Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-19-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
Poorboy

Drives: 07 liftback
Should the States wait?

I am going to buy a Liftback Yaris because of the gas mileage and the fact the it looks damn good for a small car, but I feel I should wait for the 2008 model year because maybe Toyota will wise up and sell us the Canadian model with the tach or the Australian model with the digital dash. The gauges are the only turn off for me. No temp gauge and no revs, what gives! The salesman I spoke with said that if the car doesn't sell as well as planned they will unveil new features next year. (talk about no pressure sales when he was suggesting waiting).
Be nice i'm new
Poorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
I'd like to warn you, the Yaris is not really a fuel saver. If you buy it only for this purpose, you might be disappointed. This car gets only something like 5-10% better MPG that a civic or a corolla if you drive it like a normal car. You might get better MPG, but only if you drive it like on old gran'ma
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
Poorboy

I'm driving 80 miles a day round trip in a ranger so the lift back would be a big improvement. Could I have your gauges heheh?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:37 PM   #4
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
You could wait and see if Toyota will do changes for 08 but on the flipside if the Yaris is selling well (and it is) then that should give Toyota more incentive to add more features as the car is popular and you have to consider competion. I think because of the ECHO, Toyota was scared from the U.S. market acceptance of small cars so Toyota didn't want to go all out. THen again to make it "cheap" they had to water it down as they say so they can keep the price down. If Toyota doesn't change anything for 08 then they might change it for the re-freshed mid-cycle model which idealy would be 2010/2011 model year then for 2012 the new Yaris will come out, if you follow the life cycle patterns of 5years for cars. Good luck!!
Old 02-19-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
Poorboy

Your probably right. Maybe someone will come up with a sweet gauge setup that fits in the driverside glove box.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:00 PM   #6
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
Your probably right. Maybe someone will come up with a sweet gauge setup that fits in the driverside glove box.
Just buy a scangauge. http://www.scangauge.com/

It'll tell you everything you need to know and more. And for just 170.00 dollars instead of a thousand or more the car company would cost ya.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:28 PM   #7
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Drives: 2009 Bayou Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by hystria View Post
I'd like to warn you, the Yaris is not really a fuel saver. If you buy it only for this purpose, you might be disappointed. This car gets only something like 5-10% better MPG that a civic or a corolla if you drive it like a normal car. You might get better MPG, but only if you drive it like on old gran'ma
I beg to differ .. I'm getting great mileage with my car (with the freezing weather) but I wont be able to test the estimated MPG from Toyota until we hit the 65-75 degree mark where the conditions will be perfect.

ambientlifestyle.com------------ambientlifestyle.ning.com

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
microimageonline.com------------microimage.ning.com
Treyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:03 PM   #8
dansides

Drives: 07 3 dr
i have a scan gauge that i use but would still perfer a temp an oil gauge ,an a tach that i could check all at a glance i am going to try the temp an oil gauge that have a programmable led warning lite have lost severals engines due to water pump ,radaitor, heater core failure during hot texas heat are going to mount a dash pod on dash on company trucks maybe the led lite will get the drivers atten have not made a choice how to mount the tach 2 1/6" an same size oil an temp on yaris looking at mounting in dr side box by cutting 3 2"holes but if i mess up the door it is 140.00 for part i don't want it to look chopped up any let me know
dansides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:37 PM   #9
hystria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treyz View Post
I beg to differ .. I'm getting great mileage with my car (with the freezing weather) but I wont be able to test the estimated MPG from Toyota until we hit the 65-75 degree mark where the conditions will be perfect.

Is this in heavy city traffic ? The small engine is not optimized for heavy city driving with many lights/stops, or to be driven with heavy load - more than 2 persons. Just because it lacks torque, so to have it pulling enough it has to rev high and that actually kills gas mileage
Old 02-20-2007, 06:29 PM   #10
magoo_lc1

Drives: honda civic hatch
I have bought toyotas off and on for years. I always found it nuts that what alot of car companys give you in a base package toyota dont offer it or consider it a option. My parents still have their 95 corolla they bought new and an actual trip counter was an option then. No car company should release a car with a manual gearbox without a tach

The influence of peers on individual behavior illustrates the seductive power of conformity

And, I don't mind at all being looked down upon by purists. Indeed I don't mind at all being looked down upon by those whom I do not look up to at
magoo_lc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:27 PM   #11
hystria

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo_lc1 View Post
I have bought toyotas off and on for years. I always found it nuts that what alot of car companys give you in a base package toyota dont offer it or consider it a option. My parents still have their 95 corolla they bought new and an actual trip counter was an option then. No car company should release a car with a manual gearbox without a tach
tach is standard on the canadian model (either hb or sedan). probably it's a marketing decision, Toyota didn't expect to sell many manual liftback in the US. even so, here in Canada Toyota made very weird decisions. The car has lecture lights for both driver/passenger and my base hatchback ($11.700US) came with free 6CD MP3 player, but the trunk has no remote release, both outside mirrors have manual adjustment (finger on the mirror to have it adjusted) and to have the rear wiper it costs over $500US extra. but whatever it is, this is what we pay to have a quality-build car, with some exceptions, the Toyota's are the most reliable cars available.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:58 AM   #12
boris13

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by hystria View Post
tach is standard on the canadian model (either hb or sedan). probably it's a marketing decision, Toyota didn't expect to sell many manual liftback in the US.
Well, if they'd build more manual cars, and have more available at dealers, they'd sell more!

I'm still waiting for my special-order 5-speed liftback. More than three months now, and counting!
boris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:23 PM   #13
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Drives: YARIS 3DOOR
as far as i know toyota will not change the yaris until sometime 09'....but trd might make or bring over a tach......
Old 02-22-2007, 07:27 PM   #14
Poorboy

I don't know. You guys look at the Scion xa at all. Not quite as cool looking but its almost the same car and it seams like you get way more bang for your buck. Lower the car 2 inches and you have a four door liftback with a tach. Just about the same gas mileage too. I will say this though; when youre looking at hatches you cross off the aveo, versa, focus, and accent right off your list without looking
Old 02-22-2007, 09:14 PM   #15
magoo_lc1

Drives: honda civic hatch
Nissan screwed up the versa bad. It had such potential. I would not own the aveo wither who wants a daewoo? I want a fit but cant see its 3-5000 dollars a better then the yaris. Honestly i know some of you guys like the 5 door. But if thats all we were offered the yaris would be off my llst to.

The influence of peers on individual behavior illustrates the seductive power of conformity

And, I don't mind at all being looked down upon by purists. Indeed I don't mind at all being looked down upon by those whom I do not look up to at
magoo_lc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:25 PM   #16
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Drives: YARIS 3DOOR
xa is dead,replacement is now called xd....
Old 02-23-2007, 02:04 AM   #17
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
First of all, saying the Yaris is bad on gas is proposterous. What are you smoking and where can I get some?

As far as if I'd wait, if you don't have one you don't know what you're missing, so you're good. Wait it out and see what happens.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:08 AM   #18
Razr
YRS WHOR

Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansides View Post
have lost severals engines due to water pump ,radaitor, heater core failure during hot texas heat
The only input I can provide here is that I have been driving the predecessor to what Americans now know as the Yaris sedan (a Toyota Soluna Vios) for two years (it has identical mechanicals to the current Yaris), and that your current Yaris has been on sale here for more than a year already.

I understand that Texas gets hot, but we routinely see 35+c (95+f) nights, and 45+c (113+f) days in the summer (so not terribly cold either) and I've never heard of anyone having a heat related problem with a 1NZ-FE (Yaris/Vios) based car.

Still, there's no excuse for Toyota not including a tacho on US models - cheap bastards!
Razr is offline   Reply With Quote