Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-20-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
AFE intake install

well, I learned a valuable lesson about buying stuff from ebay. the ebay intake was in rough shape and some of the pieces flat out didn't fit.

sucked it up and gave garm some more money. it was worth it as there were instructions and everything, all the pieces were there, all the pieces fit, and it looked good.

I like this one as I don't have to take the bumper off to check the filter (or change it).

the throttle response is better and it has the signature intake sound.

now I just gotta do something with that exhaust....
Old 06-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Another nice thing is that you can reuse the filter down the line if you wish for something else like I did which was for my turbo setup. I really liked having my AFE as well.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:17 AM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Thanks for the review and compliment, BEEF. eBay can be a very uncertain marketplace.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
BEEF

I will say that the ebay purchase was more of a rolling the dice for me. I knew it was iffey (is that a word?) at best. it was really cheap and I guess with a little work and a few extra parts I could have made it work but didn't really like the way it went into the fender well.

I did notice this morning that my intake temps were lower too. I usually run about 10-20 degrees above ambient (F not C). This morning, according to the radio station I listen to, it was 72 degrees and I was seeing 73.4 for my intake. That was significant.

It also is better on take offs. I drive an auto about 80+% of the time so sometimes driving the stick at first is different to say the least. I think with a better exhaust and possibly header, I will be in a pretty good spot power wise.

this is turning into a really fun little car.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Thanks for the review and compliment, BEEF. eBay can be a very uncertain marketplace.
Absolutely true.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
Awesome. Looks great! I saw the eBay specials as well for $140 or something for an AFE but then I read the description and it said no mounting hardware (screws and such) included. Well, that was stupid.

So now I'm waiting on my own AFE intake to arrive from Garm. Hopefully it's here before the weekend!

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
BEEF

there wasn't that much mounting hardware but the price delta there isn't a lot. my ebay special was $45 and the welding on the inside where the MAF sensor was looked horrible. I was honestly worried that if I put it on my motor, some crap would get sucked in and kill my motor. I did think about cutting it up and making a SRI out of it but there again, I didn't want to put that much effort into it.

I liked the kit. very straight forward.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

if·fy   [if-ee] Show IPA
adjective, if·fi·er, if·fi·est. Informal.

1. full of unresolved points or questions: an iffy situation.
2. doubtful; questionable: An early decision on this is iffy.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
BEEF

lol, so it is a word. not just my wonderful southern charm coming out.

the one thing I don't particularly like about this intake....it is showing me that small hp increases are a big deal with this car. this means I really want to do the exhaust. must resist the urge. at least a little while.

eagarly waiting to see what the intake manifold can do as well (either from tooter or from garm)
Old 06-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
JonathanHB2011

Drives: Yaris 2011 1.3L
Hi there. I have yaris 2011 with 1.3L engine and I want to put air intake on it but I can not find which one gonna fit to the car. I search ebay and I found air intake mostly for 1.5L engine. Gettin crazy where to find one. I will appreciate helping me find one for my car.
JonathanHB2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Pretty sure an intake for 1.5L will fit just fine. You should post a picture of your throttle body and stock airbox to make sure.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
Foofutter

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatch
Hey guys. I'm looking to install an AFE intake on my 1.5. Out of curiosity ( I'm new to modding cars, my Yaris is the first car I've ever loved enough to want to mod ), what sort of improvements with I be seeing with an AFE intake in terms of responsiveness and HP gain?

If anyone has any recommendations or advice on where to start tweaking my Yaris definitely hit me up.
Foofutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #13
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
what sort of improvements with I be seeing with an AFE intake in terms of responsiveness and HP gain?
A little bit and a little bit. Mods are cumulative, they add up.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
JonathanHB2011

Drives: Yaris 2011 1.3L
Hi.
I have 2011 yaris HB with 1.3L engine, that air intake you install in your car can be fit to my car with 1.3L engine? Where did you buy for that caz I want to out one also.tnx
JonathanHB2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

answered on your other thread(s)
Old 06-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #16
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofutter View Post
Hey guys. I'm looking to install an AFE intake on my 1.5. Out of curiosity ( I'm new to modding cars, my Yaris is the first car I've ever loved enough to want to mod ), what sort of improvements with I be seeing with an AFE intake in terms of responsiveness and HP gain?

If anyone has any recommendations or advice on where to start tweaking my Yaris definitely hit me up.
yea,lighter wheels/tires, an intake, and a pulley set are a good place to start for more responsiveness and a bit more hp to the ground.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #17
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Man yours came with a tag plate thing? I didn't get one of those in mine, just some stickers that lasted a few months before turning white and falling apart.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:51 AM   #18
ucsmfu

Drives: yaris le
Best mod ever, installed today and immediately noticed power gain and that aggressive growl from underneath the hood :)
ucsmfu is offline   Reply With Quote