Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars
Oh what a feeling

Drives: Yaris
Another Pet peeve

I thought the instrument panel was really cool. But there is a safety problem. At dusk, not dark enough to see your own headlight light but dark enough that others can't see you w/o your headlight lit, there's no indication that you don't have your headlight lit. Because Yarii instrument panel is always lit. With old school technology, you 'll notice easily that you can't see the instrument panel because its dark, and that's your cue to turn on the headlight. Yarii has no such cue. Almost got into a bad wreck today because of this. I now think Yarii instrucment panel is not very cool. Technology. One step foreward, two steps back.
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Huh?

Next to the CEL... looks like a light bulb with light coming from it.

If it's illuminated... your lights are on. If it isn't... your lights are off.

Last edited by jpmck03; 11-21-2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: "you're" isn't "your"...
jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
this ^

also you can dim the dashboard lights

yours is probably cranked up to the notch, making it full bright

roll it back halfway, then turn the headlights on ...instrument panel will dim
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
I can see mine just fine and it's set below 1/2 brightness. Turn it up so you can see your indicator lights. Sounds to me that the only safety issue in your car is the loose nut behind the wheel.
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars
Oh what a feeling

My grammer must be really bad because yall guys all missed my point.

Let me try it again with an example. I get into car when the sky is bright sun light. I drive and drive. Of course, my headlight is off because the sky is bright. The instrument panel is fully lit; this cannot be dimmed when headlight is off. After driving for many hours, the sky is loosing day light. Other people are starting to turn on their headlights. I'm driving and look down at the instrument and can see everything clearly. There's nothing to indicate my headlight needs to be turned on because everything looks good and bright, whereas in an old school instrument panel, everything would be dark and unseeable. I drive along, and a guy in other car only looks for bright headlight in this low light condition and drives in front of me. Ka-pang!

You get it now? Yarii need some kind of light sensor. When the outside gets dark, a bright red light will blink until headlight is turned on. I'm serious; I've almost gotten into a wreck twice because of this.

Last edited by Connoisseur_of_fine_cars; 11-21-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:27 PM   #6
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
" Sounds to me that the only safety issue in your car is the loose nut behind the wheel."

And members wonder why there's no activity .

Last edited by Hershey; 11-21-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

Drives: 09YarisSedan, 94Truck22re
Solution: turn the little knob at the end of the turn signal stalk all the way to the on setting before dusk. (haha, sorry)

My instrument cluster isn't always lit. Maybe they changed it in a later year than yours.
NZ-FE Vios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connoisseur_of_fine_cars View Post
My grammer must be really bad because yall guys all missed my point.

Let me try it again with an example. I get into car when the sky is bright sun light. I drive and drive. Of course, my headlight is off because the sky is bright. The instrument panel is fully lit; this cannot be dimmed when headlight is off. After driving for many hours, the sky is loosing day light. Other people are starting to turn on their headlights. I'm driving and look down at the instrument and can see everything clearly. There's nothing to indicate my headlight needs to be turned on because everything looks good and bright, whereas in an old school instrument panel, everything would be dark and unseeable. I drive along, and a guy in other car only looks for bright headlight in this low light condition and drives in front of me. Ka-pang!

You get it now? Yarii need some kind of light sensor. When the outside gets dark, a bright red light will blink until headlight is turned on. I'm serious; I've almost gotten into a wreck twice because of this.
the light sensor is called a 'driver'

how hard is it to turn the lights on ?

you want automatic lights, buy a controller and install one, or get a camry

How can this be a peeve or safety problem with the Yaris ?
fewer cars have automatic lights than those that don't
Old 11-21-2011, 11:05 PM   #9
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
And members wonder why there's no activity .
Humor... deal with it.

I would still argue that it isn't a safety problem with the car (or any car that is set up similarly) but I understand that it is difficult to tell if the lights are on at times. During those times look for the headlight indicator in jpmck03's picture or just reach down and check the knob to see if your lights are on if you can't remember if you turned them on or not. I don't see how a warning light to remind the driver to turn their lights on is at all necessary.
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
The Limo

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
On my 07 sedan my headlight "light" on the dash is where the "cool" light on the dash is in the second post. Don't know if that is because it is a sedan or maybe a Canadian thing. I always check at dusk to make sure that light is on.
Roy
The Limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:09 PM   #11
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
...After driving for many hours, the sky is losing day light. Other people are starting to turn on their headlights. ... There's nothing to indicate my headlight needs to be turned on...
Isn't the fact that it's getting dark out a pretty good indicator to turn your lights on?

Or maybe the fact that other drivers have their headlights on?
Quote:
... there is a safety problem ... with Yarii instrument panel ...
I don't think that this is a flaw with the vehicle or a safety issue for Toyota to worry about...
Quote:
Yarii need some kind of light sensor. When the outside gets dark, a bright red light will blink until headlight is turned on.
So, they need a light to remind you to turn your lights on when it's dark out?

What next, a light to remind you to turn your wipers on when it's raining?

Or a sensor that tells you that your back window is frosted over, so you should turn your defroster on so you can see?

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #12
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

^ some cars have all that stuff, they cost a biiiiiiit more than a Yaris...>$100,000
Old 11-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #13
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars
Oh what a feeling

Arghh!!! I'm talking about at dusk.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:45 AM   #14
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars
Oh what a feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ-FE Vios View Post
My instrument cluster isn't always lit. Maybe they changed it in a later year than yours.
Mine is 2011. Mine is always lit. Looks like the Sedan yaris has the tradition instrument cluster, like a Camry. The LB Yaris has the fancy new always-lit instrument.

Camry

Sedan Yaris

LB Yaris

Last edited by Connoisseur_of_fine_cars; 11-22-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:58 AM   #15
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I look at my climate control knobs as a reminder that my lights are on or off...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:17 AM   #16
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I think there's an app for that...
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:02 AM   #17
w7ist

Drives: 08 yaris lb
You could disable your DRL so that you can't see as it's getting dark. That is halfway there to being more 'old school'.
w7ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:52 AM   #18
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I've had way too many people pull out in front of me during the daytime, so I always keep my lights on. To compensate for the dimmed panel lights, I turn the brightness knob all the way up. Going past the bump at the top end puts the dash lights on full-bright, so they can be more easily seen.

I've made turning on the lights part of my pre-driving sequence, so I don't even think about it when I crank the car up. I.e. foot on break, clutch in, gears in neutral, key in, crank, clutch out, lights on, music on, check mirrors, adjust climate control, etc. etc.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote