Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
jdubau55

Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
Hi level input on my amp??

Wondering if I just take the LR rear signals and run that into my hi-level inputs on my amp if that will affect the low-level signal quailty to my sub? Its that or I will have to go buy a converter and run RCA from the HU.
jdubau55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
Razr
YRS WHOR

Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr
If your amp has a high-level (speaker) input (and your head unit doesn't have RCA line-level outs) then definately use it. It will almost certainly work better (less noisy) than using an external high-level (speaker) to low-level (RCA) adaptor.

True line-level all the way (RCA's from your head unit to the amp) will always sound better and have a lower noise floor, if your head unit has RCA out of course..
Razr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Actually external line output converters normally work better than internal high level inputs... at least in my experience.

-Mark
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:56 AM   #4
jdubau55

I am planning on running off the rear L\R speakers into my amp. I would have to add a converter on my HU to get RCA right now at least. Once I add an aftermarket HU I may run RCA's but for now the easiest seems to be just run off the rear speakers.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:50 AM   #5
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp

In this situation and LOC with a REAL line driver right next to the amplifiers will do more than the trick...setup correctly you WILL sound better...wait. I'll keep my little secrets to myself.

Regardless, the LOC and the line driver are a good idea. I'll wait until later this year to prove that to you people. So, in the meantime, go spend hundred or even thousands on your aftemarket head units.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:16 PM   #6
jdubau55

Kept the stock HU. Tapped into the rear speakers and ran them into my hi-level input. Sounds pretty good I think. The way I look out it most RCA outputs put out around 2-3 volts constantly. Tapping off the rear speakers will give you more along the lines of a 5-20 volt signal depending on your HU.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
jdubau55

Well I'm not quite there yet, haha. Maybe some day. I love hearing ways to make your sound better. I spent my lunch break today dialing in my sub. I set my HU to where I normally would have the bass and treble and volume at and adjusted my sub to sound the best with those specs. Instead of having it turned way up and the bass way down. Now if I could just afford those Focal comps and coax's I'd be set.

So the stock HU puts out about 9v RMS? Im guessing around a peak of 15-18V?

After looking at the Symbilink, what do they go for actually? Also, which model would be best for just normal every day usage. I don't plan on doing any comps, but I hate noise in my system.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #8
Razr
YRS WHOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Ours for instance puts out 9 Volts from what I understand
Maybe the stock HU in the US is different to here, because there's no chance the HU in my Yaris would get close to 9V into a high impedance load like a line converter. You guys also must have access to MUCH better line converters than what's available here - the only ones I've seen/used are cheap and nasty..

Clue me in on the good ones!
Old 03-12-2007, 05:12 PM   #9
jdubau55

No idea? All I know is where I had the gains on my amp turned up to about maxed out. Now its prolly more like only 1/3 of the way up and half as much bass boost to boot. It's no competition setup, but for what I want, it does just fine. Once I get some aftermarket speakers in there it should do me great.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #10
Razr
YRS WHOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
If you don't have a Zapco amplifier you'll end up using an unbalanced signal. What do they go for? Depends on where you get it...that's as ambiguous as I can get, I know.

Don't get me wrong, the stock head unit's PEAK signal output is 9 Volts as I undertand it...versus the 2-8 Volts of aftermarket units. 4 Volts being the most common.

Now...ask me what 3:1 gain overlap is.

Anyone else can chime in any time on the benefits of gain overlap. Anyone? Bueller?
Zapco isn't the only amplifier brand with balanced XLR's - the Orion NT100 and NT200 also had this, as did some of the mobile Carver amps - and no doubt a few more than I'm forgetting!

Showing my age yet? :)

As for 3:1 gain overlap, I can only assume you're talking about using a line driver and setting the gains on the amp lower than what the actual voltage would suggest?

Assuming a high quality, ultra-low-noise line driver is being used and has been properly level matched with the source, this would result in a lower noise floor at the output. If your level matching between the source and the line driver hasn't been done right, the result would be the opposite though - potentially masses of noise and terrible dynamic range.

To the OP: all of this takes a well recorded test tone CD, a CRO and a meter tough, so not for the average DIY'r. What would be cool is if more amplifier manufacturers published the voltage output specs like JL Audio does, as it allows DIY'rs to get 95% the way there with just multimeter alone..
Old 03-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #11
jdubau55

Right over my head.....
Old 03-13-2007, 07:20 PM   #12
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I'm hijacking this thread. I've removed my posts about gain overlap and level matching. My apologies.

Jeez Razr! Why are you talking to yourself? LOL! I've got the answer for the quality line drivers that you were asking about.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:57 PM   #13
Razr
YRS WHOR

Heh :)