Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-16-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
p123456789

Drives: 07 lb jeep tj
help me pick a smartphone

I am finally ready to get a new phone (my samsung gravity is having receepion issues) I am also switching to verizon because they offer a 21% discount to gm employees. My picks are the droid x, iphone 4 and the samsung fascinate. I need a phone that has good battery life a good camera and a good screen. It would also be nice if it could withstand being dropped onto concrete. I really like the way my ipod touch functions but I'm really leanin towards the droid x.
p123456789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
if you want simple specs check out gsmarena they have all carriers phones and you can compare two at a time I usually steer towars the phones that have the three polls on the left of the screen above 8.

just type the phone model or name into the search at the top right
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
p123456789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
if you want simple specs check out gsmarena they have all carriers phones and you can compare two at a time I usually steer towars the phones that have the three polls on the left of the screen above 8.

just type the phone model or name into the search at the top right
Thanks for that website I'm leaning towards the droid x although my wife wants me to get the iphone.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:08 AM   #4
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Droid X FTW

Although in my humble opinion, no smartphone should be dropped on concrete.

I would get the most heavy duty Otterbox case for your phone ASAP (no matter what phone you get) so in case you do drop it, the phone will probably be OK. Oh, yeah, and you should probably insure it if you think you're gonna drop it ;)

As to iPhone v. Droid. v. something else, I would say that's purely a matter of personal preference. You should go to Verizon and play with the devices and see what works best for you.

I'm partial to Android myself. iPhone was married to AT&T for too long and out here in SF, AT&T sucks so much, dropped calls and slow connections are routine. So I ended up turning to Android and I really like it a whole lot now. I think it surpasses the iPhone in many ways, but maybe not in every way so ultimately you have to decide what you like best.

The Samsung line has been slow to get OS updates so, I would go with the Droid X instead. .02
Old 04-17-2011, 12:13 AM   #5
tomato
Super Moderator

This is otterbox http://www.otterbox.com/

their cases rule.

Oh, and get a Zagg screen, too.

Good luck. You've already done the hard work (picked the carrier). Now you've got to decide what you want. You say your wife wants the iPhone but is the phone for her or for you? You should get a device that works for the person using it. If the phone is for your wife, then get what she wants. If the phone is for you, then get what you want.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:01 AM   #6
p123456789

My wife has a thing for anything apple so she would just pick it as a default lol. I have to admit though I do prefer the Imac over my computer. I dont intend to drop it on concrete but I work in a shop so more than likely its going to happen so the otterbox case is a must I also like how you can customize the droid alot more.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:40 AM   #7
tomato
Super Moderator

Yeah, but a smartphone is a personal device. So that's why I was saying you have to pick what YOU want. Your wife is gonna want her own iPhone upgrade eventually anyway, it won't do if you have one and she doesn't so that's why I was saying, pick what YOU want. The iPhone is cool but no longer rules the market. There is a lot of good android phones nowadays that can hold their own (and personally I think perform better than the iPhone, but that's my opinion ).

yeah, get the most rugged case they have at Otterbox. I have the commuter series, it's the middle case and I've dropped my phone a number of times on the carpet. If you work at a shop, you'll drop it, too. Hand-held devices occasionally fall, that's a given. I lost 2 iPods due to drops on the sidewalk so now I'm ***really ** careful what kind of case I put on my devices. Otterbox is one of the top and most rugged out there and well worth the money.

Good luck with your decision!

(I'm partial to Android myself but it wasn't an easy decision, and then I was split between 2 android phones... I still miss my Nexus One now and then. ;)
Old 04-17-2011, 02:59 AM   #8
Shroomster

how about the Droid Bionic since you're going to VzW

or the Thunderbolt
Old 04-17-2011, 04:27 AM   #9
aareyn

Drives: yaris sedan
I'll never ditch the iphones (been using them before droid came out, don't want to repurchase apps, I have apple kind of bent over in the sense that if I break my phone on purpose they replace it free of charge), but I know plenty of satisfied droid users. There's no right answer, just go down to verizon and play with each phone and choose the one you like.
aareyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
p123456789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
how about the Droid Bionic since you're going to VzW

or the Thunderbolt

The thunderbolt is a little too pricey and hasn't been out long enough yet also a friend at work has it and the battery life is horrible they also make a 3500 mah extended battery for the droidx. The droid bionic isn't listed in on the verizon website.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #11
p123456789

You guys are right I have to wait until I go down there to deciede.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #12
p123456789

I actually chose the iphone I liked how everything worked and it does the things I need it to do. The battery life is also better and the screen seemed a little more clear the phone also feels like a quality product instead of cheap and plasticy. The droid does have more features though like hdmi out but you could not get netflix on it also the iphone has alot more apps. It really doesnt matter I've had a samsung gravity for the past 3 years so anything is an upgrade and will do the job for me just fine next time I will try a droid phone though.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #13
tomato
Super Moderator

Well, with an iPhone you'll probably get a lot more choices of cases, but the iPhone is also more fragile, believe it or not, so don't wait to get your extra-rugged . Nothing looks stupider than a beautiful new phone with a smashed screen (they're around, I've seen them ;)

The display on the iPhone is crisper, agreed. The Nexus One was also really crisp compared to my EVO. Anything else is a matter of personal preference, I guess ;)

(I still think Android rules, just thought I"d throw that in there in passing )

Enjoy your new phone!

Last edited by tomato; 04-17-2011 at 05:59 PM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #14
p123456789

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Well, with an iPhone you'll probably get a lot more choices of cases, but the iPhone is also more fragile, believe it or not, so don't wait to get your extra-rugged . Nothing looks stupider than a beautiful new phone with a smashed screen (they're around, I've seen them ;)

The display on the iPhone is crisper, agreed. The Nexus One was also really crisp compared to my EVO. Anything else is a matter of personal preference, I guess ;)

(I still think Android rules, just thought I"d throw that in there in passing )

Enjoy your new phone!

are the otter box cases really the best? I agree the iphone is probably the most fragile the lady at the store tried to agrue with me about that lol.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #15
tomato
Super Moderator

I think so, but I've seen a couple of others at MacWorld. Can't remember the name now. Just google "rugged iphone cases" and see what you get. Otterbox has been around for a while, but the iPhone has the most cases so look around a little. I've seen a guy on the train with a very cool, very rugged case, great colors, but he paid close to $100. I don't think that's necessary. You're almost better off just insuring the phone instead ;)

I thought I had a couple of otterbox coupons left from MacWorld and dang it, they expired last month. :( Too bad, I would have gladly given them to you.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:43 AM   #16
Shroomster

not to be rude but android O.S actually supplied NetFlix usability before apple iOs. just depends on which phone you have, i.e. I have a MyTouch 3g and can't run Netflix or ---- Adobe Flash anything (neither can your iPhone btw)

Glad you made a choice :) and like you said maybe next time you'll try android
Old 04-18-2011, 12:53 AM   #17
aareyn

Drives: yaris sedan
Otterbox cases are definitely the way to go, mine was $30, and it's fallen in snow, been thrown across the room, etc. and the phone survived.
Also, if you want flash on your iPhone, there's an app called skyfire(2.99) that works as an Internet browser that can run most flash content...
aareyn is offline   Reply With Quote