Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
yariSB86

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Yaris LB
High performance cats

Anyone know if something like this is worth it?
That picture on the summit site is accurate to what the high flow cat looks like.
magnaflow cat
yariSB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
G-Ammo

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2009; 1.0 3 Cil.
I would like to konw too :)
Old 03-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
TPA5
Wait, what?

Drives: NULL
General consensus has seemed to be that high-slow cats don't add any appreciable difference for the cost. Of course arguments go both ways, so whether they do or not is hard to say.
TPA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
yariSB86

Well I ordered one. So I'll let you guys know how everything goes when I start work on it.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Looks like an OEM replacement. What is the intended purpose? Did you fail a smog test or something?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.

Last edited by cali yaris; 03-16-2013 at 02:36 PM.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
kou

Drives: 08 lb
Cancel that order if you can. You can get your entire exhaust done for that money.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
yariSB86

They market it as a high performance cat, so I called magnaflow and spoke with a mech about its specs. They say it is high flow, more than oem.

My plan is to install this, have an exhaust shop fab the rest of the pipe with 2" tubing to connect to my dc sports axle back.

@Garm - no I did not fail emissions test. Just looking to upgrade my exhaust. I tried to find just a high flow cat to replace and delete oem ones but to no avail. Only cat sold online for the yaris I found were just oem replacements.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
It looks like they did a very good job at locating all of the exhaust components in the same places so it should fit like a glove. Is the diameter of the exhaust pipe any larger with the Magnaflow assembly?

You could likely sell your stock exhaust to help recover some of the cost. Whenever I replace anything with something better I always sell off the stock stuff.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ I would never do that unless I tested at a smog station first. If the "upgraded" cats fail, you'll be REALLY glad you have your stock exhaust on hand someday.

Stock cats are EXPENSIVE to replace. Don't sell your stock midpipe if you have room to store it!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by yariSB86 View Post
They market it as a high performance cat, so I called magnaflow and spoke with a mech about its specs. They say it is high flow, more than oem.

My plan is to install this, have an exhaust shop fab the rest of the pipe with 2" tubing to connect to my dc sports axle back.
That sounds like a good idea as I believe the exhaust pipe gets smaller after the cat but before the axleback. I'll bet that Magnaflow has already tested their exhaust on a Yaris and already knows that it passes emissions testing, or by law they would have to put a disclaimer on their product just like for any other non compliant "race only" accessory.

If you're not sure, I'd simply call them and ask.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
That sounds like a good idea as I believe the exhaust pipe gets smaller after the cat but before the axleback. I'll bet that Magnaflow has already tested their exhaust on a Yaris and already knows that it passes emissions testing, or by law they would have to put a disclaimer on their product just like for any other non compliant "race only" accessory.

If you're not sure, I'd simply call them and ask.
I'm not 100%, but I thought any high flow cat was illegal in Cali?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
Kaotic Lazagna

Actually just clicked on the OP's link. WOWZER, that is expensive. Also, it says "no" next to "California legal." At least the OP is not in Cali. lol
Old 03-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
tooter
play every day

Everything is illegal in California.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ This product will absolutely NOT be CARB legal in California. Save your old parts.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Everything is illegal in California.
Yeah, sucks

Intakes, headers, turbos, s/c's...everything! I was (illegally) pulled over for having a "modified exhaust" back when I had my GTI (it was just an axle back)...I think I pissed off the CHP officer when I told her that the vehicle code says it's okay to have a modified exhaust as long as it's below 95dB. Her snooty response, "I'm not pulling you over for the noise, I'm pulling you over for the modified exhaust." SMH...yeah, and let every Mustang, Camero, and any American pickup truck with "modified exhausts" get away from something that isn't even illegal to begin with. /rant
Old 03-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #16
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ Unfortunately, the Vehicle Code includes that a modified exhaust cannot make an "unusual or excessive" sound either, this is exclusive of the 95dB restriction. This gives the officer the legal right to ticket you for "modified exhaust" at their discretion, even if your sound level is within the law.

Modify your car, take your chances, keep your old parts.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #17
Kaotic Lazagna

Doesn't that apply to whistle tips (has its own section).

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

(b) A certificate of compliance for a vehicular exhaust system shall be issued pursuant to subdivision (a) if the vehicle complies with Sections 27150 and 27151. Exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles, other than motorcycles, with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds comply with Sections 27150 and 27151 if they emit no more than 95 dbA when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998.

I'm not saying to not keep your old parts since I keep all mine. lol
Old 03-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #18
Kaotic Lazagna

But yeah, I guess CHP can pull over anyone they want...really up to the driver to fight the case if it really is wrong. I looked it up more...away from the vehicle code. The "unusual or excessive" part is left to interpretation of the officer, but in my GTI case, she admitted that her pulling me over had nothing to do with the noise/sound. Eh, whatever, it was in the past. Since then, I just stayed away from canister style mufflers and stuck with clam shell types with OEM (not for the car, just in general) looking style tips.