Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
Chifte

Drives: 2012 Yaris
MI SSK + MI In cabin SSK worth it?

Anyone using both the engine bay SSK and the in cabin SSK? Lots of threads about someone using either one, but I can't find any of someone using both.

I'm curious if it's worth to invest another $70 for the in cabin.

Last edited by Chifte; 09-26-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Chifte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Buy the in-cabin one and try it out... if you don't like it, ship it to me... should be cheap to ship, we're both in PA!

Actually, I've wondered the same thing... like can you make it "too short" of a shift?

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I have both. I like them both. The question of "worth it" is subjective.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
...The question of "worth it" is subjective.
Very good point.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I have both though I also have the 3" shift extender. It is a little shorter than stock now (the throw that is) though it allows me to have a stick shift and the arm rest together. that was my goal. I did the shift extender alone at first and it was like shifting a transfer truck (I assume anyways) with a huge throw. The under hood one helped a lot and the in cabin one finished it off.

the only bad thing I have noticed is that the amount of play pretty much stays the same. in gear, I can wiggle the shifter around quite a bit. that part is strange but I guess it comes with the territory.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Here's a little more info on the two kits.

I installed the engine bay SSK first. I believe, that of the two, this one makes the most difference to the shifter throw.

Adding the in-cabin kit tightened it up even more... maybe too much as I sometimes struggle with finding the right gear or even questioning if I have it in neutral. This is not to say that it's a bad thing, but I find it is easier to miss a slot or have to fiddle a bit to get the right one. I didn't have this issue with the engine SSK alone.

I think they're both good to have, but if someone had to get only one, I'd go with the engine SSK.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
Chifte

Drives: 2012 Yaris
I love this short shifter, last night I installed the MI crank pulley, AFE intake and the engine side SSK, my Yaris is transformed. The SSK is the most appreciable gain I'd say, though it revs faster and sounds like a miniature WRX at WOT now! I'm not sure if I'll do the in cabin SSK, the shifts I have now are very pleasing.

Woo love this SSK! MI rocks as always.

*Also would like to thank my lady for buying me the shifter for my birthday*

** Left signed <3

Last edited by Chifte; 10-07-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Chifte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I use both kits and enjoy super short, crisp shifts. Wouldn't go back to single or stock.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Thanks guys!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #10
Neurotic Hapi Snak

Drives: 2011 Yaris 3dr
I was trying to decide on which one, or both, to get. I guess if it's too short of a throw, I can buy a extension, the stock height could do with an inch or two of extra height. I also am wondering what difference the cable bushings and cage bushings make?
Neurotic Hapi Snak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I went with the MI engine-bay kit and a TWM short-throw shift lever. There's a thread around here somewhere with pictures and measurements... Anyway, it makes the car all but undrivable by anyone but me, and that's only because I drive it 60-70 miles a day on rural commute roads. The previous posts about "hard to find positions" and "uncertain neutral" are all true, but once you develop muscle memory for it, you can shift with 2 or 3 fingers instead of your palm. The reduced throw is great for autoX (as long as you don't miss!) and quick acceleration, plus it keeps 5th gear away from your passenger's left leg.

All of that said, if you're willing to spend a week or two learning the new pattern and shift efforts, it can be a very rewarding mod.

As for the cage bushings, I can't comment. The cage itself is plastic, so there's going to be a certain amount of play that you can't remove even with the bushings. Also, the linkages on the gearbox itself are pretty messy and the cable has lots of deflection and introduces load-loss at the shift lever. Bottom line here? No matter how much $$ you throw at it, it will never be as precise or smooth as a shift lever that is integrated directly into the gearbox (i.e. mid/rear or front/rear configurations).

Does that muddy the waters enough? =)
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:31 AM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ I think that's helpful.

The cage and cable bushings do take some slop out of the shifting. Anything that changes rubber to metal will help with that. At one point, before I had the cage bushings available, I just bolted my cage to the floor. Why not? -- but then it's a bit lower, so I do prefer the bushings. I run a 3" extension -- I like my shifter closer to the steering wheel.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #13
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I run a 3" extension -- I like my shifter closer to the steering wheel.
I do the same and have added the armrest. to make the armrest work with a manual, it is almost a must to add the extender.

that being said, the extender without a short shifter is like driving a transfer truck. the throw was literally 9" from 3rd to 4th gear.

I have both short shifters and all 6 bushings along with a 3" extender. I actually bought a second extender but put it on and realized it was rediculous. I am happy with the results I have right now.