Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Megan Racing muffler installed

Received my from MI couple days ago. Just installed (do not work Mondays)

1. Negative stuff: the exhaust tip is not positioned properly relative the horizontal line of the muffler -is sort of rotated 10 degrees clockwise (which is noticeable and does not look nice). I guess the guy at the Megan R factory in charge of this operation is blind or something (kinda difficult to screw up this operation but he did it).

3. Positive stuff: comes with gasket, new bolts. Installation is straightforward (was arounf 90 minutes in my case as I am not a pro mechanic). I remember seeing issues on this forum re muffler pipe hitting the passenger side spring- I do not have this problem - there a gap around 20 mm.

Is definitely louder than stock muffler, I like the sound so far. I am taking my car for a drive later today (to pick up my TRD CAI), will let you know if I see any engine power increase.

http://photo.qip.ru/users/tolmach/96608749/128189357/

http://photo.qip.ru/users/tolmach/96608749/128189364/

http://photo.qip.ru/users/tolmach/96608749/128189367/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG2711.jpg (164.2 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2714.jpg (96.8 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2713.jpg (133.9 KB, 341 views)
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
for interest sake, i ended up flat blacking my megan muffler (all but the tip)

Old 06-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
That looks much nicer.

High Temp BBQ Black is your friend.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
That looks much nicer.

High Temp BBQ Black is your friend.
Ya, I hated how shiny it was....I used high heat exhaust paint
Old 06-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #5
TOLMACH

Spent 40 minutes properly positioning the muffler. Made it parallel to ground - looks much better now.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
TOLMACH

More on my funny exhaust and my experience with MI

Was trying to convince myself tha funny looking exhaust tip is ok, but I am not liking it at all, thus, approached MI today with the request to have my muffler replaced with the OK one.

MI acknowledged the problem (after three hours of correspondence) and advised me that this generally falls under the warranty and I am responsible for the return shipment and another shipment if I want it replaced. They also told me that normally I am supposed to be dealing with Megan R directly.

Following rounds of e-mail exchanges I was offered the solution

- They ship to me the new one at their own expense (on the exception basis) - they have the OK one in stock now
- I remove mine and install the correct one, following which I pay for shipping and return my to the vendor
- MI works with Megan to have me reimbursed for my shipping (not guaranteed)
- In this option I run a risk of loosing 70-100 bucks worth of shipping

Another solution that was offered following several more rounds of negotiations (quite heated rounds)

- I remove my exhaust, and ship it at my expense to MI
- MI reimburses me for everything: my muffler, my original shipment and return shipment costs (again, on exceptional basis)
- Which kinda leaves me with nothing (to receive such offers seems totally weird to me.. do they even care what is going on with customers? )

It is nice that they are eager to discuss options which fall outside their policies, the problem is that both options still involve either risk of losing 70-100 bucks (which makes my muffler more expensive than Tanabe M bought and delivered from e-bay) or considerable effort of removing my exhaust, installing stock one, shipping at my expense, waiting for refund, waiting for another one and finally installing it again. That being said the situation remains simple - I still have not received the item I paid for (I am not buying the argument that once you installed it - it should be fine.. in fact I only saw the problem once the exhaust was installed..). Everyting would be totally different would they check what they are shipping to clients (which is, as I was told,what they do not do)

My question is: Why do I need to bother with all the stuff above (nobody would sure compensate me for my time spent under the car or having to deal with this situation). Would I be the business owner, I would first ship the correct item to the buyer and then start thinking how to recover the costs that are incurred.

Not cool.. escalated the issue to paypal - let them decide who is right and wrong

Feel very upset

thoughts / ideas welcome

Last edited by TOLMACH; 06-18-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Seems to me this belongs in the Feedback thread. (mods?)

But, thank you for acknowledging that we are going far beyond our own return policies to work with you. Policies that, within the aftermarket parts industry, are less restrictive than most (see TRDsparks.com for example: you install it, you own it. period).

We were in conversation with Megan more than once today and we are not done yet. I think the PayPal claim is premature, but that's your choice as a customer. We'll answer it in due course if we can't resolve it with you by working with Megan on your behalf.

Interesting that you included all of your reasons for your position, and none of Micro Image's reasons for ours. I look forward to further private conversations with you when we hear back from Megan. Hoping for a resolution that works for both of us.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
tooter
play every day

Hey mach,

(edit) Sorry, just read what you wrote.

Why not simply cut off the tip, rotate it and have it welded back on.?That's what I'd do. It's simpler anc cheaper than hasseling with a return for such a simple fix.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

His tip is "clocked" about 10 degrees to the right. It's a manufacturer's defect.

Typically, the part would fall under the Manufacturer's warranty, and our Return policy (which is published on every page of our online store under "Ordering Info").

We felt both were too restrictive in this case and offered more favorable solutions to the customer. We hope to hear from Megan tomorrow with an even better answer -- and the customer knows this.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
TOLMACH

Quote:
Hey mach,

I hope you can help me to understand...
What was originally wrong with your Megan? Was it just that you didn't like the tip, or was there some kind of manufacturing defect in the exhaust itself? And what is the "OK one" you wanted to exchange it for?
It took me rouhly three hours to explain to MI what is wrong with it (language issues).. the correct explanation is something like @it is clocked about 15 degrees around its axis clockwise@.. just a manufacturing defect.. ok one means the correct one - the one shown on the web-site (one without issues)

i like it overall, nice sound.. the issue is purely cosmetic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mine vs the correct one.jpg (96.6 KB, 280 views)
Old 06-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #11
tooter
play every day

Got it, Garm. I'm kind of slow...

That's such a minor problem. Nothing that a hacksaw and a quick trip to a muffler shop wouldn't cure.

Hey Mach,

Why go down the complicated time consuming adversarial road when you can easily fix the exhaust you already have for just a few bucks.

Just sayin'...
Old 06-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #12
TOLMACH

Quote:
Hey mach,

(edit) Sorry, just read what you wrote.

Why not simply cut off the tip, rotate it and have it welded back on.?That's what I'd do. It's simpler anc cheaper than hasseling with a return for such a simple fix.
Even better solution would be to buy the mitre saw with cut-off disc and make a nice straight cut.. the problem is that I live in a condo and all my mods are done between 10 pm and 2 am where not much people are using the parkade (it is forbidden to do any repairs to the car).. can not use serious tools a lot here

the idea with re-welding the tip is not feasible - would be more expensive than to buy a new one (probably) here in canada (paid 85 bucks for my last oil change) and would not look nice (the exhaust body looks pretty awesome)

besides I am pretty sure that stuff for which I paid 300 bucks should look right without myself cutting and welding it

Last edited by TOLMACH; 06-18-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #13
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLMACH View Post
Even better solution would be to buy the mitre saw with cut-off disc and make a nice straight cut.. the problem is that I live in a condo and all my mods are done between 10 pm and 2 am where not much people are using the parkade (it is forbidden to do any repairs to the car).. can not use serious tools a lot here

the idea with re-welding the tip is not feasible - would be more expensive than to buy a new one (probably) here in canada and would not look nice (the exhaust body looks pretty awesome)
Ok, I understand your condo working constraints, and had no idea that muffler shop work was so expensive in Canada.

Down here, it would only be about 15-20 dollars tops for one simple 2 minute weld. With the muffler off the car, you could cut the tip off right at the first flare by hand quietly with a hacksaw. Stainless steel can be welded very cleanly and close enough to the muffler so as to be unnoticed under the car. Heck, I'd be painting the whole damn thing flat black anyways just like the Barber did!

This is just my opinion of what I would do in your situation. If it was me I wouldn't want to go through all the hassle of return shipping and revoking credit purchases and waiting for replacements.

But it's your call...

Last edited by tooter; 06-18-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:45 PM   #14
TOLMACH

^ My issue now is why am I even having this problem and have to fight to get my stuff for which I paid

Reference is made to the policies (learned today, was unaware before, my bad).. see below:

http://shop.microimageonline.com/termsandconditions.sc
__________________________________________________ ___________________
We accept returns if merchandise is COMPLETE, UNUSED and in ORIGINAL PACKAGING only.
We do not accept if parts have been installed.

Defective goods may be returned for exchange or credit.
Customer is responsible for shipping costs on returns in all cases.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Basically it means that no matter what happens with your order you pay for the return shipment (which is totally crazy IMHO).. So, even if i would not have installed my item, i would still have to pay circa 70-100 bucks for shipping it back to get the cost of item refunded (pls note by this point I already lost 78 bucks worth of shipping the item to my place).

Considering the vendor is not capable to check stuff before shipping them, buying from MI from outside the US does not make sense due to high shipment costs (definitely in case of Canada)

I must be spoiled by the e-bay.. reputable vendors are crazily afraid to get negative feedback .. never had any issues (had technical issues with couple items for which received refunds immediately).. Also had negative experience with my spoiler from partsexperss.. despite the totally lousy client support and huge shipment delay, the first thing these guys did to rectify the problem was to ship another item (they lost money on my order overall)

I guess this is a good point for MI to decide whether they need international clients which kinda suggests their policies need be changed or just stick to the domestic market.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Since we're opening this public discussion (not my choice) to buying in general and and you are recommending against doing business with us, I'll make these points and be done for now.

This customer made three mistakes.

1. Didn't make himself aware of our terms and policies, or notice them on every page of our online store pages), or ask about them, before buying. "What if I have to return it?" would be a very good pre-purchase question from another country, IMO.

2. Didn't inspect the item for flaws before installing it.

3. Installed the item and used it.

In spite of those mistakes, and this thread, and his lack of patience, we will continue to fight for a favorable result for him, continuing the process tomorrow morning.

It should also be pointed out that this is Monday and we've had less than 24 hours to work on the problem. Despite repeated statements that we think we can get a better answer for the customer, as soon as tomorrow, he won't acknowledge that we are still trying, but posts the above instead.

We will continue to sell to our customers, and serve them; all of them!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:18 AM   #16
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLMACH View Post
^ My issue now is why am I even having this problem and have to fight to get my stuff for which I paid

Reference is made to the policies (learned today, was unaware before, my bad).. see below:

http://shop.microimageonline.com/termsandconditions.sc
__________________________________________________ ___________________
We accept returns if merchandise is COMPLETE, UNUSED and in ORIGINAL PACKAGING only.
We do not accept if parts have been installed.

Defective goods may be returned for exchange or credit.
Customer is responsible for shipping costs on returns in all cases.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Basically it means that no matter what happens with your order you pay for the return shipment (which is totally crazy IMHO).. So, even if i would not have installed my item, i would still have to pay circa 70-100 bucks for shipping it back to get the cost of item refunded (pls note by this point I already lost 78 bucks worth of shipping the item to my place).

Considering the vendor is not capable to check stuff before shipping them, buying from MI from outside the US does not make sense due to high shipment costs (definitely in case of Canada)
Hey, you know that you just make a pretty good case for fixing it yourself and avoiding all the additional costs and hassle.

You could even turn this into a positive experience by getting a really cool twintip from a muffler shop and having them put it on for you. That way you wouldn't even need to bother cutting the old one off, as they'd do it for you and you'd have a one of a kind custom exhaust.

I've had a few disappointing experiences similar to yours, everyone else here has at one time or another. Rather than fighting, I tend to look for ways that can I make the best out of what I already have.

So while your specific situation is a genuine defect and you do have a right to demand a a properly manufactured exhaust, comparing the return shipping process against a simple repair or even an improvement is no contest.

The cost of return shipping could get you an even better exhaust tip plus professional installation, and all in about a half hour at your local muffler shop where you drive away happy.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ So positive, that's cool. At least let's wait a day or two and see if Jeff can work some magic with Megan to make it all better.

Can we have a chance to do that? Without a PayPal claim hanging over our heads?
Old 06-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #18
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
We will continue to sell to our customers, and serve them; all of them!
Amen.