Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-03-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
April Yaris sales down big time

April was not a good month for the Yaris. Sales were down 52.4% vs. April, 2009. Overall Yaris sales are down 28.8% for the year. Actually, quite an interesting month for b-segment sales.

http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...act-sales.html
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
minnyar

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan (5pd)
Ouch, I can't believe the Accent continues to outsell the Yaris, and the Versa's numbers, wow!
minnyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
hyprmiler
It's cold in Wisconsin...

Drives: 2008 and 2009 Yaris Sedans
They Versa is FUGLY and a cheap @ss car. We were car shopping this month and got my wife a Yaris. She sat in the Versa and said WTF is up with the cloth interior.... it's velvet!

bleh

No thank you.

Those sale figures only point to new cars not used however... I'm curious what the used car market is doing for Yaris vs. other models in the same class.
hyprmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Personally, I really don't care what out sells the Yaris.
I like mine and that's all I'm concerned with.

In my area at least, a yaris is still rather rare and that make my car unique on the road.
I still get questions like, "what kind of car is that"?
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnyar View Post
Ouch, I can't believe the Accent continues to outsell the Yaris, and the Versa's numbers, wow!
10 years 100k warranty decent mileage cheap price
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silveryaris View Post
Ding ding ding!

Yaris couldn't have benefited from Toyota's woes, either.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
Personally, I really don't care what out sells the Yaris.
I like mine and that's all I'm concerned with.

In my area at least, a yaris is still rather rare and that make my car unique on the road.
I still get questions like, "what kind of car is that"?

+1

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silveryaris View Post

In some ways I kind of agree with Toyota's philosophy on this in that if you have a defective part 9 times out of ten it will be found in the first 3/36k. My first question when I see an automaker post up 10/100k is what is wrong with your product that would justify that long a warranty?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
In some ways I kind of agree with Toyota's philosophy on this in that if you have a defective part 9 times out of ten it will be found in the first 3/36k. My first question when I see an automaker post up 10/100k is what is wrong with your product that would justify that long a warranty?
but with toyota's recent reliability having been called into question, they'll have to step up their game (or warranty) to draw consumers back in

i'm going to be looking for a family car in the next year, and whether i buy new or used, warranty is a HUGE consideration....and why wouldnt it be?

if i could buy a hyundai and be fully covered for problems for the first 5 or 10 years, why would i go spend MORE on a toyota or honda w/ the typical 3/5yr b to b and powertrain warranties? the hyundai has more options for less money too....

i don't see the problem.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #10
bkrownd

Drives: 2010 Yaris "5-door"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
Less of them also makes them less of a theft magnet, or target of other unwanted attention.

As for sales being down...they're still moving off the lot here. I had to jump on a manual when one finally arrived in town.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #11
bkrownd

Drives: 2010 Yaris "5-door"
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
i'm going to be looking for a family car in the next year, and whether i buy new or used, warranty is a HUGE consideration....and why wouldnt it be?
The best warranty used to be a good reputation for longevity. I don't know if I've ever actually known anyone who's used the warranty on a Japanese car. :D OldsmoBuick Crown LeBarons however....yow
Old 05-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #12
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrownd View Post
The best warranty used to be a good reputation for longevity. I don't know if I've ever actually known anyone who's used the warranty on a Japanese car. :D OldsmoBuick Crown LeBarons however....yow
my yaris has been to the dealer for warranty issue more than our aveo...
Old 05-05-2010, 02:37 AM   #13
ctrj

Drives: 07 Yaris Sdn, 97 4Runner
Come spend a day at my dealership! I see Lexus warranties everyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrownd View Post

ctrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #14
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I see this probably as a sign of the slight uptick in the economy. People have very short memories and I doubt this trend will continue as the price of gas has increased 10-15¢ over the past week since the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Once the summer prices hit right before Memorial Day (the end of this month), folks are gonna start looking at economy cars again!

But honestly I too don't care about Yaris sales. It is a great car and I love mine. I've had it a year-and-a-half and was just thinking how much I still enjoy it last night as I was washing it. I don't care that they aren't as common as Civics or Hyundias. I know a few people who have the latter and I have never been impressed with them. They are one step above the Chinese clones, and while Korean cars are getting better, it will still be a while before I would be convinced into buying one...

Cheers! M2
Old 05-05-2010, 11:51 AM   #15
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
When I see warranties like that I just smell desperation. I don't want a GMC vehicle no matter how long the warranty is, after all who cares if the company who's supposed to honor it is out of business.

But to be honest they throw 10 years on there just to make it look better than it is. The real number there for most people, especially regarding the drivetrain is 100,000 miles.

The point is that the drivetrain is normally not the thing that goes out on any car unless you abuse it, in which case the warranty may be void (don't change the oil, etc ...).

But it also drives home one more point, most people are under this strange impression that you have to take your car to the stealership for maintenance in order to keep the warranty valid.

So the dealerships are more than happy to honor something like this as I'm sure it just makes them a whole lot more money in the long run.
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #16
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
When I see warranties like that I just smell desperation. I don't want a GMC vehicle no matter how long the warranty is, after all who cares if the company who's supposed to honor it is out of business.

But to be honest they throw 10 years on there just to make it look better than it is. The real number there for most people, especially regarding the drivetrain is 100,000 miles.

The point is that the drivetrain is normally not the thing that goes out on any car unless you abuse it, in which case the warranty may be void (don't change the oil, etc ...).

But it also drives home one more point, most people are under this strange impression that you have to take your car to the stealership for maintenance in order to keep the warranty valid.

So the dealerships are more than happy to honor something like this as I'm sure it just makes them a whole lot more money in the long run.
im going to have to disagree with you

for the last decade my parents' cars have always run out of time before mileage. theyre older and don't travel that much anymore. my dad is retired and my mom works in-town.

even i have to admit that i don't put on NEAR the mileage i used to when i was single and drove all the time just for fun. our aveo is past its 3yr old mark and only has about 50000kms on it. (so 5/6 done the warranty mileage). yaris is at 54000km and will be three years old at the end of july....but its made several trips from the east coast and back (~3000km round trip)

with an aging population and a down-turned economy, i think you'll see people not commuting 50 miles to and from work or driving just for the sake of driving

like i said before, id rock a car because it had longer warranty, but my priorities are different than that of an 18yr old
Old 05-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #17
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
im going to have to disagree with you

for the last decade my parents' cars have always run out of time before mileage. theyre older and don't travel that much anymore. my dad is retired and my mom works in-town.

even i have to admit that i don't put on NEAR the mileage i used to when i was single and drove all the time just for fun. our aveo is past its 3yr old mark and only has about 50000kms on it. (so 5/6 done the warranty mileage). yaris is at 54000km and will be three years old at the end of july....but its made several trips from the east coast and back (~3000km round trip)

with an aging population and a down-turned economy, i think you'll see people not commuting 50 miles to and from work or driving just for the sake of driving

like i said before, id rock a car because it had longer warranty, but my priorities are different than that of an 18yr old
But if it's only covering the drive train ...

I don't know, I've just never had to rebuild an engine, transmissions are a different story though but that's only happened to me when on one car at 150,000 miles (wrangler manual clutch was abused with off road driving), another at 200,000 miles (pinto manual), and finally another at 230,000 miles (maverick auto). Heck, the 75 Mercury approached near 400,000 miles without a failure to either of them. That poor beast of burden was good for at least 10 round trips to Florida pulling a trailer.

Things that went wrong, and I was no stranger to fixing them: ball joints, shocks, cylinders, pads, rotors, drums, compressors, alternators, radiators, leaf and coil springs, shocks, bearings, etc ...

I do expect the Yaris to be the most reliable car I've owned to date, and so far the build quality just impresses me to no end. JMO, but the 100,000 mile marker on drive train components just doesn't impress me at all as I just haven't had a drive train component go out on me within 100,000 miles on any car I've owned lemon (Maverick) or otherwise.
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #18
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
But if it's only covering the drive train ...

I don't know, I've just never had to rebuild an engine, transmissions are a different story though but that's only happened to me when on one car at 150,000 miles (wrangler manual clutch was abused with off road driving), another at 200,000 miles (pinto manual), and finally another at 230,000 miles (maverick auto). Heck, the 75 Mercury approached near 400,000 miles without a failure to either of them. That poor beast of burden was good for at least 10 round trips to Florida pulling a trailer.

Things that went wrong, and I was no stranger to fixing them: ball joints, shocks, cylinders, pads, rotors, drums, compressors, alternators, radiators, leaf and coil springs, shocks, bearings, etc ...

I do expect the Yaris to be the most reliable car I've owned to date, and so far the build quality just impresses me to no end. JMO, but the 100,000 mile marker on drive train components just doesn't impress me at all as I just haven't had a drive train component go out on me within 100,000 miles on any car I've owned lemon (Maverick) or otherwise.
depends on the car

i had a matrix xrs before the yaris and had a constant string of problems....a/c gone before 3yr/60k warranty (*note im talking kms here**), synchros fixed at 55k, tranny replaced at 78k, steering rack replaced under extended warranty at 70k, moonroof seal leaked, hatch struts replaced a couple times, clutch is a known/unknown issue of the matrix as well. more recently ive been hearing about the 5speed transmissions breaking around the 150k+ mark.

frankly, if i can get a 5yr comprehensive warranty included in the price of a car, it IS a selling feature for me.

ive already had my rear tails lights replaced twice in 2 years for condensation in the yaris. my shifter and clutch squeak going in/out, too.

we'll see how the yaris stands up to the next couple years.

btw, beeblebrox, where do you live? edit: missouri, i see. i thought your location might relate to your "bulletproof" car experiences