Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #37
o2cavyss

Drives: 2009 sedan
so, finished the install on Monday, but the tweeters aren't working right. They came on briefly then went out with only the woofers and the sub making sound. Tried moving the connection of the tweeters from the -0 to the -3 on the crossover...it did nothing. When we put it back, it still wasn't working until we got out of the car to check everything else. They started working again without us touching anything and continued working until I noticed this morning that only the driverside tweeter was the only one working. Then tonight the driverside tweeter went out too. It seems the problem has to be between the crossover and the tweeters because everything else is working fine. I wouldn't think it is the wiring connection because I had very experienced help and it is affecting both tweeters.
ANY IDEAS?
o2cavyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #38
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Everything else is fine?

My first reaction is to check the outs on the amplifier...

what kind of crossover do you have on the amplifier?
Old 03-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #39
o2cavyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Everything else is fine?

My first reaction is to check the outs on the amplifier...

what kind of crossover do you have on the amplifier?
originally the first two channels (the ones powering the crossovers for the components) were set at High pass filter on the amp but then changed to full range. The other two channels are bridged for the sub and set on low pass filter. The problem with the tweeters occurred on both high pass and full range though.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:13 AM   #40
o2cavyss

I hope I understood that question right sqcomp. Any other ideas?
Old 03-04-2010, 04:38 PM   #41
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
you check the ohm load (DCR) of the tweets yet? do both show the same load?

Also, check your wiring, make sure there isn't a single strand of copper that is frayed at your connections (especially speakers terminals & speaker outs on the amp). Such an event could cause a short... and from there a whole gang of problems.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #42
o2cavyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
you check the ohm load (DCR) of the tweets yet? do both show the same load?

Also, check your wiring, make sure there isn't a single strand of copper that is frayed at your connections (especially speakers terminals & speaker outs on the amp). Such an event could cause a short... and from there a whole gang of problems.
how do I check the ohm load?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #43
o2cavyss

See anything that could be causing the problem?

Old 03-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #44
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
What is THIS? A little strand of wire floating around in there?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Xover.jpg (398.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 03-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #45
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
To make sure you don't have a bad connection in your crossover or component tweeters, try hooking up a plain old coax speaker, see if you get your high's and mid's.

Just test everything with "process of elimination".

That's what I do.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:25 PM   #46
o2cavyss

I've been off the site for a while dealing with wedding stuff. Just before the wedding, I got in contact with sonicelectronix and they said "if you've checked all the wiring then it sounds like the tweeters (or the crossover) are bad." So I need to send in the component system so they can test it and determine that it is not functioning correctly. If they find that it is working, they'll charge me a $25 testing fee and charge me for shipping to them and back to me. The other problem is because I clipped the rear speaker wire to get the signal, once the front speakers are out of the car I wont be able to listen to music for a few weeks and I spend A LOT of time in the car. Any body have any other solutions to this problem before taking the speakers out? Maybe finding another set of crossovers or tweeters or just buying another component set?

Also, to add to the diagnosis...I don't know if it's just because i've been listening to this for so long now without the tweeters, but it almost sounds like it's trying to push the full range of sound out of the woofers instead of sending the highs to the tweeters. Its hard to describe...kind of "muddy" when there is a lot going on in the music like the woofer is trying to do too much. Sound possible/plausible?
Old 03-31-2010, 01:36 AM   #47
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
You sure the tweets aren't getting caught in the window track and perhaps cut the wire. I'm such a noob and did this so my tweets are cutting in and out. I have the same set-up.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:29 AM   #48
o2cavyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by _S7V7N_ View Post
You sure the tweets aren't getting caught in the window track and perhaps cut the wire. I'm such a noob and did this so my tweets are cutting in and out. I have the same set-up.
I was having this problem before ever touching the windows, but i'll check. I'm thinking i'm gonna redo all the connections today just to be entirely sure before I go through the trouble of sending them back.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:39 AM   #49
_S7V7N_

Has to be something simple, Let us know if you find anything.

Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
Old 03-31-2010, 01:10 PM   #50
o2cavyss

turns out it was something simple (That's why its been bugging me). It seemed highly unlikely that they would have both been messed up. I found that the skinny wires that come off the tweeters either broke when crimping to the 16 gauge wires or they melted. I redid all the connections MYSELF to make sure nothing like this was missed again. Sounds good having the highs back, now I just need to get rid of the induced noise coming out of them and I'll be all good.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:29 PM   #51
o2cavyss

both sides like this
Old 03-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #52
_S7V7N_

Yep the shield seems to be very thin, mine looked the exact same way. I may end up throwing some of that wire loom stuff on them just to be sure they're protected. Glad the problem shooting was a success. The induced noise may be from your rca's, are they brand new ? How close to the power did you run them ? If not check the ground on your amp and make sure there's no ground loop. It's all on troubleshooting bro, it's usually very simple fixes.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:57 AM   #53
o2cavyss

The rca's are brand new and this is as close as they get to the power wire

power wire goes from there, under the seat, to the front of the car and rca's go under the mat in the trunk to the left rear corner of the trunk here

Im getting two noises, a whistling/whining sound that increases as the rpms increase (probably has to do with the crossovers being to close to the front of the car), and a static that is constant regardless of volume level or engine speed (likely some sort of ground loop, idk).
Old 04-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #54
_S7V7N_

Maybe some sort of Induced noise from the seats. The back of the seats are metal and your screws drill through them which are touching the amp. That's why they usually tell you to mount your amp to wood. I would start there first see if the Hissing stops. As far as the whining, I'd check your grounds, did you scrape off the paint off all the ground points ? And do you have more than one ground tied to a certain point ?