Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Tein SS coilovers?

The Tein SS Coilovers are not available in the U.S., correct? I don't see them on Tein USA's Web site.

This might be an obvious question, but if I had a set of these imported into the U.S., would they work on a USDM Yaris liftback?
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
well... I do have a set on mine...

AFAIK there is no difference in suspension between the JDM/Thai Yarii and the USDM, so if you can get your hands on a set, it ought to be fine. If you wanna add EDFC though, you'll need to do a bit of grinding of the metal frame and wiper cowl at the front, but it can be done...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
Thirty-Nine

I was hoping you'd respond! I don't have plans to add the EDFC, but I would like adjustability with the coilover system, so the SS sounds like a good setup. I just wonder how much it'd cost to have a set shipped over to the U.S.?

Last edited by Thirty-Nine; 09-02-2007 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:29 PM   #4
SmallCarGuy
Desperauto's Son...

Drives: '75 Mini, '08 xB2
Cha Ching! Isn't there another option other than the SS's for similar adjust-ability?

I see the EFDC as the only real cool reason to hit up the SS Coilovers, as the headaches and cost otherwise seem prohibitive?

I'd have to think there is something comparable to the SS's (Without EFDC) in the UDSM area...
Old 09-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
Thirty-Nine

Other coilovers with adjustable dampening include Megans, K-sports, and D2s. They're all made in Taiwan if that matters.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:04 PM   #6
SmallCarGuy
Desperauto's Son...

Everything is made somewhere.... LoL.

the K-sports were "ok" on the xB I installed them on... it cornered like a monster... scary difference, but rode like a race car...

I've ridden in tCs with the SS and the Megans and didn't notice anything dramatic outside of the sheer ability to adjust dampening force on the fly, given road conditions... of course by adding the EFDC, which if they are a representation of Tein Quality, I'd pass... (wimpy construction on the motors, SUPER fragile, and a pain to install) Luckily I've heard good things about the SS's despite the EFDC's not being on my happy list.

It'd be Megan or Basic as my picks I guess... Too much work and dollar distribution for the possible benefit in the end over the other available pieces for me.

Heck, it'd be points at NCCA shows for rarity though and maybe, just maybe, a SCCA advantage for auto-x over another c-over setup...
Old 09-02-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
Thirty-Nine

Well, I won't be attending any shows, and I only autcross about five times a year, so the Basics look pretty good to me, since the car is my daily driver.

I have heard mixed things about the Tein Basic quality. I heard, and am not sure it's true, that the Basics are made in Taiwan, but undergo a "quality inspection" in Japan, and are then stamped "Made in Japan" on them. Perhaps it's a rumor. Then again, not everything that's made in Japan is super-high quality.

I can say that I've had Tein springs and liked them on my xB. I've always thought of Megan as a "tier two" manufacturer (or should I say reseller?).
Old 09-02-2007, 08:52 PM   #8
SmallCarGuy
Desperauto's Son...

Yeah, I wonder who "Really" makes the Megan coilovers... I'm "pretty" sure their under-car support bars are the same as the generics sold on ebay...

The response I got from the seller of the similiar looking bars on ebay is that they come from the same supplier for "other" parts manufacturers... LoL... essentially, saying without saying...

It's like when Stoptech sold the rights to their BBKs to TRD, and said, Stoptech no longer carries BBKs for this application, for more info, please see TRD of USA (we all know who really makes them)

I like the Tein stuff too... it's the basics that have me interested at this point... I'd love to play with the ss with efdc, but I'm never serious enough to actually having them as more than a toy though, and don't wish to pay that much for toys that I won't use...

Anyways, If I want to really corner, I just take the out the Mini... and I know Tein has nothing for that...
Old 09-03-2007, 04:36 AM   #9
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallCarGuy View Post
Cha Ching! Isn't there another option other than the SS's for similar adjust-ability?

I see the EFDC as the only real cool reason to hit up the SS Coilovers, as the headaches and cost otherwise seem prohibitive?

I'd have to think there is something comparable to the SS's (Without EFDC) in the UDSM area...
As far as I understand, these are the differences:

Basic Compact: Non-adjustable dampers, no EDFC
Super Compact: Adjustable dampers with EDFC support, same spring rate as Basics
Super Street: Adjustable dampers with EDFC support (and I think the damping range is higher than the Compacts), as well as even stiffer springs.

I still cannot find any actual information on the english version of TEIN japan's site about the SS, so the spring and damper rates is a bit of speculation, and a bit of observation of similar products.

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 09-05-2007, 03:38 PM   #10
Thirty-Nine

Well, I was told by a vendor that Tein (US or Japan) doesn't offer the Super Streets for the current Yaris (NCP91), only the Super Compacts (which aren't EDFC conpatable). I went on www.tein.co.jp and coudln't find an SS application. I'm a bit confused ...

http://www.tein.co.jp/search/search1...=TOYOTA&lang=e
Old 09-07-2007, 11:39 AM   #11
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

I was confused myself, for a long time I thought I had Super Compacts, but the sticker on the struts do confirm they are Super Streets for NCP91 Yaris

When I get back i'll try to get a model number or something for ya, it should help.

As for EDFC it is not officially supported as you need to grind away some metal and part of the wiper cown in front to make them fit, but it can be done.

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 09-07-2007, 11:56 AM   #12
Thirty-Nine

Well, I'll probably be ordering a set of Basics this week. EDFC isn't a big deal for me (cost reasons).
Old 09-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #13
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
ive driven a matrix (back when i had mine) with tein ss coils....the ride was fantasic

i havent heard anything bad about the basics yet.....

i plan on getting ksports w/ custom spring rates......

if youre dead set on basics, email brad at neverenoughauto.com....tell him thebarber sent you....he has better prices on coilovers (teins or ksports) than any of the vendors on this board (from what ive seen)....but seriously, email him