Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #181
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Yeah I reprimed it the same amount as before. I let the engine run for about 5-10 minutes. I also want to point out there is no obvious oil burning smell, and the smoke DOES NOT have a bluish tint to it.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #182
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Hmmmm, if the seals are blown they're blown. its only about a $30 fix but still shitty to do. Otherwise try to run it some more to see if it still smokes alot. If it isn't grinding or making wooo wooo noises, the turbo should still be good just the seals may be bad if the problem persists.
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #183
Focus_Sh1ft

Yeah no noises or anything... I guess I have no choice but to take it out... AGAIN.

I've read white is usually coolant though. I don't know what to think

Ah something else I just remembered - the radiator fan kicked on to full speed within 5 minutes of idle. I think this may be coolant and oil related. GREAT.

Last edited by Focus_Sh1ft; 08-30-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #184
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
Engine burning coolant will be white smoke and smell like rotten eggs at the tail pipe. Realy foul. Hope your head gasket is ok. A bad head gasket or cracked head could be another cause for oil or coolant in the exhaust. Did you hear any engine pinging "detonation"? This thread is starting to make me nervious about my own project. Say it aint so Jerzy.
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #185
Focus_Sh1ft

Haha you're nervous? Imagine how I feel.

I highly doubt there are any issues with the head gasket. I know when I pulled the coolant lines to get the turbo out, I leaked ALOT of coolant because I didn't even realize it was slowly leaking for a few hours. Maybe some found its way into the charge piping? There's also a crap ton of oil residue left from when I was driving around with an oil leak.

I don't really know how to go about this. I think I'll check all my coolant lines, make sure the oil return isn't plugged at all, then off comes the turbo again. This kinda sucks
Old 08-30-2010, 03:53 PM   #186
Focus_Sh1ft

Ok figured it out most likely. The paper gasket I used had flaps around the hole that actually blocked the oil's return for the most part. Currently trying to figure out how to cut those out, but I'm still worried the pressure build up may have blown the seal in the turbo? Guess I won't know until I lessen the restriction on the return.

Uh, on the positive side, the previous leaks I had are definitely dealt with at this point. I'll be more happy about that when I know for a fact that I don't have to rip the turbo out, pull it apart, and replace the seal.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #187
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Just wondering, have U installed the 1zz injectors yet. Also have U made any adjustments with the FIC
Old 08-30-2010, 06:44 PM   #188
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp my yaris View Post
Just wondering, have U installed the 1zz injectors yet. Also have U made any adjustments with the FIC
1ZZ injectors (and tb) are in. No adjustments to the FIC yet.

Here's where I stand now:

I unplugged the return, primed the turbo, fired up the car. Within a minute it stopped the white smoke, so that appears to be solved.

However, I was about to take the car out and now have a new problem. I tore out of my neighborhood and blew a ton of white smoke out the exhaust. It appeared to stop about a minute later, but then the oil idiot light came on? Came home, popped the hood, and nearly passed out by how much white smoke came out from under the hood. I'm 100% sure the smell is coolant burning... so... interesting... lol. I definitely hear some sort of bubbling noise happening around the engine block as well. Bubbling + burning = boiling? But why coolant, WHY?

I'll be checking all the coolant lines and blah blah blah. Anyone feel free to throw me some ideas. I also have a CEL again, and was about to go to advance auto to check it out but... not now.

Last edited by Focus_Sh1ft; 08-30-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #189
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Well I would say you need to start thinking about the head gasket or cracked cyl. head or possibly a massive coolant leak under the hood. The bubling sound was the engine overheating. I use a funel that attaches and seals directly to the radiator neck. After I have filled the coolant and blead all air out of the cooling system, I check for air bubles coming up from the radiator. If the bubles never stop. Their is a good chance of a blown head gasket or cracked head.
Clean the engine compartment with a hose and fill the engine back up with a 50/50 coolant, water mix. And first check for under hood leaks. It sounds like it overheated bad and possibly blew the coolant out of the resivoir bottle.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #190
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Its also possible that when U installed the turbo coolant lines, U may have created a large air pocket in the cyl. head. This would cause some bad over heating as well. When filling coolant U must keep engine runing long enogh for thermostat to open so coolant will flow through the cyl. head and push air pockets to the radiator filler neck. This will take about a half hour. During this time U must monitor engine temp. and make sure U dont over heat. If your fan has turned on and off a couple off times this will be long enough. Dont rev. your engine during this time. And make sure You keep the radiator full.
Sorry for long explanation. Hope this is helpfull.
Good luck in this mission as U have allready accepted it.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:04 PM   #191
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
My .02 cents: the turbo does not need the water lines connected to work properly. It does however need the oil lines. Remove the water lines & drive the car, see if the problem goes away. Next make sure that the coolant level & oil levels are where they need to be. For the coolant, I hope you replaced the coolant you leaked with Toyota coolant? You are aware that is is a special red in color coolant? You do have to have the proper mixture in the radiator. If not you will have temperature issues.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:06 PM   #192
Focus_Sh1ft

Haha you're making me nervous man. But...

I checked the coolant lines on the turbo and (thankfully) they're leaking. They only seem to leak while the car is in drive though, because during idle there is no smoke. If the engine was overheating, wouldn't it throw the engine hot light? I wish I knew what this CEL was...

I'm still worried about what you're saying though. The smoke does seem to be isolated to behind the engine block, and the exhaust. I'll work on the turbo coolant leak and hopefully all will be resolved.

cdydjded, are you saying it HAS to be this toyota brand coolant? I was using something else, and at this point most of the OEM coolant has leaked out or evaporated.

I'm also still confused about the oil idiot light. What would cause it to come on if the oil level is adequate?

Also if it's of any importance... The car drives absolutely fine currently.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #193
cdydjded

It does not have to be Toyota brand but it is not ordinary coolant. I have some in my garage I get you more info on what it is & a pic.....

As for the coolant lines, if you can stop the leak, dont use them until all other issues are resolve. It will be 1 less problem you have for now....
Old 08-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #194
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
It does not have to be Toyota brand but it is not ordinary coolant. I have some in my garage I get you more info on what it is & a pic.....

As for the coolant lines, if you can stop the leak, dont use them until all other issues are resolve. It will be 1 less problem you have for now....
Honestly, I believe this is what I'm down to regarding issues. Oil is finally resolved, and after fooling around with the t-clamps on my coolant lines it appeared that there was definitely less smoke. I'm thinking the bubbling is simply the coolant burning on the turbo. However, the fact that the radiator fan jumps to full power within a couple minutes during idle (I don't think this ever happened before I put this thing in) makes me nervous. cdydjded, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could get me the specs on the coolant. I think I'd prefer to swap it with the definite proper stuff so I know it's not an issue.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:21 PM   #195
cdydjded

Ive me a second Ill downloading the pics & specs from my Blackberry.....
Old 08-30-2010, 08:23 PM   #196
cdydjded

IMG00577.jpg
Old 08-30-2010, 08:25 PM   #197
Focus_Sh1ft

What's the brand name, can't tell. Think I could find it at walmart?

I have no idea what the hell I'm using lol. It's like lemon-lime yellow and I found it in an Arizona tea bottle. Probably wasn't the best idea in retrospect
Old 08-30-2010, 08:30 PM   #198
cdydjded

Well there lies one problem. The toyota coolant is red. The yellow is different. This is Toyota brand bought at the dealer.