Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #55
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
Awesome, I'm looking forward to seeing that one when it's finished up.

BTW I bought a machine gun instead of a subwoofer, lol.
ok that is just awesome.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #56
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
Fucking awesome. Damnit...i really want to build my turbo kit for the Yaris. But i have to finish the race car first.
At this point I would go with Garm's Zage instead of building a custom one. The reasons are mainly 2 fold. One is that with Garm you will have vendor support, not to say that Carlos doesn't support me because he does, but he isn't making anymore kits either. I am referencing Zage/Custom. The other part of this is community support. The second is that even though having the MAF sensor where mine is near the TB and it providing more accurate temps it does cause some tuning issues as opposed to the location with the Zage. Now this would be a moot point if I was running a full stand alone, but if you are looking for an actual "kit" then the Zage works well as it is when coupled to an AEM F/IC per the community.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #57
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Anyone interested in continuing to follow my progress please see the following thread and article on MI:

http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...-Monday!-W00T!

http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...ect-for-Tiamat

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #58
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Well I am officially back on the road after about 6 weeks. It should have been done much faster than that, but ran into a few gotchas:

- Replacement motor from New England Auto Parts had a damaged upper and lower pan which caused the greatest bit of delay. They did come good on sending me parts to replace those ones however I was forced to have a temporary fix to resolve the upper pan being cracked with Automotive Goop until I can afford the time, labor, etc to pull the motor again to replace it!
- Alternator lower mounting bolt stripped and had to be tapped.
- Camshaft Oil Control Valve Assembly unit was damaged and did not realize it until first runs of the motor. After much research your best bet will be to go directly through Toyota for the part and they are never stocked!
- Torn radiator hose did not become apparent until first couple runs
- Fabrication time for new turbo exhaust manifold to accommodate external wastegate
- A couple gaskets that were Toyota direct only and had wait time involved
- Leaks, leaks, leaks

Big thanks to D&M Racing for all of their help and perceverance through the evenings hard fought to get her to come back together. Also thanks to Garm Beall/MicroImageOnline, Brian/Alex with Granite State Dyno, Carlos Don , and Scott McClure for their assistance through the process.

Some items that were upgraded during the installation of the replacement motor:

- NST Cage Bushings and engine compartment linkage bushings
- NST in cabin short shifter
- Micro Image shifter linkage bracket
- Micro Image silicone radiator hose set
- Autometer Fuel Pressure Gauge kit
- CCI Lightweight Flywheel
- CCI Stage 3 clutch kit
- Tial MV-S External Wastegate
- Grimmspeed Universal Manual Boost Controller
- ARP Exhaust Manifold Bolts
- Changed all fluids to AMSOIL
- Grade 8 bolt for lower alternator mounting point
- AFE Conical Air Filter replaced K&N (used filter from old AFE Stage 2 CAI)
- Firestone Air Ride Air Bladder Suspension Kit for rears to remove rubbing issues from 235/40/18s
- Might be more, but it escapes me for now

Link to album of process:

http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/...ine%20Removal/

I do have a few items remaining to be dealt with:

- Replace upper oil pan sub assembly (hoping to wait until full motor build)
- Get Oil Pressure Gauge working again (believe that sending unit was damaged during motor blowing)
- Resolve clutch issues (Hard time shifting into first without pumping pedal couple times 50/50. Can always do it if I shift into 2nd then to 1st. Sometimes car bucks and shifts hard into reverse. Have bled the piss out of the clutch, used alignment tool, etc. CCI has hunch for some reason that my clutch master cylinder was going bad or slave cylinder.)
- New dyno tune
- A/C line reroute due to external wastegate installation

The motor itself runs like a top. Showed up with a little over 23k miles on it.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #59
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Oh and since there might be folks asking if I upgraded the internals, etc the answer is no. I had to make certain decisions. The work that was done was something that was usable now and will enhance my build when it does happen in a few months (if all goes well). In order for me to make the record in production supercharged (Land Speed Runs) I needed to keep stock internals. Once I upgrade those I will have to pay to "upgrade" my category to Modified Production Gas Couple and will be a in totally different world of competition.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #60
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
SWEET
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #61
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
Fixed the leak. Great!
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #62
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp my yaris View Post
Fixed the leak. Great!

Yeah, Scott's idea to use Automotive Goop seems to be holding just fine. I have only driven 50 miles so far and haven't broken 4 grand on the tach so we will see how well it will hold up. I am hoping that it makes it through the fall.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #63
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Been a while again since I have performed any upgrades. I have just completed some more this week in preparation for the 2013 Harvest Edition of the LTA Land Speed Runs. You can see further information in the fuel system article that I posted a new comment to on MI:

http://FNKNGRV's Fuel System Upgrade Project for Tiamat

Old 08-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #64
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Best of luck on the upcoming runs!!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #65
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Best of luck on the upcoming runs!!
Thank you sir!

Old 12-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #66
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Well after a year and a half I finally got around to pulling apart the stock motor to really see what happened. I was pretty surprised to see that only the #1 cylinder met with a catastrophic failure. The #2 rod may have belt a little, but CTScott will be determining that as I am donating the piston/rod/ring sets from cylinders 2,3, and 4 for a project he is working on. I confirmed that I blew 6 holes through the block and upper oil pan sub-assembly. You can see in the pictures where the piston, rod, and valves were damaged on #1 without a problem.

Newest Photos Sorted First