Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-04-2008, 02:31 AM   #1
molinee

Drives: 2007 Black LB
Rearview Mirror Too Big?

I have a 2007 LB and am coming to the conclusion that my rearview mirror is just too huge. It seems like it takes up about a quarter of my vision when looking out the windshield and is really a blindspot. Anyone else feel the same way and is there some other mirror that could be substituted that would be about half the size as the original? Anyone do this?
molinee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:37 AM   #2
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Drives: 08 Blk LB
haha, not me! i actually put a larger rearview mirror on, now i barely need my sideview mirrors. :) for me, it just took some time getting used to such a "small" windshield

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
m911gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:42 AM   #3
Ryu

Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
I think that probably you can get one of those smaller but wider rearview mirror that I see in many auto store.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:45 AM   #4
drbilal

Drives: BELTA SEDAN
The one in my sedan actually seems a tad small to me.

Anyways, it will be easy to replace this, just check ebay and some local auto shops etc and im sure you will find various sizes. I recently added a rearview that had a built in LCD but removed it after 2 days because I didnt feel safe at all and it felt too "pimp my ride" lol (mirror portion was pretty dark at night) The device itself was huge.

Welcome to yarisworld.
drbilal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:15 AM   #5
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by molinee View Post
I have a 2007 LB and am coming to the conclusion that my rearview mirror is just too huge. It seems like it takes up about a quarter of my vision when looking out the windshield and is really a blindspot. Anyone else feel the same way and is there some other mirror that could be substituted that would be about half the size as the original? Anyone do this?
How tall are you? I'm over 6'4" which the torso of someone much taller, and find the rear view mirror a nuisance on most cars, but on the Yaris when I come to a 4 way stop I cannot see the intersection to the right of me at all unless I lean over quite a bit. Same when I'm on the highway approaching a merge. I cannot see the merge to the right unless I lean.

I put one in that has a compass, temp and auto dimming feature, and it's a little smaller, but doesn't make much if any difference.

We need to put in a rear view camera
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:28 AM   #6
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
I dont know about you guys.. its perfectly fine... I don't know your seat placement... but it seems like you guys are a little too close to the dash and all. Me for instance I have the seat rolled all the way as far back as possible, So the mirror doesnt obstruct anything. From what you guys are explaining im pretty sure you are too forward unless you have short legs and need to be forward =\

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:31 AM   #7
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Post a picture of the mirror and what it blocks in your view.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #8
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
I feel that the one on my previous '07LB and the one on my '09 LB are too small so I ordered a Gentex K31 auto-dimming mirror w/ map lights, temp. and compass. It's also a wider mirror.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:29 AM   #9
tuckevalastin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
too small
tuckevalastin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #10
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
When I bought my 08, I jacked the night vision homelink mirror out of my 05 Tacoma before I traded it in. Now I have that mirror in my 08 Sedan, which is a little larger than the stock mirror. I think the size is fine. Remember, rear view mirrors are 2-way adjustable. Most people think they are just one way adjustable. So your mirror might just need to be re-adjusted.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #11
molinee

[IMG][/IMG]

OK.... so here is what I am seeing. I have to have the seat all the way back. To me, this mirror is taking up too much of an already small windshield.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #12
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Actually since the Yaris is equipped with two outside mirrors..... you can completely eliminate the center one. Just like a truck or a van without windows.......

Why do I sense this is a Troll!

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:09 PM   #13
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealEnth View Post
I dont know about you guys.. its perfectly fine... I don't know your seat placement... but it seems like you guys are a little too close to the dash and all. Me for instance I have the seat rolled all the way as far back as possible, So the mirror doesnt obstruct anything. From what you guys are explaining im pretty sure you are too forward unless you have short legs and need to be forward =\
My seat is all the way back and I could put it back a few more notches if I had the choice, I also have the seat all the way down. Keep in mind our car is a Sedan and they have a lower roof line than the Hatch.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:23 PM   #14
The LPT

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan Aero Package
here's something i found on here before the hack.. the arm that the mirror is attached is movable.. just move the arm up.(it's really stiff to move though) I felt the same way, the mirror is way too low and gets in the way.
The LPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #15
molinee

Quote:
Originally Posted by The LPT View Post
here's something i found on here before the hack.. the arm that the mirror is attached is movable.. just move the arm up.(it's really stiff to move though) I felt the same way, the mirror is way too low and gets in the way.
Hey there, The LPT.... THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY!!!! While most everyone else thought I was nuts for thinking that the mirror was in a horrible place, your heads up help stating that the arm itself is moveable saved the day. I had tried to move this arm some time ago when I first bought the car but it didn't budge so I thought that it was not moveable and I didn't want to break it off. I just went out to the car a few minutes ago and put some force into the arm and it kind of broke loose (in a good way). I guess it was frozen in that downward position. Somewhere along the line before I got the Yaris someone must have cranked the entire setup downward and there it sat for as long as I have had it. For you non-believers, just pull the mirror arm all the way down and you will see what I had been seeing.... dah!
-Thanks LPT.... much appreciated.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #16
Rotorheader

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatchback
I pulled my mirror towards me, and rotated it all the way up, nearly to where my headliner starts. That seemed to increase my field of vision by a bunch.
Rotorheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:08 PM   #17
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Wait, you can move the mirror higher up on the windshield on the LB?

Is there a DIY for this? I'd try it myself, but I'm afraid of breaking the windshield.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #18
evan

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
Wait, you can move the mirror higher up on the windshield on the LB?

Is there a DIY for this? I'd try it myself, but I'm afraid of breaking the windshield.
No, that feature is only on the sedan. I might look into getting a sedan mirror for my LB.