Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
time for new brakes/rotors?

i put new wheels on my car a couple weeks ago and never noticed the condition of my brakes with the hubcaps on, but........wow

anyways, the rotors look rusted and i sort of hear a slight grinding noise just when coasting - not braking. in fact, i never noticed any sounds when braking and maybe i'm imagining it, but i'm thinking maybe the open design of the wheels makes it easier to hear things vs. the stock steelies/hubcaps?

my question is do i need new brakes/rotors? the car has just over 100k miles and my wife and i take it easy driving, but it has been used in the past for delivery(lots of starts and stops).

i always figured i would hear some sort of squealing when the brakes need replaced, but i don't recall ever hearing that. i just think that 100k on a set of brakes might be too long, but i'm not sure? if so, is it a diy job? i've changed the springs on my 3 door and do all the routine maintenace stuff(ie. oil/filter changes), but i've never done front brakes before. just looking to save a little cash this time of year. thanks!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Check the pads for wear (thickness, evenness, edges, etc), and the rotors for any grooving or uneven surface. The only part of the rotor that counts really is the part that the pad contacts -- don't worry about the middle.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Hard to tell from the pic, but rotors look fine. At least the one visible surface does. 100k on pads, probably seriously warrant looking at. I had crud buildup on the inside face of my rotors a couple of years ago. Chewed the hell out of the pads on that side.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
thanks for the quick responses! is inspecting the pads something a novice can do with regular garage tools? i only ask because again i've never fooled with brakes before and it is our only car right now so i can't take it out of commission for too long.

is there a diy out there(the spring one was very informative and all i needed to tackle that job)? thanks again!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
With your wheels off and steering turned hard left or right, you can see the pads through a 'viewing window' on the forward face of the caliper.

Here's some nasty shit for you to look at: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...53&postcount=1
Old 12-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
less than 2/32 i'd replace. i like HAWK Hps. they're awesome but they dust horribly. nice wheels BTW, i always like the 5-stars.

EBC green stuff is good for the street. another option is always OEM....they lasted 100k miles that's probably twice any other pad. and if you got 100k out of the pads it's probably time for rotors. they're cheap, you got it apart, and since brakes are huge heat sinks.....more metal, more heat sinking capabilities.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Dealership wants $180/front and $180/back for brake pads + resurfacing rotor. Looks to me I could buy new rotors and pads/shoes for about half of that, if I'm comfortable attempting an install myself...
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote