Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
bikegerm

Drives: 2007 Meteor LB
Yaris 24mm Front Sway Bar

Hey gang. Anybody here install the Yaris 24mm Front Sway Bar that Garm sells? If so, how easy is the install. Did you notice any handling difference? If so, in what way? I was thinking this would be a great compliment to my Tanabe front strut brace and TRD rear sway bar. Thoughts?
bikegerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
if you autocross the car i don't recommend the bar, as you'll end up with excessive inside tire spin on any corner exit. if you just want it for street use, it's a good piece.

i have a different steering rack in my car, but i'm pretty sure you'll have to drop your front subframe to get the bar in/out. not a 1 person job.

~joel
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
No one has yet -- but I'm going to, as soon as I'm done drag racing.

There is spirited discussion as to whether the car needs this or not.

My own opinion is that up to the limits of traction it will flatten and improve handling. AT the limit, it will increase understeer, so if you were were racing (or pulling an emergency move) you have to account for that by stiffening the rear even more.

And Joel is right, it's not all that easy to get in there.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
99% of the people on here do not need a bigger front sway bar.

When you have sticky tires and stiff suspension, then you may possibly need it, but it will do more harm than good with an open diff.

Last edited by largeorangefont; 06-09-2009 at 07:04 PM.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post

... you'll have to drop your front subframe to get the bar in/out. not a 1 person job.
+1, after removing my subframe and installing it twice, at the minimum removing the back 4 bolts and letting the subframe hang from the front 2 bolts, even then its still a pain - the front is not as easy as the 5 min installation of the rear sway bar
Old 06-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
+1, after removing my subframe and installing it twice, at the minimum removing the back 4 bolts and letting the subframe hang from the front 2 bolts, even then its still a pain - the front is not as easy as the 5 min installation of the rear sway bar
not to mention the steering shaft falling out..

IMO a bigger front swaybar should be done in conjunction with an LSD. otherwise, skip it.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #7
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
yes, remove steering from the collar inside the car - but also make sure those bolts are very tight when reinstalling, steering clunk is weird!