Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Use of a can of tire sealant voided road hazard warranty

I know there aren't too many of us who have Firestone tires, but I thought I'd post this anyway. Heck, if it helps one person, that is enough. I got a flat tire last night (well past when Firestone would be closed) on one of those under the freeway/before the signal/feeder road to feeder road U turns (members in Texas or those who have been to Texas will know what I mean). I meandered down the feeder road (less than a mile) to a Wal-Mart. I decided to use a can of tire sealant I had,to see if I could avoid a AAA call. Once you go beyond their limit (this might have put me with only 1 call left before the end of next August), they charge you per call. The last time I went over it was $35.00 per call...might be more now. The tire sealant didn't work. I called AAA and they came out and put my space saver tire on (I thought I had taken it out). This morning I went to the Firestone store closest to my house (where I bought the tires). From what I was told, some Firestone store repaired a tire that the customer had failed to seal using tire sealant. The tire (at some later date) exploded. The customer then sued Firestone. Firestone then put a company wide policy in place -- no more repairs allowed on tires that have aftermarket sealant injected into them, only replacement. They did pro rate the cost for me (44% of tread worn after I think 45-46,000 miles and they brought it down from a sale price of 72.00 to 40.00). They didn't charge me for mounting and balancing, but they did charge me for a new road hazard warranty (annoying, but SOP with other cars I've had in the past).

The pro rated cost of the tire (which might have been more at a different stage of wear) was more than I imagine an extra service call would have been with AAA. Do other tire retailers have a similar policy re not repairing tires under their road hazard warranty if the customer has injected tire sealant into the tire?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote