Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
jcemitte

Drives: 09 yaris sedan
Performance Priorities....What goes first?

OK, So.

Time to get down to business. i was all set with a little chunk of change to dump on garm for some wicked awesome bolt-ons,
but family comes first and now thats all gone. so slowly, paycheck by paycheck, i will now have to buy things slowly.

The Rundown

My Car: 09 yaris sedan

My Goal: 200whp

My Actual Goal: Whatever i can get out of a sedan with a slush box.
(TOYOTA ARE YOU LISTENING!!! FOUR DOOR SUB-COMPACT PERFORMANCE CARS ARE COOL, SO GIVE US A FACTORY FIVE SPEED ALREADY!!!!)

The Plan

Starting at the front I suppose
1.) DC headers
2.) NST pulleys (do underdrive pulleys make your a/c not work as well?)
3.) Undecided on an Intake, suggestions?
4.) Nitto mid pipe, does anyone have a link to buy this thing?
5.) DC axle back
6.) Tien springs
7.) Tokico blues

after its payed off i am going to turbo the shit outta this thing, but thats a ways off. in the mean time i will just read about how awesome a ball bearing turbo would make my life

what order should i buy stuff? i cant decide.

I have a few questions as well.
Is a Grounding kit useful or worth anything to a non swapped motor?
Is there a performance intake mani availible for us? (cough cough garm)
Is there something ive missed

well at any rate ill buy as much as i can from micro image and see what kind of madness i can get out of my slushy sedan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010-07-19 17.01.00 (1).jpg (141.3 KB, 364 views)
jcemitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:04 AM   #2
mario98c

Drives: Toyota Yaris Sedan 09 STD
You want 200whp?!?! Get a Turbo!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
you'll never get 200 hp out of this thing without spending tons of cash in finding someone to reprogram the ECM or finding a standalone fuel management system.

second, you'll never reach 200hp without some sort of power adder...easiest but most unreliable (longevity terms, not power terms) is nos, and it's also the easiest and cheapest to install and upkeep. you can get a 100hp kit from anywhere for less than 600 bux, fill the tank for 30 and even pay someone 200 or so to install it....so for less than a grand you got 200 hp total. but, i wouldnt go more than about a 35 shot if i were gonna keep it as any sort of driver.

you can turbo, there are kits for about a grand out there...or you can pay more for better gear (i'd definitely suggest paying more than a thousand for a turbo setup...you get what you pay for)

but, for you to dream that you'll hit 200hp naturally aspirated on the stock engine is just...sensless. now, put a celica engine in there...sure...drop a honda engine in there...sure. but, the stock 1.5l engine will likely never see 200 hp without some sort of power adder. there are no cams available, no tuning software, no heads, and people have even used different combos of pistons/cranks and still not reached 200 hp. someone here has a blitz supercharger and he's only at 135hp. and there's a turbo car somewhere around the 175 range.

but to answer your question, if you want to start somewhere, start on suspension. because no matter what you do to engine/turbo/sc/nos, whatever....you'll always use the suspension. and unless you change engines, you'll always use the same suspension design or similar. so...i'd go springs/swaybar/shox n struts.

if you do turbo you're wasting your money on axleback and headers and midpipe. and if you supercharge, well...you need all that stuff, but you may need bigger than whats available...so wait till you 'need it' to get it.

pullies are always good,

intake...again, if you go turbo you wont need it, and the supercharger comes with it so .... whatcha gonna do there???

and again, check the for sale section, there's always goodies in there for ya. i got my AFE intake for 50 bux, HID's for 50 bux, and a pulley set (almost) for about 50 bux.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
1. intake
2. lowering springs
3. rims + tires
Old 07-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
Vioz

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Vioz
Unless your garm pushing 300+ hp all built up engine turbo wat/met inject etc etc lol otherwise with just those addon's you posted you would probably get about 5-8 hp gain no more.

If you want to do 200+ whp

go online and search car-parts.com or go to a junk yard and buy the same engine to build in your garage, engine shouldn't be more than 800$, i found some nearby me for 400$ even with only 10k miles on them and so on.

heres some information on what garm did on his built engine http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...-turbo-project

I tried searching but I remember finding a post with a link to a website with instructions on the build.

Basically you need to shell out close to $10,000 depending, if you do it all yourself it will be less.

Vioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I got 17 whp from the bolt-ons and have the dyno to prove it. It's a respectable gain and you can feel it.

There should be a turbo kit available soon that pushes about 150 whp.

200 will require a turbo and a tune on the dyno, and a stock motor probably wouldn't handle it for a long time.

An N/A 200 whp would be a really fun project, but a LOT of work.

let's see how the Gude cams do on H3llion's car, there may be some hope for more substantial bolt on mods yet.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
jcemitte

I suppose 200whp is extremely ambitious...
thanks for bringing me back down to reality lol

I've talked it over with the wife and i could just get a rsx and boom presto
200hp

but i really like my yaris and i dont want to abandon it just because he is a little under powered, and i feel like a motor swap is losing its character... unless maybe to a 2nz or what ever the carolla motor is with the vvti...

so i suppose figure out a carolla motor build, or be happy with what i have, because as it is, its already a fun nimble little car. i mobbed down to long beach for spocom driving very irresponsibly and still had a blast and got 36mpg.

maybe thats the whole point of a sub compact....i just had an epifany!

im just going to stick with whats availible for the stock motor bolt some shit on and appreciate the car for what it is.

Last edited by jcemitte; 07-20-2010 at 12:25 PM. Reason: my eyes have been opened
Old 07-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ that sounds like plenty of fun.

Don't forget, as other have mentioned, that some handling mods make the car even more fun.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
kou

Drives: 08 lb
200HP NA has been done by G-force garage in japan.13:1 compression,cams,
ITB's and a new gear set for the trans.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #10
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcemitte View Post
but i really like my yaris and i dont want to abandon it just because he is a little under powered
This is exactly how I feel. Personally, I get so much satisfaction in modding a car that so few people have even seen as more than just a fuel economy box. Anyone can go out and drop a few 10ks on a nice car, but modding an already unique car is just cool.
The potential for performance (and especially handling) is there, you just need to realize it.

It's pretty funny that no one I know takes a Yaris seriously. The other day I took one of my nay-saying buddies out for a spin and as soon as he saw how flawlessly the car was taking turns at 70+ mph he shut up pretty quick.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
It's pretty funny that no one I know takes a Yaris seriously.
That's why you have us.

.... and the guy you took out for a spin.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #12
jcemitte

OMG my wife is killing me!!!!

i just called her and asked (i have a vaction coming up this weekend mind you) if i could spend $480.00 on some springs and shocks/struts

she said no

then i asked if i could spend $280.00 on aformentioned shocks/struts

she said no

then i asked if i could at least buy the springs

you guessed it...no

then i reminded her that i spent $280.00 so we could leave a night early and stay in the room for a total of four hours and told she owes me at least a cold air intake

she said no

im dying to buy something and im not good at patience.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #13
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcemitte View Post
OMG my wife is killing me!!!!

i just called her and asked (i have a vaction coming up this weekend mind you) if i could spend $480.00 on some springs and shocks/struts

she said no

then i asked if i could spend $280.00 on aformentioned shocks/struts

she said no

then i asked if i could at least buy the springs

you guessed it...no

then i reminded her that i spent $280.00 so we could leave a night early and stay in the room for a total of four hours and told she owes me at least a cold air intake

she said no

im dying to buy something and im not good at patience.
Or Negotiations eathier, reading the above
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #14
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Sooooo Whipped!!!! LOL Whip it!!
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #15
jcemitte

god i know remind me to look for my balls in her purse when she gets home sheesh

i might just order it anyways

you know get my man hood back

not likely
Old 07-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #16
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I am starting with the simpler stuff first.

Just ordered the TRD exhaust. Then I'll get the TRD CAI when I have some money to burn.

After that, prob DC headers.
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:54 AM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

LOL @ the wifey story. I got no advice for you, mine is cool that I am pursuing my passion, as long as the bills are paid.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #18
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
so...are those cams available yet? i'm not doing anything until they are. i'll do it all at once n be done with it.

also, how's the programming/timing issue going to be solved with a cam swap?
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote