Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
rudiel

Drives: Black HB, 17" TenzoR rims
Question bout clutches and flywheels

Sup yall. First, i was wondering if is worth spending some money on a better clutch and flywheel for my 2009 3dr yaris. If so, around how much will it cost me to get them things installed? If is not a good investment, what yall think will be a good upgrade? Current mods on my car are the following; AEM CAI, Megan Header, Magnaflow exhaust with 2" piping, NST short shifter, NST 10% Underdrive Crank Pulley, Tanabe lowering springs, Tanabe front stabilizer bar, 17" rims. Any help will be highly appreciated! Go Yaris!

PS: I want to make the car faster BTW
rudiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
The right lightweight flywheel and clutch combo is always a good idea if you are after better throttle response and quicker acceleration.

Whether they are a good idea, or a worthwhile investment, is something only you and your budget can answer.

We offer good options (on sale right now) and so does MicroImage, if you're ever interested.

Good luck and have fun with all your projects!

NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
The flywheel will make you (a little) faster, the clutch won't. You don't need a clutch unless you intend to boost your car, or race competitively.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
eii
Rides canyon walls

Drives: 1988 RX7 FC 10th AE
Put turbos = faster car. done.

OEM Style Wing Spoiler | TRD Axle-Back Exhaust | Megan Lowering Springs (1.5 f/r) | Simota Carbon Charger Intake | Python 871XP Alarm System | Aluminum Sports Pedal | 17x7 +42mm Enkei J10 Black w/ Silver Lip | 205/40 Falken Ziex-912 | NST Lite Crank Pulley Red | 1ZZ-FE Throttle Body | AMK Racing Header
eii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:24 PM   #5
mario98c

Drives: Toyota Yaris Sedan 09 STD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiel View Post
Sup yall. First, i was wondering if is worth spending some money on a better clutch and flywheel for my 2009 3dr yaris. If so, around how much will it cost me to get them things installed? If is not a good investment, what yall think will be a good upgrade? Current mods on my car are the following; AEM CAI, Megan Header, Magnaflow exhaust with 2" piping, NST short shifter, NST 10% Underdrive Crank Pulley, Tanabe lowering springs, Tanabe front stabilizer bar, 17" rims. Any help will be highly appreciated! Go Yaris!

PS: I want to make the car faster BTW
Hey Veo que eres nuevo en el foro! pasa por el area del caribe que ayi es que estamos los boricuas
Old 02-25-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
you're looking at over a grand for this setup. another and you'll have a supercharger or turbo setup.

stick with a decent oem replacement like zoom or trd.

why spend money in a clutch? you dont have enough power to slip the one u got now...are you slipping? is it time to replace? is there something you're not telling us?
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:49 AM   #7
rudiel

Well, about the money part, i can affort an ACT and a TRD kit plus the labor. But i was just wondering IF it was worth getting it, putting the money aside. severous01, no it aint slipping, but the clutch these cars got are kinda crappy so i was kinda considering on getting a better clutch for my car. I was told already to stick with the stock flywheel but to upgrade (if i wanted) to a better clutch. Keep them comments going, really appreciate the help, thnxs so far.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
rudiel

Dame los links mano que encontre un foro que es de aqui, pero se que hay mas por ahi. Peace!
Old 02-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #9
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
stiffer clutch = heavier clutch. so, an upgraded clutch actually slows you down lol
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #10
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
it is common for S2000 guys to upgrade their flywheel while using an oem clutch. this is what i would choose to do on a yaris as well
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ as long as you never plan to upgrade the clutch, that's cool. Otherwise, doing the work twice is a chore, and there's the extra cost of labor.

I think a mild clutch upgrade is great. I don't care for the stock clutch feel, so for me (using the clutch a lot for my driving pleasure), something a little more aggressive is worth the money, even if there is no particular performance gain.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #12
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ as long as you never plan to upgrade the clutch, that's cool. Otherwise, doing the work twice is a chore, and there's the extra cost of labor.

I think a mild clutch upgrade is great. I don't care for the stock clutch feel, so for me (using the clutch a lot for my driving pleasure), something a little more aggressive is worth the money, even if there is no particular performance gain.
haha i didnt even think of that since i do my own work, but what i meant is that if i were doing a flywheel, i would replace the clutch with an oem unit. since i dont plan on turbo or anything else, it is kinda pointless to do so. the reason s2000 guys do the same thing is because alot of times, they dont do alot of power mods since it is so hard to get much more power out of them. i do know, some of them change the pressure plate simple for the improved pedal feel, similar to what you just described.

either way, i loved having a flywheel on my old 240, i would do the same for the yaris if i ever replaced the clutch, but i imagine i would still use an oem clutch. just one more than where there are looots of options
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:41 AM   #13
victorddr

Drives: 07 Yaris CE
Hi All,

I just got my Clutch and Flywheel replaced on my 07 LB last week. I chosen OEM replacement clutch from EXEDY & FIDANZA lightweight Flywheel.

Well, I can feel the car runs a little faster in acceleration. But I am kind of disappointed with the soft pedal feel from the OEM clutch. If I can choose it over again, as Cali said "a mild upgrade on clutch is a good idea".

Anyways, it done. It doesn't need to be touch for another 4 more yrs!!
victorddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ Good to know, a lightweight flywheel is a great modification. The CCI flywheels I'm having made should be available soon.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #15
cool_beans00

Drives: 2004 Corolla
To the OP
I wouldn't change the clutch until your current one needs to be replaced. Get OEM or a stage 1.

But with that said, might as well upgrade to an aluminum flywheel since the tranny is gonig to be off the car anyways. Like someone mentioned earlier, sucks to do the work twice.
cool_beans00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #16
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_beans00 View Post
To the OP
I wouldn't change the clutch until your current one needs to be replaced. Get OEM or a stage 1.

But with that said, might as well upgrade to an aluminum flywheel since the tranny is gonig to be off the car anyways. Like someone mentioned earlier, sucks to do the work twice.
let's hope he figured this out in the last year ;)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote