Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2019, 11:32 AM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprf1y View Post
Nice work!
In my early trials with synthetic in the 90's I was doing something similar. Changing the filter/top up at roughly the 6 month mark with yearly oil changes. I was getting 24k out of an oil change, testing indicated that everything was OK, and over 10 years with the same car (which had a rep for oiling problems) I had no issues. My 06 truck had an oil life warning/monitoring system and while commuting I would routinely put 20k on it before the light would go on.

Rotella T6 might be an option for you if you're looking for a quality 40Wt at a decent price.
I have always wondered of those oil monitoring systems would correct themselves for synthetic oil. Good to know that they do, those things are actually fairly accurate surprisingly.

I have thought about T6 down the road. I am actually no longer going to buy my pil through CT anymore. In the past I had always waited for sales and paid around $37 for 5L. I took a trip to a local independant discount auto parts store which Carrie's a ton of fluids and a bunch of imported ones like Liquid Moly and boutique ones like Redline. They never have sales but their regular prices are essentially CT's sale prices or better. No more waiting for sales for me.

They have Klondike oil (BC company) for $25 for 5L of full synthetic. They also sell Total oil for $33 and T6 for $44. I looked up Klondike as I use their gear oil in my Vibe and was very happy. They list all of their oil specs online which is rare for companies to be that transparent.

Their Euro 5w40 although not the absolute best specs compared to the Mobil1 or Castrol 5w40, it is a very good spec'd oil work a great HTHS. The other two mentioned above are hard to get around here on sale and they are over $50 for 5L regular price. So I am going to give Klondike a go, $25 is a great price for a well spec'd oil.

When I eventually get my engine tuned and run a higher redline, I will run a UOA on the Klondike to see if I need to run something with more Zinc like a T6