Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
patm

Drives: 2007 yaris sedan
HAT Mirus

Anyone hear the Mirus. Thoughts.

谢谢, patm
patm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Yes, but I'm HEAVILY biased towards the brand.

I'm in Scott Buwalda's (the owner of Hybrid Audio Technologies) inner circle. I'm "co-piloting" his G-35 at SBN/INAC on the 23rd...

That being said, I can say this without any bias:

the Imagine components are Hybrid Audio Technologies' best selling speakers. Mirus is the step before Imagine. Know that if you get into the Mirus, you'll have at least a 60% trade up value towards any other HAT speaker.

Now, my biased opinion is such that you would compare the Mirus set to perhaps a Hertz Energy coax. The Mirus should have a better bass response and a smoother tweeter.

The truth will be when they're in the doors. If you hear them in a sound board, they sound better in a vehicle.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Hey, I'm not in Scott's inner circle, but if I had to do this all over again.. eyes closed... HAT would be my only choice!

D.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
Hey, I'm not in Scott's inner circle, but if I had to do this all over again.. eyes closed... HAT would be my only choice!

D.
Why exactly?
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
TOLMACH

Quote:
Originally Posted by patm View Post
Anyone hear the Mirus. Thoughts.

谢谢, patm
Hi,

I have no experience with Mirus, but couple things that would prevent me from buying them
- coaxials are never a best choice for front speakers- you really want at least a separate tweeter mounted somewhere around top part of the doors or a-pillars to allow more-on-axis response in the high range frequencies. OEM toyota yaris front speakers are very good full range speakers, which do not perform very well in the mid/high ranges because of terrible door grilles .. buying coaxicals simply will not help you.. I am also not a big fan of 20 mm tweeters.. these are mostly destined for 3 ways systems as a supertweeter or to be part of coaxials (due to obvious reasons).. not a real tweeter in a two way component system

- as far as i remember you do not plan installing a subwoofer which means you really want the front speakers capable of handling bass - mirus will not do the job - FS (res frequency) of 75 hz is just too high (at 12db/oct you would have to cross them at 80 hz).. oem woofers perform better in the 40-3000 hz range (oem woofers are very good in fact)

http://www.hybrid-audio.com/document...rus_Manual.pdf

Question: What is your budget?

PS: I LOVE to read their web-site.. it is SO FUNNY (full of irresponsible marketing BS)

just my 2 cents

Last edited by TOLMACH; 03-13-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Interesting...

Well, give the OP another option aside from the stock speakers that you would run.

I'll reserve my artillery fire on your position off the irresponsible marketing comment. I now know why you and I are on opposite sides most of the time. The last time I noticed, 40 - 3000 Hz is far from full range.

The informational content offered by HAT is a lot more than most, if not all, speaker manufacturers. Detail for us what you want to classify as "irresponsible marketing BS". Let us know where you stand exactly. I would love to know why you have the hate for Hybrid Audio. Because most assuredly, these speakers have proven themselves time and time again...

Last edited by sqcomp; 03-13-2012 at 02:15 PM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
TOLMACH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Interesting...

Well, give the OP another option aside from the stock speakers that you would run.
Gladly

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...osound-system/
http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...osound-system/
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...TS-D1720C.aspx
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...io_CK_6_V.aspx
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...io_db5251.aspx

This is truly remarkable stuff if budget allows
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...SPX-17PRO.aspx

Quote:
Interesting...

I'll reserve my artillery fire on your position off the irresponsible marketing comment. I now know why you and I are on opposite sides most of the time. The last time I noticed, 40 - 3000 Hz is far from full range.
Did I say that?

Quote:
Interesting...

The informational content offered by HAT is a lot more than most, if not all, speaker manufacturers. Detail for us what you want to classify as "irresponsible marketing BS". Let us know where you stand exactly. I would love to know why you have the hate for Hybrid Audio. Because most assuredly, these speakers have proven themselves time and time again...
OK.. see my next post.. I do not hate them.. in fact, I love their web-site.. it gives me joy every time I see it ))

Quote:
Interesting...
I now know why you and I are on opposite sides most of the time.
Why? I am not opposite or anything to you.. .. I respect what you do with your car.. so I am WITH you! Would love to see your own thread one day (as opposed to see your posts in Dereck's thread)

Last edited by TOLMACH; 03-13-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
TOLMACH

As per request of SQ.. couple comments of mine re HAT.. since we are speaking about Mirus, I copy-pasted first couple pages from its manual and inserted my comments. rather than copypasting specific paragraphs that I have problems with (so that the whole document piece could be seen in context).. I have more problems with their product.. but guess this will suffice

Taken from here..
http://www.hybrid-audio.com/document...rus_Manual.pdf

Aslo, if anyone needs I have full specs of mirus 6.5 speakers (omitted in the manual).. courtesy of Scott B.

Welcome and Introduction
Congratulations on your purchase of high performance Mirus-series mobile audio coaxial loudspeakers, and welcome to the world of Hybrid Audio Technologies, where high-end mobile audio loudspeaker development is our passion! When installed and set-up properly, the Mirus coaxial system you have purchased will make a remarkable improvement in the sound quality of any original equipment (OE) sound system and give years of superior performance

[Comment: WOW what a promise !!!.. Would make remarkable improvement to any OEM system???? Obviously not for Toyota Yaris (see my comments above).. How about cars with oem 3-way systems and 8 inch woofers?].

Thank you for going “on line” to read and download your User’s Manual. Our offices are located amongst the evergreens in North Georgia USA, and we happen to like trees. Aside from the obvious aesthetic benefits, trees improve our air, protect our water, save energy, and improve economic sustainability. Additionally, it is expensive to print and distribute thousands of copies of an owner’s manual; we’d rather invest our production dollars into an incredible line-up of speaker systems for
your listening pleasure. With online resources becoming the main source of information for more and more people, we are pleased that you’re here, reading this manual on line, verses having a print copy which might get read once and put back into the gift box, or worse yet, discarded.

With the publication of this user’s manual, it is our goal to assist the “do it yourself” enthusiast and professional installer alike in getting the highest level of performance out of Mirus 2-way coaxial sets using straight-forward installation advice and practical application of timeless acoustic principles.

Keep this user’s manual handy throughout your installation process, and any time you go to improve your audio system with other Hybrid Audio Technologies products, or perhaps to take advantage of our lifetime guaranteed value trade-in program. We are confident that if the principles explained in this manual are exercised in your own installation, you will be ecstatic with the sound quality outcome!

We realize that you have a choice in loudspeakers, and are thrilled that you have chosen the Mirus series. For more information about Hybrid Audio Technologies, our philosophies regarding high-end mobile audio [Comment: how does this product relate to the word “high end”?], to learn more about our lifetime guaranteed value program, and for information about our other products, please visit us online at www.hybrid-audio.com.

Thank you, and happy listening!

Scott E. Buwalda
Founder – Hybrid Audio Technologies

Mirus Individual Component Parameters

Your Mirus system contains speaker drivers and a tweeter passive crossover network that were developed and assembled with a significant effort in research and development, materials science engineering, an exhaustive level of sampling and prototyping, real-world testing, and obsessive attention to detail.

The specifications and parameters of your Mirus coaxial system is detailed as
follows:

Midbass Speakers (Mirus M4, Mirus M5, Mirus M6, Mirus M57, and Mirus M69)
Frame: Stamped and powder-coated steel. The basket is a high-quality stamped steel design, which plays a critical role in aligning the voice coil in the magnetic circuit. The frames are proprietarily tooled by Hybrid Audio to allow for the inverted mounting of the surround, discussed in detail below. The stamped steel frame provides adequate clamping force in relation to its mass, and ensures that the voice coil remains centered in the former.

[Translation from HAT language to English: Sorry guys, we do not think that you deserve the die-cast baskets unlike some of our competitors in the given price range.. but this baskets will still do the job.. (I agree, just do not understand why put the above blurb on frames into the manual..] .. Also, you will be surpised to find out what is really critical in aligning the voice coil in the magnetic field: some underpaid guy at the production line ))

Cone: Pressed paper with water proof treatment. It is widely acknowledged that pressed paper cones are the best marriage of lightness, stiffness, and ability of the cone to damp unwanted cone and edge modes and resonances (read: distortion).

[Comment: I personally like the paper cones but the statement that paper cones are “the best marriage of lightness, stiffness, and ability of the cone to damp unwanted coneand edge modes and resonances” is totally debatable]

The paper cone, known for its excellent sonic attributes, is water proof, thanks to a polymer developed exclusive and proprietarily by Hybrid Audio Technologies. The treatment does not change the look and parameters of the driver like oldfashioned “glossy” polymers which added an appreciable amount of moving mass and significantly colored the sound.

[Hmmmm.. I do not really want to waste time digging for examples proving it wrong.. will just use example, provided by SQCOMP – Hertz ESK.. very cheap italian designed coaxials.. strangely they have “oldfashioned glossy paper cones” which which are lighter in weight than the ones used by HAT: 11.2 grams vs 12.05 grams.. http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/Doc/pdf_ecx165.pdf .. and NO, they do not have significant colouring of the sound.. they sound quite neutral in fact]

No, the Mirus cones look like any “normal” paper cone, but in reality are likely the only high-performance water proof paper cone car audio speaker systems on the market The treatment protects the cone from periodic drips (such as inside a door panel), as well as accidental splashes to the front of the cone. On the hybrid-audio.com website, we have hosted a video of an actual water-proof demonstration where we pour two liters of water over an Imagine coaxial (sibling to the Mirus coaxial that uses the same cone topology), and then connect it to a musical source. That video is located here:

[Comment: I LOVE non-compromizing statements like “the only”, “the best”, etc. so typical for HAT. in fact = total BS.. How about the cheap Hertz above ?].

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sso8s...el_video_title

Tweeter Pole Piece: Cast ABS plastic. The tweeter pole piece is ABS and effectively places the tweeter forward of the cone, centered, for optimal operation. The pole piece contains a unique swiveling feature to allow for aiming of the tweeter.

[Swivelling.. Unique feature? .. Anyways, I like better the following type of design for coaxials with center cap instead of center plugs http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu..._CK_5_III.aspx ]

Surround: Inverted high-loss rubber surround. The inverted high-loss rubber surround (in concert with the spider, detailed below), helps to provide the compliance and “restorative force” needed for the Mirus drivers to play effectively into the lower coaxials, and perhaps even upper subbass frequencies (depending on in-car cabin gain and other factors)

[In fact, any surround achieves the same.. inverted surround is just regular one but inverted.. no fancy stuff like seen in some upper level speakers.. just marketing blurb].

You'll also know a Hybrid Audio midrange and coaxials design by its inverted surround; this design feature allows for the use of a smaller height grille, better clearance with OEM panels, and more flexibility in mounting options. The inverted surround is a Hybrid Audio exclusive in automobile loudspeakers.

[ Btw, does the grille come standard as is the case with most speakers in this price range?]

Spider: Phenolic fabric and tinned tinsel leads. The spider is the brownish/yellow corrugated (rippled) fabric that attaches the cone and voice coil. The spider for the Mirus designs was the subject of a considerable amount of our research and development. The spider is a phenolic symmetricallyrolled fabric which provides excellent restorative force during excursion. The tinsel leads are
connected to real epoxy PCB, not flimsy cardboard, unheard of in the price range of Mirus.

[.. Unheard?.. Hmm.. how about the above mentioned cheap Hertz coaxials?.. same phenolic nomex spyder.. ]

Voice Coil and Motor System: The voice coil used in the Mirus coaxials is a 2-layer aluminized copper wire coils on a round former. An “overhung” voice coil was selected to improve sensitivity while still keeping distortion to a minimum.

[Translation: average voice coil same as in most cheap speakers.. no fancy stuff that Morel or other producers use in the high end systems (hex shaped wires), just regular one-inch voice coil.]

Tweeter Speakers (Mirus M1)
Dome: Small diameter impregnated silk textile dome with high-loss rubber suspension. The M1 has an impregnated fine cloth silk dome diaphragm for a linear, smooth sound, with a high-loss rubber suspension to damp edge modes and resonances. The dome is of extremely low mass and is much less susceptible to mechanical deformation than other designs, and yet yields a smooth response over the extent of its range

At Hybrid Audio Technologies, we feel larger diaphragm tweeters sound heavy and unremarkable, lack detail in the upper treble frequencies, have undesirable polar response, and are difficult to install. Additionally, we find metal dome tweeters to be harsh, brittle, and sound unrealistic.

[What???????????? This is EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. if you have Esotars or SS7000 throw them in the garbage bag immediately.. 8 bucks a pair coax HAT tweeter are a weapon of a true audiophile.. I do not think I should further comment on this.. ]

Gone to get rid of my Supremos ((

Last edited by TOLMACH; 03-14-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:13 AM   #9
derickveliz2

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLMACH View Post
Why exactly?
See all my life is full of passions and dreams, it's very common on me to become a FAN of some thing I like, like cars a Mercedes Benz vrs a Toyota both cars are great, and good, I had Toyota cars before I feel they are good then I become a FAN.

But I'm not here to talk about cars, I've been a FAN of Pioneer all my life, and I still believe in Pioneer, hey wait! my HU is Pioneer!

I also like Kicker, JVL, or HERTZ for example, my MIDs are HL-70 HERTZ... why I didn't buy HAT well it's easy when I was shopping the HL-70 and HAT L3 where in my list, about the same price but HL-70 had better looks! now I'm saving to replace them with the new high end 3" Mids from HAT, why?... because I believe in a good product. Not that HERTZ isn't a good product, HERTZ is great! It's like a Ferrari and Lamborghini...

Now from experience I like costumer service... (end user my friend)
I had to contact Pioneer a couple of times... took a while to get an answer, same with HERTZ 2 or 3 weeks to respond... One day I email HAT, 5 minutes later I get the owner of the company calling my cell phone. Even I didn't buy anything I just had a question...

and since then every time I ask I get an answer, very friendly with lots of information and tips. Every body knows I wasn't born in the U.S. (or tell because I write with accent, jeje) even though I can vote! and I like to participate and be part of the culture, I like when a product says... "Made in the USA" [a little bit of support doesn't hurt]

what others say and what I read... yes good and bad, but they must be doing some thing right! wining a bunch of tournaments! I know there is lots of Marketing involve, sales and profit, but thinking outside the box... that's the world we are living...

I've gained so much knowledge from HAT database that I'm a FAN, I like their products and I use them with great satisfaction.

what if there was no HAT, .... well then It would be some thing else like Alpine, Focal, etc. Same thing with cars, HONDA is good too so is VW and Porsche, but what makes a good product really good is when I like it.

Every body is different and every body listens in a different way; there is no rule of thumb just opinions, that is why the colors are there for... so you pick the one you like best. It doesn't matter to me what he/she gets, I gave my opinion of what would I do if I had to do it all over again... I even posted today some thing very funny and it goes like this...

"I do not recommend HAT products, they are really good and I'm very selfish"

So I hope I answered your question "Why exactly?"....

Lets help our friends and lets get them exited about some thing we like, lets share the passion we live every day with our cars and sound systems.

If I had started this thread I probably would have been very exited with a response like "go for it they sound great" because I can see where I'm going.

Lets have fun! we are cool! YarisWorld COOL!

D.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:36 AM   #10
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Tolm,

Irresponsible marketing is NOT what you don't like. It's readily apparent. The text you're quoting out of the posted manual and the reasons for it are for the most part reactions of your opinion. If you chose to react with "irresponsible marketing", so be it.

I'll put it to you this way, bring your best. Supremeos or esotars...what have you. I would love to demonstrate, in the lanes, why HAT is so damned good as a whole. How about the western Canadian regionals in August is a great time. You are also invited to the upcoming events in Washington and Oregon.

"Marketing" aside, I am confident that HAT products will put anything else in second place. HAT has been doing that for years now. The sound championships across the big three sanctioning organizations prove it. Heck, just last month, Jim Becker achieved one of the highest scores ever in MECA competition with Imagines. That sparked a firestorm of disbelief.

Members like you is why I stopped my own thread. Non-ending criticism of anything I use or try to do. I proved them wrong about HAT products with a win at the western Canadian finals...with a half built car against real competition.

It's unfortunate, but it's readily apparent that you do not like Hybrid Audio Technologies products. I would rather simply keep the dialog at a certain level. You've given your alternate choices of speakers. Cool. I'll rest on the fact that I can personally beat any brand of competition at any price point in sanctioned competition with HAT products. I've proven it and will continue to do so in the only way we can...in the lanes.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #11
derickveliz2

Quote:
How about the western Canadian regionals in August is a great time. You are also invited to the upcoming events in Washington and Oregon.
I want to go... mmm 2nd thought... to far for me )o:

D.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Derick...

No worries mang. You can go to the Eastern Canadian championships in Toronto IIRC. If you decide you want to, let me know. I'll hook you up with Larry Woolcot and Louis Chouinard. They are both Team Hybrids members that can help you in your first competition.

In the mean time you and I can work on a build log that will put the judges at rest and give you full points...if you want.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

This is for the OP:

"I picked up the Hybrid Audio line on a hunch from a friend and the reviews that I had read having never actually heard them. I knew the quality was top notch and were supposed to be comparable to many of the other top brands. What I didn't expect was for them to blow them out of the water.

'Good God' is all I had to say. The imaging, the clarity and the definition... I had also just had a Hertz demo car come by my shop 4 days beforehand so I had a crystal point to judge on. the 6.5" mid basses in the door had more than enough umph, even crossed over below 40 hz, if I'm not mistaken. L3s in the dash were unreal as far as range and sound quality. The Legatia tweeters were crystal clear. The only lacking component of these were when playing on "Queen of the Damned soundtrack and that very well could have been the recording as it was a 8+ year old CD that's been used very well. But we sat down for over 2 hours and just sampled music from "O Brother Where Art Thou, Crystal Method, Michael Jackson, Enya, 311, etc... nothing missed a beat.

Honestly it is hard to put the sound quality of these components into words except that it definently gives my $30,000 Bang & Olufsen home stereo a run for it's money.

If anyone on here was wondering of their quality, I definently urge you to contact a Hybrid dealer or rep to find someone with some of their components.

Chad Bosworth
Bosworth Audio Sound Solutions
Brand new Hybrid Audio Technologies dealer"

There's this as well:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...d-hybrids.html

Then there's this:

"Unbeknownst to me, the owner of the shop I frequent took a high paying customer's Focal K2 tweeter, along with the customer's Morel Supremo Piccolo tweeter, and your (our, mine, whatever) L1 Pro SE tweeter on a head to head challenge. The test was something off the cuff, tweeters wrapped in towels (not that the Morel or Legatia needed to be), on the test bench playing off a cheap head unit, cheap amplifier, and Morel mids (mounted above the working area backing the tweeters up.

The following is coming from the shop owner, Jim, who has been reserved to say the least about HAT (even though he praises the L4 and now the L1 Pro SE). Jim has been installing for over 20 years now and has been around the block. His experience is something I draw off of every time I'm in the shop. Jim came up to me as I had a lull after the installation of my last LRx 2.9 and after he texture coated the driver's side A-pillar for my car. I was sitting on one of the shop chairs fiddle-farting around on this site...He told me about what had happened last week.

Jim and the customer (Steve), both their reactions were, "WOW!" They grabbed one of the L1 Pro SEs after comparing the K2 tweeter against the Morel Piccolo. Those two showed that the piccolo was much more smooth especially at the higher registers than the K2. Jim mentioned that the K2 was noticeably harsh...in "typical Focal style". Steve was about to pack his bags and declare the Morel Supremo Piccolo the king of the world when, I imagine, Jim wanted out of sheer curiosity to see if the L1 Pro SE had anything to it's reputation that I keep spouting off about.

To put the comparison succinctly, the L1 Pro SE made the oh so mighty Supremo Piccolo sound like the harsh K2 Focal tweeter to the same extent that the Morel had outshined the Focal. When Jim was describing this to me, his eyes were big. I seldom have seen Jim have reactions like that...especially over tweeters. In his reaction I could read the truth. The L1 Pro SE is arguably the best tweeter he'd ever heard. His descriptors were, "naturally warm, true to the sound, even, and not harsh in any way on the top end". He also mentioned that the L1 Pro SE tweeters were easily more able on the bottom end where the piccolo couldn't reach. We've both worked with top end brands, Focal's Audiom tweeters were a source of lusting for me years ago (no longer). He described the L1 Pro SE tweeters as so much more than the Morel, the raw ability in the frequency response, especially the lower end, was huge. I'm telling you Jim is not given to exaggeration or excitement. He had excitement when he talked about the L1 Pro SE.

I think this illustrates Jim's look when he heard how much better the L1 Pro SE tweeters were over the Morel Supremo tweeters:

"

Next:

"I wanted to drop you note about the quality of Clarus 6.5 speaker system. Travis at Gig Harbor Auto Works in Gig Harbor, WA told about your product and let me listen to the set up in his company truck. It was impressive to say the least. Every vehicle I own or have every owned has upgraded audio systems to include my home. Sound quality is paramount with my family and friends of the company I work with. The shop specializes in performance, tuning, maintenance our client base are owners of Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Ferrari, and Lamborghini among other high end sports cars. Who expect quality and performance. The point of telling you this is I understand and appreciate quality/performance your product delivers exactly that! My Porsche which recently had the Clarus 6.5 speaker system installed is absolutely the best sound quality I have ever listened to in an automobile. This car is on display at our shop for our customers to check out and driven to allot of car shows, events and private showings at business events for performance based development.

My point is that I am extremely proud to show other people in our industry and our customer base how excellent your company’s products perform. I want to thank Travis from Gig Harbor Auto Works for the introduction to your speakers and trust in his judgment for which combination would sound best in my car. Thank you again for the great speakers! Amazing quality!"
Old 03-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #14
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Then there's this:

16:40 on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCcCUCbkYVs

It's a real world talk about the difference between a $900 Mille set and a $500 Clarus set.

And a DIYMA review of the Imagines:

"After two years of no stereo in the car, I decided to throw something together. Car is an 05 accord, with a loc going off of the factory deck and a powerbass 4.600 powering the speakers and a JL 12W0v2 sub in a ported box tuned to 28Hz. The car has about 40 square ft of damplifier pro in each door, holes sealed with two layers of aluminum flashing and dpro. Baffles are decoupled with clay, and sealed as well (see my old unofficial build log for details). Mids in the door, tweets in the factory location on the dash.

I started out with the cadence speakers, as the initial goal was cheap, simple, and just have some damn music in the car again.

Initial thoughts were they sounded decent, esp for the money. They had surprising midbass, stage height was nice as well. However the tweeters sucked. As a disclaimer, the first tweeter i ever heard that I was happy with out of the box was a DLS IR1. However, imaging was very weak, and they were very harsh, which is my biggest peeve. I tried to chalk up my dissatisfaction to being used to my dyns and hearing other competitor's cars with Morel, scan, etc, but still couldn't get used to ignoring the sound to the point I was immediately looking for some kind of eq I could add to fix the issues. So I decided to spring for the hybrids, due to price and simplicity of the crossover network, as well as reviews of people that I talked to.

I got the hybrids in a half hour ago, and was literally blown away. I believe the first thing i said was "these things are no joke". I expected much better than the cadence, simply from going from a $60 set of comps to a $200 set of comps from a sq oriented company, but wasnt expecting them to sound as good as I did. Even while installing them, I remembered thinking that they wouldn't sound 3x as good, even though the price Delta between the sets was more than that.

Midbass is much more clear and accurate, and while it seems to have less than the cadence, distortion also sounds louder, so I'm taking that into consideration. Regardless, there was enough for me to not think it was weak by any means. I bumped the bass to +1 on the factory deck and was fine.

Overall stage height was slightly lower, which I attribute to the mid playing up to 6k, where the tweeter kicks in. However, it didn't rainbow and was still several inches above the dash.

Midrange detail was much more accurate, to the point of me noticing and picking up info in the tracks that wasnt there earlier today with the cadence.

Tweeters are great. With no eq, there is already a much more focused image, a lot more detail, and no harshness or sibilance at all. I don't know how much these would be if sold as a separate set, but they're easily my new favorite cheap tweeter. I kept the cadence at -2 or -3 to kill the sibilance, and it was still there. These sit on 0 and are perfect.

I skipped through tracks on guns n roses' greatest hits, and was loving how good these sounded out of the box. Within a few minutes, I was literally grinning from ear to ear, and couldn't stop. My initial goal for this project was to have radio again, and while my wife commented that the cadence set were better than the monsoon system in her VW bug, these blow thouse out of the water. I listened to the others for prolly two weeks, and never even smiled at how they sounded. They were always just good for the money, and better than I was expecting. However, these hybrids really impressed me. It's been a while since i heard alpine's new spx line a couple years ago, but I don't remember anything standing out about them like these did.

Obviously, the hybrids were going to soud better, but it was a significant leap. I really wish i had saved the money and gotten them first, which I was initially considering.

All in all a great set of comps, and very much so worth the money. Scott did a really great job with this set.)

I have an RF 3sixty.2 en route, and almost wish I had gotten these in first, bc I may have not ordered it, but it'll be fun dialing these in some more.

I'll probably put a build log up for this, but I've been fabbing a dock for my Droid incredible, and have figured out how to stream Pandora and play mp3's from it through the usb out while allowing it to charge through the usb at the same time."
Old 03-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
patm

Drives: 2007 yaris sedan
D.

A+, nicely said and diplomatic. you could have majored in English or polital science.
patm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #16
derickveliz2

Quote:
Derick...

No worries mang. You can go to the Eastern Canadian championships in Toronto IIRC. If you decide you want to, let me know. I'll hook you up with Larry Woolcot and Louis Chouinard. They are both Team Hybrids members that can help you in your first competition.

In the mean time you and I can work on a build log that will put the judges at rest and give you full points...if you want.
Wow! that is almost 500 miles and 8-9 hours of driving... I don't think the kids and mom would let me go on that kind of journey

But we can work on a build log.... Ps what is that?

D.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #17
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by patm View Post
D.

A+, nicely said and diplomatic. you could have majored in English or polital science.
Not even in Spanish my friend! Jeje

Thanks

D.