Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #37
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Well it looked good. But yeah imo, a doe is bigger than a fiat.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #38
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
I actually agree with the first part of your comment. But the second part was a clear jab at the quality of the car because it "comes from Mexico". Apparently my attempt at trying to clear that misconception was not well understood.

In closing... Why write this:

... if you agree with this?
Seriously, you don't get it? There was no jab because the car comes from Mexico, the jab was because the car is a CHRYSLER product.

The second part you did not get was in response to the various posts that indicate the car handles great because it is "Italian", or that it will die on the side of the road because it is a "Fiat". Neither of those theories are applicable to a Chrysler built in Mexico - ok, it could die on the side of the road due to the Chrysler DNA.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #39
Mead

Drives: BSP Yaris LB 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleTimeTim View Post
SC the yaris for now, wait two years, and buy the fiat used (and much cheaper). done deal
this is the best advice, I wait one year or so
Mead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #40
joe keeney

Drives: yaris 2 door hatch
back when they sold fiat in U.S they were good for about 50,ooo miles, then to the boneyard. I know no better small car than yaris it a winner.
joe keeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #41
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
i heard tons of bad FIAT things in the past, but it doesn't mean that the newer version with a better technology would do the same thing.... fiat is big in europe , they also make the lancia brand.

I understand that there are some differences with the us and europe specs in term of manufacturing, but it also doesnt mean that the fiat europe will let go any error or less quality control.

and if I were chrysler, I will do my best to make the fiat 500 to the highest qulity as possible as they already invest tons of money and aslo they want to make a profit as soon as possible.

that's how I see it.... it doesn't matter where did they build the car because they want to keep the price lower and I believe the standard is up to the italian fiat.
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #42
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
Quote:
Originally Posted by vten View Post
and if I were chrysler, I will do my best to make the fiat 500 to the highest qulity as possible as they already invest tons of money and aslo they want to make a profit as soon as possible.
Fiat SpA owns a controlling percentage of Chrysler. Not the other way around. It's Fiat's job to make the 500 as good as possible.

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:44 AM   #43
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
Seriously, you don't get it? There was no jab because the car comes from Mexico, the jab was because the car is a CHRYSLER product.
Wow I totally missed your point then... My apologies.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #44
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
Yup back in Europe , but here in the USA, chrysler is controlling it share ... That's why in my opinion they brought the whole assembly in Mexico to keep the price lower and sellable ... Under the monitor of fiat spa off course .
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #45
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I've seen and sat in the 500 at my local area studio and was really impressed by it. The color variety is extensive and it appears to be put together quite well. The engine cover pops right off with a tug revealing the tiny 1.4 under it. The interior is a treat for the eyes, plenty of color as the dash matches the outside color. It seems like a much more "fancier" high end car than the Yaris in that there are so many standard goodies included in the base pop model like POWER WINDOWS!
My local dealer is having a blowout sale at $13,999 for a POP model that will regularly run you $15.5K.
With that said, I would KEEP the Yaris and buy the FIAT as a fun car to tool around in. The dealership network for fiat is REAL sparse and Toyota shops are everywhere, at least here. If/when Chrysler bails out and takes FIAT out of the US market, you will have an orphaned car with no factory support network. Remember Daewoo , Yugo (yikes!), Bertone X 1/9, and Diahatsu? The nearest SMART car dealer by me is now in NYC, used to be one 30min from home, but it's gone..
Keep the Yaris as a safety net for when the FIAT acts up....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #46
vadr45
vadr45

Drives: 2009 Base 3-door
Well, I'm a newby, still getting used to my Yaris. I craved a Fiat until December when the dealer told me that he didn't expect the Abarth until April. Then I was reminded of my MINI Cooper S, which needed two years before they worked the bugs out and which lost its pumps and sensors - seriatum - at the five-year mark, requiring the sub-frame to be removed to get at the dead parts EVERY TIME ONE WENT BAD!

I'll go drive the Abarth just to see what I'm missing, but I'll be happy to drive my sooped-up 3-door for a least two years until we know if the Abarth is going to work or follow in the MINI's hoof-prints. I can say (without fear of successful contradiction) that my Yaris is far livelier and faster than the Fiat Sport model and they handle about the same. I have no reason to believe that the Abarth is going to thrill me.

vadr45
Alexandria, VA
2009 Black Base 3-Door Yaris
1950 Austin A70 Hampshire
vadr45 is offline   Reply With Quote