Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-08-2006, 01:12 AM   #19
AlexK

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan 5MT
The Honda Fit has a timing chain???? That Honda salesman is such a dumbass. Thanks for the info. Anyone want a cheap Yaris? Just kidding, I'm loving it.
AlexK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:07 AM   #20
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
To answer one person's question, the Metro got better mileage because the only availiable engines were a Suzuki 1.0 Liter I-3 and a Suzuki 1.3 Liter I-4. The 1.0 I-3 was available in two versions, the base engine, which made 55 hp and about 45 mpg as well as the detuned XFi version which made 49 hp and made approx 58 mpg. The 1.3L I-4 made 70 hp and got about 35 mpg. Me personally, I'm awaiting a 6-speed Versa SL in Magnetic Grey, Midnight Black, or Blue Onyx to arrive at my local Nissan dealership, mostly because I'm a Nissan person and I want the options that are availiable on the Versa, my significant other drives the Yaris, and I love it, but the important thing in a daily driver is that you drive what you want. I have no use at all for the Fit, but then I'm not a fan of Honda, the only Hondas I've ever cared for were the delSol, the s2000, and the NSX
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:14 AM   #21
tomjasz
Banned

Drives: 07 Black Yaris LB, 05 Camry LE
I have yet to buy a car based on looks, Honda and Toyota have been consistently the most reliable cars. Nissan has joined the ranks of american manufacturers ans reliability is a thing of the past, especially when compared to Toyota and Honda.
tomjasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:41 AM   #22
Kiteless

Drives: US 2007 Yaris Liftback 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK
The dealer knocked $300 off the MSRP for me, price was $12800 before tax.
I already ordered a in-dash DVD/MP3 player so I won't be without tunes for long. So far I've logged 200 miles and it's great!
Good review man! And you got a super great price for the Sedan with those options. I bought a base hatch, and paid 11,400 or so after destination charge.

I too went sans radio and am waiting for a company like Metra to come out with a proper desh kit for my single DIN head unit out of my last car.

- Kiteless
Kiteless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:01 AM   #23
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
The Honda Civic CX/VX's were meant for gas mileage. The gearing was way higher to promote this.

Also realize Toyota was shooting for about 40 mpg, not better. They have smaller cars in other markets that get higher mpg.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:42 AM   #24
paultyler_82

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjasz
I have yet to buy a car based on looks, Honda and Toyota have been consistently the most reliable cars. Nissan has joined the ranks of american manufacturers ans reliability is a thing of the past, especially when compared to Toyota and Honda.

Um... What? My Infiniti has 170000 miles and is still going strong... that's like saying Toyota isn't reliable because they partnered with GM! But last time I checked, Nissan still hasn't "joined the ranks" of American manufacturers, their only current partners are Renault (French) and Samsung (Korean)... and both my I30 and my mother's Altima were built in Japan. Check your facts first man.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:08 AM   #25
Boo

Drives: PW Yaris LB AT
Paul... you may get a lucky one.

Toyota still the best!

Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:38 AM   #26
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Yeap still going on strong!!!
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:28 AM   #27
tomjasz
Banned

Drives: 07 Black Yaris LB, 05 Camry LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler_82
Um... What? My Infiniti has 170000 miles and is still going strong... that's like saying Toyota isn't reliable because they partnered with GM! But last time I checked, Nissan still hasn't "joined the ranks" of American manufacturers, their only current partners are Renault (French) and Samsung (Korean)... and both my I30 and my mother's Altima were built in Japan. Check your facts first man.
Joined the ranks of poor repair records is what I meant to imply. Nissan has lost their edge. Try taking a look at reports Consumer Reports has gotten from member Nissan buyers. THEY HAVE GONE BACKWARDS JOINING THE RANKS OF AMERICAN MANUFACTURERS!
tomjasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #28
tca4

Drives: Yaris RS (white)
Subraru not on the list?
tca4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:49 PM   #29
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
I read an article months ago that rated the toyota echo the best built car in the last decade. The least amount of repairs. Supposedly the yaris is the echo with just a better look to it.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:27 PM   #30
Boo

Drives: PW Yaris LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tca4
Subraru not on the list?
Subaru is 3 below avg.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:31 PM   #31
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
i read an article that rated the echo the most cost-effecient car to own and operate,
good on gas, stingy on service.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:47 PM   #32
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffy
i read an article that rated the echo the most cost-effecient car to own and operate,
good on gas, stingy on service.

You are right! The ECHO has been noted to be the most or one of the most low cost cars on the market (when it was produced), cause its "simplistic" its basic transportation, less stuff to break and also its a reliable Toyota, with one of the most reliable engines in its class, the ass kickin' 1.5ltr!
Old 08-13-2006, 07:01 PM   #33
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by foober
I read an article months ago that rated the toyota echo the best built car in the last decade. The least amount of repairs. Supposedly the yaris is the echo with just a better look to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_Yaris
"annoying throttle-by-wire which causes the engine to rev up between shifts if I don't let off the gas a second earlier than I'm used to"

word.. i hate HEARING the engine rev up JUST A BIT when i pop the clutch..it sucks for rev-matching since you must wait an extra couple .1's of a second

I just learned to drive stick proppa when I got my Yaris back in May. Its a piece of piss now to do

But I guess I'm still not up on all the lingo or concepts... can you explain the engine revving up business?

I know when I drive my buddy's 94 Mazda MX-3, its shifts much more smoothly than my Yaris (though I absolutely HATE the gearbox looseness/feel), you can barely tell I'm changing gears AT ALL in the MX-3... but I cant seem to get that level of smoothness out of my Yaris, even though I drive it day and day out.

And yea, re: the first post, the backseats of the Fit are fucking UNBELIEVABLE! So wonderful! That (for me) was the single most impressive thing about the Fit (that and the 60/40 standard split I believe, or at least w/ the model I was looking one (not the sport though).)

Toyota needs to find a way to duplicate those "Magic Seats". They're freaking incredible! LOVE THEM.

Jem
Jem_hadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:03 PM   #34
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by foober
Believe it. My buddy Cale who is a phenomenally massive car enthusiast to the extreme said to me:

"Echo's just don't breakdown. They just don't. Its uncanny"

Having him say that was impressive. It really helped and was a large factor when I decided to by the Yaris (basically just a better looking version of the Echo).
Jem_hadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:15 AM   #35
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Saw (IN PERSON) today the Yaris at the dealership after hours, and I looked them all up and down for a good 1/2 hour, I swear.

... and I must say, I think I *may* like the Versa better than the Yaris now... but not 100% sure yet. :S Need to reflect on the matter more.

Interior wise, its more typical and less "unique/different/strange" like the Yaris's is... overall just pretty fucking nice! Outside, in person, its not as ugly as I thought it was when I was pics of it online. Its quite fine!

And it has over twice the storage space or the Yaris, plus an extra 16 horsepower! Both those features REALLY freakin' appeal to me. Esp since the cost is literally like SPOT ON for comparably equipped Versa to my LE 4 door!

If I were buying now and we had both a Toyota and Nissan dealership in Collingwood, I dont know which I would buy anymore. :S

Jem
Old 09-24-2006, 03:02 AM   #36
paultyler_82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar
Saw (IN PERSON) today the Yaris at the dealership after hours, and I looked them all up and down for a good 1/2 hour, I swear.

... and I must say, I think I *may* like the Versa better than the Yaris now... but not 100% sure yet. :S Need to reflect on the matter more.

Interior wise, its more typical and less "unique/different/strange" like the Yaris's is... overall just pretty fucking nice! Outside, in person, its not as ugly as I thought it was when I was pics of it online. Its quite fine!

And it has over twice the storage space or the Yaris, plus an extra 16 horsepower! Both those features REALLY freakin' appeal to me. Esp since the cost is literally like SPOT ON for comparably equipped Versa to my LE 4 door!

If I were buying now and we had both a Toyota and Nissan dealership in Collingwood, I dont know which I would buy anymore. :S

Jem
So you can see where the extra features like iKey, Bluetooth, 6-speaker system with 6-disc in-dash MP3/WMA changer, and CVT (on the SL trim model only) seals the deal for someone like me who really wants them.