Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-28-2008, 02:27 AM   #1
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Random thoughts about braking

For the past 10 years or so, I've been shifting my AT into neutral on all my cars as I approach a stop, especially when stopping from a high speed like at a freeway offramp. I find that the braking is much more linear, e.g. the amount of slowing down is proportional to the amount of pressure on the brake pedal. I am guessing that when in neutral, I do not have to fight the rotational inertia of the engine in addition to the linear inertia of the car.

When I owned a motorcycle, downshifting was a normal way to slow down the bike. However, I was never comfortable with using this method with my MT cars. I would always shift my MT to neutral as I do with my AT cars. If the light changed, it was never a problem to pick a gear, blip the throttle and engage the clutch. And before you lecture me, I understand the concept that staying in gear allows for an emergency maneuver.

I've never thought to ask this but how do you all come to a stop with your MTs? Do you downshift 4-3-2-1-N? Do you immediately drop into neutral and just use your brakes?
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:22 AM   #2
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Neutral then brakes.

Leave all the wear on the brakes, since they're easy to change out.

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure constant N to D movement on a AT tranny puts wear on it.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:23 AM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
keeping it in gear as you slow down (engine braking) is particularly useful in our cars as the ECU shuts off the injectors, and thus you use no fuel (Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off, aka DFCO)

So yeah, in the interest of fuel saving and quick response, I do usually keep shifting down until 2nd gear (1st is just a bit too rough and requires some clutch slipping to avoid a rough shift, for me anyway). Not to mention, using the engine to brake means your brake pads have to do less work, hence they won't wear out as fast.

I believe it's not actually recommended to shift an AT to neutral while in motion, something to do about the transmission fluid not being pumped around in that case.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:58 AM   #4
ddongbap
Banned

In the end, I don't think it really matters.

Sure you waste fuel popping into neutral, but you save wear and tare. But then again, you'd use up fuel.

Either way, its gonna cost you.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:16 AM   #5
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
I'd keep the car in whatever gear it happened to be in, and only disengage the clutch just before the car starts to judder from low RPMs.
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:38 AM   #6
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
Sure you waste fuel popping into neutral
Unless you turn OFF the engine while coasting with the clutch down

A common hypermiling technique, feels really weird at first but I use it several times every day now.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:55 AM   #7
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

Drives: 2007 Polar White LB
Send a message via MSN to SIPNGAS Send a message via Yahoo to SIPNGAS
I waffle between going into neutral and braking or downshifting. I use downshifting more when the weather is bad and the roads are snow covered and I have time to think about it. I do the neutral/brake thing when I'm buzzing around town and wait longer to stop....

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
SIPNGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:13 AM   #8
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
heel toe downshifts all the way, every day.. it's a good habit to get into as it becomes second nature when you're at the track
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #9
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I never downshift with the intention of slowing the car. I do downshift to keep the revs up so that DFCO stays engaged and uses no fuel. But, if you're talking about a hard stop, it's clutch in and hard on the brakes.

With an automatic, you might feel the car downshifting as you brake, but with such a wimpy engine (at idle) behind it, it's not likely to be a problem. I think you'd be at more risk by trying to rapidly shift to neutral because you could accidentally find reverse, which would not be pretty. (did that once when I was 16 and driving a car that wouldn't idle in gear... fortunately, I wasn't going very fast)

Best bet: If you're making a quick stop, forget about the gear lever and just concentrate on BRAKING. If you have a manual transmission, clutch in. Simple.

(where things get interesting is on a race track where not only do you want to slow down rapidly, but you also want to downshift to a lower gear at the same time to accelerate out of the turn that you're slowing for... but that's another story)

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:09 AM   #10
ddongbap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
I never downshift with the intention of slowing the car. I do downshift to keep the revs up so that DFCO stays engaged and uses no fuel. But, if you're talking about a hard stop, it's clutch in and hard on the brakes.

With an automatic, you might feel the car downshifting as you brake, but with such a wimpy engine (at idle) behind it, it's not likely to be a problem. I think you'd be at more risk by trying to rapidly shift to neutral because you could accidentally find reverse, which would not be pretty. (did that once when I was 16 and driving a car that wouldn't idle in gear... fortunately, I wasn't going very fast)

Best bet: If you're making a quick stop, forget about the gear lever and just concentrate on BRAKING. If you have a manual transmission, clutch in. Simple.

(where things get interesting is on a race track where not only do you want to slow down rapidly, but you also want to downshift to a lower gear at the same time to accelerate out of the turn that you're slowing for... but that's another story)
HEEEEEEEEEEEL TOEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you guys want to rock the techncials, turning on anything that draws electrical power on your car, can worsen your gas mileage.

Btw, I remember popping my moms van, with the column shifter, into reverse at 60 mph. It just stalled out, and took itself out of gear. I put it back into D, and all was normal again.