Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
Reeves360

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan, 91 ToyotaTruck
Send a message via AIM to Reeves360 Send a message via MSN to Reeves360 Send a message via Yahoo to Reeves360
Alternator Whine?

I have a Pioneer AVH-4200DVD installed in my 09 Yaris. It works pretty good except for a few minor OS usability issues I personally have with it.

I've been running a 30GB iPod Video attached to my unit for about 6 months now and haven't had many problems (all have been on the iPod end). I'm using the Pioneer cable to connect my iPod Video to the stereo. It connects to the USB port on the unit and to the 1/8" headphone input. I've had no extra noise or static when using my set up this way.

I also have a 1TB Seagate Ulta Slim external HDD that I can hook up in my glove box if I want to unplug my iPod, I'm pretty pumped up on this bad boy and it works great but also gets it's power from the units USB port.

I finally got around to wiring my factory AUX cable up to the RCA inputs on my Pioneer unit so that I could stream music and listen to podcasts via the head phone jack on my phone.

The issue is I get really bad ground noise ONLY when listening to my Sprint EVO while it's charging from the stock cigarette lighter. If I unplug the power cord it stops making the bad ground static and sounds great!

I have the system hooked up like this: EVO > 1/8" Head phone cord > Factory AUX input spliced to RCA > into back of the stereo RCA input. Phone is plugged into the factory cigarette lighter with a USB power adapter.

I can't remember where I pulled power for the Pioneer unit but I think it's from the factory location since I used a factory to Pioneer wiring harness.

Any suggestions would be great!

As far as I understand if I ran a better ground from a different location (the battery) to the stereo that would fix my issue. Seems like I shouldn't have to do this. Also I don't remember having this issue when using the factory stereo and AUX input with my phone but am not 100% sure on that one.
Reeves360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, ground, static, stereo