Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-30-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Brainstorming: Automatic Sun Shades

So I've been thinking about making automatic sun shades for my yaris for a while now. Shades that would cover the windows when you hit the alarm button, and retract when you hit the unlock button, as well as on a switch. I'd like to eventually make them for all 6 windows, but first I want a working windshield model. I think if I could get shades for all 6 windows working, the temperature in the car would be greatly decreased sitting in the sun, and it would also keep prying eyes out.

My idea for the windshield is basically to make some sort of wire frame covered in vinyl or some other cheap fabric, and then have actuators located in the A pillars pulling it up and down out of the headliner, along tracks in the A pillars. This might involve making some mount in between the headliner and the roof, for the shade to slide through. I haven't looked at the front two roof lights, but I imagine they could be wired around this whole project.

My biggest problem is, it would have to sort of bend while moving from the headliner(up position) to the windshield(lower position). So the wire frame is going to have to be flexible, but I don't want something that will lose its elasticity or break over time.

My second problem is where to put the side window shades. The front and back will probably both fit in the headliner(or I'll make them fit). I might be able to work some sort of rolled up shade in the sides of the headliner, but that only makes the elasticity/breaking problem worse. I've thought of having them come out the door, but I have manual windows, which get in the way, plus there isn't a whole lot of room in the doors. I really don't want to put anything in the B pillars, due to the pretensioner fire hazard. The A and C pillars will have actuators for the front and back windows.

I really want to stick with rigid frames and some sort of vinyl material. I'm thinking this will trap the heat in between the shades and the window best.

Anyone know what the frames of regular folding sun shades is? If I could find some of that I might be a lot better off.

Any ideas to get this project moving would be awesome..
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
crime that bad where you are?

i think the front and back wouldnt be too hard.. other than you have a rear view mirror in the way...

i think garage door style would work best .. so it bends.. basically lots of vertical interlocked sheets of whatever material you want to use.. .. this could add alot of weight to the car..

it might intrique somebody to do more damage to the car too.. or wonder whats so important in thecar that you went through all that trouble.

if you have a ton of money.. get kevlar.. 5 sheets of that stuff is bullet proof. ( i used to stitch it into firesuits when i worked in a firesuit factory :)
Old 08-01-2009, 01:02 AM   #3
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyGiant View Post
crime that bad where you are?

it might intrigue somebody to do more damage to the car too.. or wonder whats so important in thecar that you went through all that trouble.
I'm kind of hoping most yaris/economy crime is crime of opportunity. I see your GPS mount/CD player/whatever and I'm gonna break your window and take it.

Plus I'm interested to see how much sun/heat I can keep from getting into the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyGiant View Post
i think the front and back wouldnt be too hard.. other than you have a rear view mirror in the way...

i think garage door style would work best .. so it bends.. basically lots of vertical interlocked sheets of whatever material you want to use.. .. this could add alot of weight to the car..
That's a pretty good idea actually. I'm hoping to find the wire frame material from the shades that you cross and fold into circles. That stuff seems super light and resilient.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:51 AM   #4
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
I've had that same idea for years just waiting for an automaker to offer them. I would be surprised if someone here didn't bring this into reality.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
Chaldon

Drives: 08 Yaris 3d
I've been hatching this idea as well. Only what I've come up with is a sort of manual pull-down (or up) system like overhead projector screens. It would glide inside runner channels or fasten with clips or hooks. I'd like to think a mirror tint on the front three windows w/ screens and tinted @ %18 premium on the rear 3 windows (2dh lift) would keep sun heat away.

Now that I think about it more... splitting the screen on the windshield defeats the rear view mirror issue. If I was anal about light penetration I could seal the seams with extra material tabs and connect with velcro (easy) or harder, small embedded magnets. The more I consider magnets the more I like them as an option. Interesting ways to embed them seamlessly, with some paint, into the door near the window.

In fact it might be easier to have custom pre-cut, pop-out, window shades (almost static cling) that snaps into place with embedded dot magnets. They'd fit in there like a closed fist to an open hand. Your stiff framed shade idea works for this too. it makes it easily fold able for storage behind the driver seat.

There is a lot of open air space above the arm rests and the window. How about an attachment box that houses the shade and doubles as higher up arm rest. Personally, I'd like mine an inch or 2 higher. I'm kicking ideas around now about sticking a keyboard wrist rest there, lol.

This thread is a year old, btw. Any luck?
Chaldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:13 AM   #6
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
Quote:
If I was anal about light penetration
umm...
Old 10-28-2010, 05:05 AM   #7
Chaldon

Drives: 08 Yaris 3d
haha... it harkens back to high school days with girlfriends. "People can see..."

lol, and while ur at it drop some caffeine pills & Tylenol in the glove box for tiredness and headaches. To this day I still keep bottled water in the rear cup holders. For me though- I get thirsty
Chaldon is offline   Reply With Quote