Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Driver-side mirrors on non-US/CDN car

I'm pretty sure that the law in the US and Canada doesn't allow driver side mirrors with optical effects like on the passenger side, as evidenced by the fact that passenger side mirrors are required to bear the warning about objects in mirror being closer than they appear.

I'm also pretty sure that I've had cars in Europe with driver side mirrors that had less of a dead spot than North American models, at the cost of the contents of the mirror being reduced in size.

The dead spot in the driver side mirror of my Yaris is deader and larger than any other I've had so far, including a full-sized Chevy van. Does anybody know if the mirror on mainland EU models is curved, or flat like in the US? Has anybody tried getting some for use in the US?
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
SilverSquash!
Stage ...Base

Drives: Toyota Yaris LB '07
sup dude, i have the same problem with my mirror. over here we refer to it as the blindspot where you are unable to see a car coming up alongside you. All i can advise is to do what i did. Get some small blindspot mirrors preferably onez that adjust like mine (check my build) and before changing lanes,always look over your shoulder to check for approaching vehicles
SilverSquash! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #3
Kar98

I meant blind spot ;) got my languages mixed up: toter Winkel (dead angle) in German = blind spot in English.

And yeah, I always check.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSquash! View Post
sup dude, i have the same problem with my mirror. over here we refer to it as the blindspot where you are unable to see a car coming up alongside you. All i can advise is to do what i did. Get some small blindspot mirrors preferably onez that adjust like mine (check my build) and before changing lanes,always look over your shoulder to check for approaching vehicles
Please provide the link to your "build". I'm one of those dumb fat Americans that require more info...but interested in what you have to say.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:00 AM   #5
SilverSquash!
Stage ...Base

When i mean adjustable, i mean that they can rotate because the mirror is also angled.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...691#post682691
Old 03-09-2013, 04:27 AM   #6
bairjo

I had one of those..they are junk. Lost all of its ability to reflect in 6 months.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I have a set of aftermarket mirror glass with LED turn signals under them. Both have the optical effect, providing the larger field of view. When I first installed them I thought it might be an issue, but it turns out to help significantly with the blind spot issue.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
SilverSquash!
Stage ...Base

Okay i dont know about losing it's reflectiveness but its keeping me from sideswiping anyone and that's all that matters.

@CTScott: where did you get them and can you please post a pic of them.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSquash! View Post
Okay i dont know about losing it's reflectiveness but its keeping me from sideswiping anyone and that's all that matters.

@CTScott: where did you get them and can you please post a pic of them.
They were a test set that Micro Image imported. The plastic backing part did not fit, so I just transferred the glass over.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
SilverSquash!
Stage ...Base

Ahhaaaaaa...The led turn signals look pretty wicked i must say
Old 03-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
Kar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I have a set of aftermarket mirror glass with LED turn signals under them. Both have the optical effect, providing the larger field of view. When I first installed them I thought it might be an issue, but it turns out to help significantly with the blind spot issue.
Now the question is, where would we go to obtain such non flat driver side mirror glass? Order left hand mirror glass from the UK or South Africa (driver sits on the right)? Or, get left hand mirror glass from countries where they convex, less blind-spotty mirrors are legal?
Old 03-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Now the question is, where would we go to obtain such non flat driver side mirror glass? Order left hand mirror glass from the UK or South Africa (driver sits on the right)? Or, get left hand mirror glass from countries where they convex, less blind-spotty mirrors are legal?

Perhaps Micro Image can import more sets of them. This is what the box looks like that they came in:

Name:  Mirror Box.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  307.2 KB
Old 03-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #13
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
... The dead spot in the driver side mirror of my Yaris is deader and larger than any other I've had so far, including a full-sized Chevy van. Does anybody know if the mirror on mainland EU models is curved, or flat like in the US? Has anybody tried getting some for use in the US?
If your blind spot is that large, you also might want to reconsider how you have your side mirrors aligned. Probably easier and cheaper than sourcing convex driver's side mirrors.

Mine are set up like so:

Name:  blind.png
Views: 174
Size:  93.0 KB
(Closest overheadcar pic I could find that looks like a Yaris...)

My current set up leaves me with a small blind spot that no car can fit into. About the only thing that could be in my blind spot is an anorexic fashion model on a skateboard hanging off one of my tail lights.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
Kar98

The LED mirrors seem excessive ;) I'd totally settle for getting just the replacement glass from a country where convex driver side mirrors are legal and paste it over the existing glass with double sided 3M tape.

And my mirrors are set up like that. There's still the fact that I'm staring at my door post when I'm turning my head to the left ;)
Nice picture though, if slightly incorrect. The right green range needs to be wider and the left one narrower, with the area blocked by the pillars blacked out.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Lean forward...
Old 03-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #16
Kar98

Well, what fun would THAT be?
Old 03-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #17
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
... And my mirrors are set up like that. There's still the fact that I'm staring at my door post when I'm turning my head to the left ;) ...
Well, we can't have the whole side of the car as glass, now can we? The way I have things set up, I can definitely see a car that is in the little blind spot created by the B-pillar that's right over my shoulder.

Quote:
... The right green range needs to be wider and the left one narrower, with the area blocked by the pillars blacked out.
I wasn't going to get that detailed with the width of each side mirror's viewing angle, because well, I don't know exactly how many degrees the viewing angle is for each.

The area blocked out by the C-pillars in the back? That's the red slivers right behind the tail lights...

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #18
Kar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmck03 View Post
Well, we can't have the whole side of the car as glass, now can we?
Ha! See, that's my first modern car, made in the same decade as I bought it, and still on sale in the same generation when I bought it.
And yeah, the Scirocco, the MkI and II VW Golfs, the 1990 Trooper, the E21 BMW, the '82 Renault (just the ones I've own that I can think of right now) ... it _was_ like sitting in cars made out of glass all the way around, with match-thick pillars.