Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-24-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
songa

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan (Black)
HELP! How to paint the horizontal silver/chrome garnish bar on the back of the sedan?

hey guys, i just got a new 2009 yaris sedan in black last week and im loving it. however, i want to have that chrome garnish on the rear of the car color coded to black, so it matches the rest of my exterior. heres a pic of that chrome bar im tlaking about:

http://www.toyotapartsstore.com/imag...s4dprotect.jpg

is there anyway i can buy this part in black from toyota? can i have the dealer paint over it with OEM paint from toyota? if not, whats the best way to get this thing to match my black exterior? I know you can take that bar off the car itself, so i was thinking of removing it and applying some black metallic spray paint. is this the best way to go about it? im really clueless so can someone please help me out with a step by step? thank you!!
songa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
smofskra

Drives: 08 Flint Mica Sedan
Send a message via MSN to smofskra Send a message via Yahoo to smofskra
There are 2 bolts inside the trunk to remove this piece. i just took it off, sanded it and painted it.
smofskra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:26 PM   #3
zuberio
Joined 3/08 ... really

Drives: '07 Sedan
Same here. But FYI, once you remove it to paint it, you'll have to open the trunk from the inside emergency pull - since the lock is disabled once the garnish is removed.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:48 AM   #4
songa

what kind of paint did you guys use? i want to get it as close to the original exterior color as possible...would it be better to bring it in somewhere and ask them to paint it for me witht he right paint?
Old 11-25-2008, 04:54 AM   #5
id3379
§†ęĄ¶‡Ћ-NCP96

I just did this to my sedan here are the easy Steps:

1: open your trunk, pull off the plastic tab's that hold on the sound deadining carpet on the back of the trunk

2: you will see 2 bolts on the left side along the middle back of the bar. take the two nuts off of them

3: there is also a bolt on the right side, take nut off that one as well.

4: there are two bolts holding in the lock for the trunk, take off those bolts and it slides right out.

5: Push in the white plastic tabs the bar has.

6: pull off the bar, and your done !

As for paiting...no need to have someone do it.. i used a $3 krylon flat black indoor/outdoor use can of paint.

1: sand bar with 300 grit sand paper for 5-10 minutes,

2: wash off bar

3: apply a primer coat.

4: apply 6 coats of your color of choice

Done !

*I WILL MAKE A OFFICIAL DIY W/PICS TOMORROW FOR YOU*
id3379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:43 AM   #6
songa

THANKS MAN!! much appreciated. just a couple more questions:

i dont mind doing it myself, but my main concern right now is getting the paint to match my existing black sand pearl exterior. do you know if krylon makes a black color that matches?? if not, i might want to go through the dealer or something to get a hold of OEM paints. do they make those paints in a spray paint forM?

also, why do you sand paper the bar before painting? is it because you wanted that flat black color? since i want mine to be a shiny, metallic black, is it better if i dont sand it down at all? or does sanding have some other use that im missing?

and last question..when you apply 6 coats, do you wait til each coat dries before applying the next coat of paint?

thanks!!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
zuberio
Joined 3/08 ... really

For color match, I got my paint of ebay from a store called spraycansunlimited.

You sand the chrome stuff so that the primer/paint will stick and not flake off.

Usually, you wait until the paint is no longer tacky - about 10 minutes between light coats.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
songa

beautiful!! thank you so much for that info, i found the color i need. now, i am realy curious to see id3379's DIY of the sanding part. thats the only other stuff im gonna need to buy. ive never sanded anything down before so i wnat to make sure i know what im doing before i d oit.. haha

thanks again guys.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #9
songa

any primer you can recommend? i just found out that some paints arent compatible with certain primers...zuberio what kind of primer did you use for spraycansunlimited's paint?

also is it necessary to clearcoat, or wax, or anything like that, after painting?

thanks again!

Last edited by songa; 11-25-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #10
zuberio
Joined 3/08 ... really

I used duplicolor's adhesion promoter and then duplicolor's primer and then the paint.

As for the clearcoat, that's the most important part of the paint job in my opinion. Since you're going with glossy black to match your car, you'll need a good glossy clearcoat. I've used this stuff and I love it - https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/p-15130-18772.aspx
Old 11-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #11
songa

thanks man. im gonna pick up those 3 products and hopefully get this project done during the holiday. do you usually apply the adhesion promoter and primer first, then sand it down, and then apply the paint? or do you sand it down first, then apply everything afterward?

and just to clarify..i know primers come in different colors too. it wont matter if my primer is a slightly different color than the paint, since the primer isnt oging to be visible, right?
Old 11-25-2008, 03:21 PM   #12
songa

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
You can get factory matched paint here, in Paint Pens, Brush-in-Cap Bottles, Aerosol, Pint and Quart Cans:

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/cho...ta&model=Yaris

Cheers
thanks, i actually ordered from there instead. im hoping they have good products, as i ordered the primer, adhesion promoter, and sandpaper from there too.

sorry but i gota ask one more quick question. in what stage of the process do you sand down the bar? is it before you spray on the adhesion promoter and primer? Or do you spray the promoter and primer first, then sand, then paint?

thanks again! ill try to post up pics as soon as its done.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:05 PM   #13
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
anyone have pics of before and after? i'm thinking about doing this, but i dont know if i should do flint mica, or black. i wouldn't mind seeing what black would look like for whoever did it
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #14
songa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Yaris View Post
anyone have pics of before and after? i'm thinking about doing this, but i dont know if i should do flint mica, or black. i wouldn't mind seeing what black would look like for whoever did it
id3379 has done it to his black sand pearl sedan. however, he just used krylon flat black spray paint. he posted a couple pics of it in this thread:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10866

i plan on using black sand pearl - an exact color match of my exterior for my paint. i will try to post up pics when i am done. i just ordered the paint and stuff but i htink due to the holiday coming up i wont be able to get it until next week sometime =( but if you're willing to wait i'll try my best to show you how it looks. i just need to get a digi cam!
Old 11-25-2008, 05:14 PM   #15
songa

im surprised this topic hasnt been talked about more. usually, lower end, cheaper models in manufacturers product line feature the chrome garnish bar in the back, whereas the higher end models or even higher trims will feature an all color coded body. this can be seen especially with door handles, and side mirrors for example, so i would assume the general perception of the garnish bar is that its ugly and looks better when color coded to the match the body. however for the yaris, i believe the yaris S also has the chrome garnish bar in the back, so i would think that many yaris owners would be interested in color coding the garnish bar to match their body as well. and having this being a pretty easy, low stress, and cheap mod to do...i figured everyone would have done it by now. at lesat its good to know i could potentially be helping alot of ppl out by posting up before and afters! =)
Old 11-25-2008, 07:11 PM   #16
zuberio
Joined 3/08 ... really

I look forward to your photos.

And just to follow up, if you're going to sand the primer, use a very high grit - otherwise you'll just have to reprimer. And don't sand the adhesion promoter, that stuff is supposed to be painted over while still wet/tacky.