Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-25-2009, 02:50 AM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Anyone running TRD springs with stock struts?

Just wondering what you guys think of the ride. What do you like about it and is there anything you don't like? Pros and cons?
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
well it rides like shit with trd springs stock struts if you dont cut the bump stops !!!! if you call trd they will play dumb and act like you dont need to to that but if you want the ride back to almost stock feel cut the bump stops . if you run the trd strut and spring package i would not know about cutting the bump stops .
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
detroiter

I wonder why in the instructions they give and also if you ask them personally, why they don't say anything about cutting the stops. I've been doing some reading and it seems that the TRD springs are a bit stiffer then the other springs of choice, so that it's much less of a deal about bottoming out, terrible ride, etc.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
I wonder why in the instructions they give and also if you ask them personally, why they don't say anything about cutting the stops. I've been doing some reading and it seems that the TRD springs are a bit stiffer then the other springs of choice, so that it's much less of a deal about bottoming out, terrible ride, etc.
Well, the TRD springs and shocks were made to go together as a package. I talked to several different Toyota mechanics from a few different dealerships and they all told me that if I were to put on just the springs while keeping the stock shocks, I would need to cut the bumpstops to keep the stock ride quality; if I were to use the TRD shocks then the bumpstop would not need to be cut.
Before I put on my TRD shocks, the ride quality was not very good. Almost every time I went over a bump, my rear shocks (after the springs had settled) made this crashing sound. After the TRD shocks, no issues at all. And I never cut the bumpstops.

Now, if you can't really afford the TRD shocks, and they are admittedly a bit pricey, you can opt for the Tokico sport shocks from yarisuniverse.com. They're $306 including shipping.
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
yarstar

Drives: 2008 Absolute Red HB
There's a DIY (or was) on here on how to install lowering springs. I did cut my bumpstops just like it described and had no problems at all. If you do not cut them, the car will not lower in the front like it's designed to do with them installed.

BTW, I found the original TRD box with the packing slip still attached from TRD Sparks and have your springs boxed. I will be shipping in just a bit. I'll PM you with a tracking number very soon.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
mrbond

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarstar View Post
If you do not cut them, the car will not lower in the front like it's designed to do with them installed.
Well, this isn't 100% true. They will lower after their settling-in period. Granted, with the stock shocks, they won't lower as much as when you put performance shocks in; in which case it's uneccessary to cut the bumpstops. If you do keep the stock shocks, you should cut them.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
Sparks Toyota-TRD

Drives: Toyota/Scion
Springs and Struts from us for a set is $595. That is the lowest I can go for you guys!

Tim
Sparks Toyota-TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
mrbond

Damn. I wish I would have waited this long to get them. Once again, you guys are making these prices super good!
Old 03-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
Sparks Toyota-TRD

Drives: Toyota/Scion
We do what we can here. We are a wholesale dealer so a lot of our prices will be cheap and some will be expensive.

If you need anything just feel free to contact us via PM or call 1-866-249-3607!!

Tim
Sparks Toyota-TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #10
detroiter

It seems like a mixed review. Some say cut it or it won't be so great. Others say that no need to cut it and it's totally fine. I'm not really sure what to do :(

How would the combo of TRD springs and Tokico blues be? I'm going to use the TRD springs on the stock struts for a while until I can save for the blues but just curious what that combination would be like.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #11
mrbond

Lol, I recently swapped out my TRD shocks for the Tokico blues. Personally, I think they feel a bit sportier - this also means they aren't as smooth a ride as the TRDs.
For the bumpstops, I believe the consensus is if you plan on keeping your stock shocks, cut them. If you plan on putting new shocks in, like the Tokicos, don't cut them.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:18 AM   #12
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbond View Post
Lol, I recently swapped out my TRD shocks for the Tokico blues. Personally, I think they feel a bit sportier - this also means they aren't as smooth a ride as the TRDs.
For the bumpstops, I believe the consensus is if you plan on keeping your stock shocks, cut them. If you plan on putting new shocks in, like the Tokicos, don't cut them.

Interesting to hear your Tokico vs. TRD damper comments. This is the first I've read from someone who has experienced both and am surprised at your comment that the Tokico's are sportier. The TRD's in my sedan are much stiffer than the OEM set-up and I honestly cannot imagine driving the mean streets (pot holes and frost heaves) with anything brisker. I'm already concerned about how the well the Yaris' non-suspension parts with will hold up with the extra hammering sustained by the TRD set-up. In a net-shell, I'm hoping the car isn't a rattletrap long before it's time.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #13
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
I have factory shocks with trd springs. Nowhere in the instructions did it say to cut the bump stops. I gave my coworker a ride one day who is used to driving bmws and other cars that have a comfortable ride and he comented on how smooth my ride is. Even though my car is lowerd. I think it only gets rough on higher speeds as the springs are progressive. If you have the factory bump stops combined with the higher spring rate it will boost your spring rate even more till you will start to get a see saw effect. But normal local street driving where the road is relatively smooth and the lower speed it feels pretty much like factory. I think the pro with the factory bump stops that if you high a pothole on the freeway you wont bottom your car out being the bump stop will not allow the travel for that to happen as opposed to if you did cut them. I am kinda curiouse how my car would feel if i removed them i may be singing a different tune. But i am kinda waiting till they are blown out first or 30k miles whichever comes first before i swap in tokiko struts and shocks and at that time i plan to cut them. Since i should be okay since they have a higher valving. There are many people here that will tell you its not nessisary and some that say it is. I think either way you go you should be okay.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:07 PM   #14
detroiter

I've been reading alot and I'm guessing that since the Tokico blues are more stiff and aggressive in suspension, there is no need to cut the bump stops on the Tokicos. They are designed for lowering and sport springs so they have much more resistance and much less likely to bottom then a normal OEM factory spring.

I'm thinking about buying some of the blues from yarisuniverse and just put them on together with the TRD springs, that way it's done right and done at the same time instead of having to do it twice.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:19 PM   #15
RomGrr

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
I've been reading alot and I'm guessing that since the Tokico blues are more stiff and aggressive in suspension, there is no need to cut the bump stops on the Tokicos. They are designed for lowering and sport springs so they have much more resistance and much less likely to bottom then a normal OEM factory spring.

I'm thinking about buying some of the blues from yarisuniverse and just put them on together with the TRD springs, that way it's done right and done at the same time instead of having to do it twice.
I'm pretty sure the aftermarket (TRD included) struts are shorter too. Please correct me if I am wrong.
RomGrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #16
mrbond

Yeah, generally they are since sport shocks aren't really designed to be paired with stock-height springs.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #17
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
I've got the TRD Springs on stock struts and the car handles fine...My bumpstops were not cut...

Cheers
im running TEIN's on stock struts now with no cut bumpstops as well.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #18
jdinrc

Drives: 2009 Yaris Blazing Blue 3dr
I'm with Echo and Blazinblue, I'm running TRD red springs installed by the dealer, with stock struts/shocks and I think it rides great. I can't imagine the dealer cut the stops.
jdinrc is offline   Reply With Quote