Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
HANZO_187
#CarFiend-HANZO188

Drives: 2011 Toyota Vios
Lightbulb Need info on Intakes, High Flow Cat, and Magnaflow Mufflers.

Ok so heres my dealio...I'm working on getting some more power and efficiency out of my engine by tweaking the restrictive stock pieces.

My first take to my build is exhaust. From the intake to the exhaust I wanna free up the breathing to the exhaling. I don't wanna add a ton of things if I can do simple upgrades to help my care run more efficiently with out adding huge power adders.

So if anyone can help me stay on these subjects..

Intake- I got a Cosmo Racing CAI on hand soon but gonna replace the filter with the AEM or K&N Filter

High Flow Cat- I'm not gonna delete it cause, No. High Flow cat helps I know this for sure but wanna know a few good brands and specs for our cars

and Last for now Muffler replacement sizes that help keep the exhaust straight through and add power and isn't SUPER LOUD!

I want more power to my car and I'm REALLY good at doing my research but I'm asking these questions to get some info a little quicker and get my leads faster.

I appreciate the help guys, I'm hoping Garm, 1.5 and a few others can chime in and point me in the right direction.
HANZO_187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
As for muffler, I got a 14" magnaflow done by a local performance muffler shop. Sounds exactly like what I wanted (not ricey at all), and looks great. Power seems better than my TRD Vitz Ver. S axleback, and that dyno'd just over 2hp gain. No dyno shops where I live so no numbers. Also a a 1ZZ throttle body opens it up as well. My setup is the AEM CAI, 1ZZ tb, DC Sports header (I liked this one the best of all the other designs at the time, would be my choice again), and the custom magnaflow axleback. I've heard to many negative comments towards a midpipe on n/a so I won't be going that route and both my stock cats are in place. I did use catco on my 400hp LeBaron when I had to replace it's cat when I went to 3 inch exhaust. Nice design and wasn't restrictive and available in many pipe sizes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003 (1024x577).jpg (296.4 KB, 172 views)
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
for cats, look for a core of 300cpsi or lower. stock is 400cell, most advertised "high flow cats" are actually still the same core as stock. Vibrant 200cell units are nice, we sell proper HF 300,200 & 100 cats as well. Most of the Maggie (Magnaflow) converters are stock-type. If your hardset on Maggies, get the spun-body, metallic-core converters...they are 300cell.

Mufflers...Maggies are decent for the money. Vibrant units are even nicer, but pricier. Jones MaxFlow is the best for ultimate flow, SS contruction & low cost. Flowmasters work very well too, for a hatchback with a minimal tailpipe, get the 60 series muffler as its designed for minimal tailpipe.

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
HANZO_187
#CarFiend-HANZO188

I appreciate the feed back guys, I actually drive the 2011 Sedan. I wanna keep it as cheap as possible but with good performance. I don't wanna spend $150 on a single piece like a muffler or high flow cat. I wanna learn as much as I can to get as much free flow as I can for my car with out having to go the TURBO-SUPERCHARGER route.

These cars get great gas mileage but it never hurts to have a little fun.

Cars key points are the handling abilities, Its got some pep in it and with a better breathing system/exhaust and some suspension tweaks I'm gonna make this a fun car to drive. Besides...Straight lines are boring, When you take turns it's gonna be great at entering and exiting corners a great speed.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
I second what Astro says about going CAI, 1zz tb, DC header, and exhaust. This will pretty much completely upgrade your breathing cycle, minus of course the MI manifold lol.

The DC headers are probably the most expensive out of that list so you may want to save that depending on budget but keep in mind that the header and the 1zz are probably the most noticeable improvements.

For intake, the modified stock airbox you have is probably going to show the exact same gains as an aftermarket intake would.

For exhaust, adding a muffler and hi flo cat may net you some minimal numbers and will give you a different sound, but the most restriction comes from the 1.75" piping that runs most of the length of our systems iirc. replacing that would get you the best gains as far as exhaust mods are concerned.

I recommend snatching that 1zz tb off here since the dude lives in Orlando before its gone, I also recommend going with some kind of custom catback if you're deadset on doing exhaust mods. Also imho, wheels/tires and that lite crank pulley are gonna shed a lot of mass and probably give you more noticeable gains in accleration than adding those small power mods will.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:55 AM   #6
HANZO_187
#CarFiend-HANZO188

Ok so, If I don't pick up the throttle body off of here I'm definitely going to pick one up at a Junk Yard for sure or something cause in my head the science makes sense to basically OPEN up the breathing source for the engine and work my way outward to the exhaust.

Its gonna take me some time but I'm definitely going to go with what you guys are telling me on this one. When taxes come...I'm gonna be so stoked and ready to do this already.

A big shout out is going out to every one that helped me with this build. I really appreciate the feed back and help.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #7
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Your welcome. That is one of the things that makes this forum great (and useful)
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:31 AM   #8
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
Definitely get a 1zz TB. a exhaust header / midpipes will also definitely improve it. the stock ones are fairly restrictive. Garm and jeff's intake manifold does a world of wonders as well, and anything you can swap with lightweight replacements (pulleys, flywheel/clutch) will greatly help our tiny engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
HANZO_187
#CarFiend-HANZO188

I've actually got a Automatic sedan...God I wish I had a Manual transmission...but ehh...I'll install one later. Anything I can switch out for the Auto transmission I remember phil (1.5) telling me I was able to switch something out but forget on the top of my head.

Tags
engine, exhaust, intake, muffler, performance