Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
Yarflana

Drives: 2008 Base Model
Installing new struts/shocks/springs...looking for DIY instructions

I already reviewed this, but need to know a little more if possible.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ht=diy+springs

Here is what I am putting on:

Struts/shocks - Tokico reds, front and back
Springs - Eibach Pro kit springs

I guess my main question is what will carry over from the stock struts to the new struts in terms of parts? Dust cover? Bump stop? Anything else?

Also, I heard if you use an offset 19mm x 17mm box wrench, you don't have to remove the wiper assembly.

Thoughts are appreciated. I plan on the install in the next couple weeks.
Yarflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
I've done it successfully. I measured the washers I used with a micrometer to make sure that they were within 0.02" of each other to not screw up my already 0 toe.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
The main part that gets moved over is the strut bearing. dust cover, yes and bump stop

do you have air tools or an impact wrench?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:44 AM   #4
Yarflana

I do have an impact wrench. Where would I need that? After reviewing the install in the link above, I didn't see one used. Will I need to cut the bump stop like he did, or will everything move over without modification?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
The main part that gets moved over is the strut bearing. dust cover, yes and bump stop

do you have air tools or an impact wrench?
Old 02-07-2013, 04:45 AM   #5
Yarflana

You lost me at "washers" and "toe." I know "toe" is part of a measurement of alignment, but I plan to get an alignment after install.

I am primarily concerned with what will carry over from the stock assembly and will it have to be modified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperoni View Post
I've done it successfully. I measured the washers I used with a micrometer to make sure that they were within 0.02" of each other to not screw up my already 0 toe.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:57 AM   #6
Yarflana

Ok, just read this on the MI Forum:
http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...)-Install-Tips

I see what carries over now from the stock setup (assuming coil overs don't come with something the separate strut/spring package I purchased doesn't)...thanks GARM!

Now, the impact wrench part, hmmmmm....I do have a breaker bar and excellent socket tools and a torque wrench.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
I did coilovers so all those parts where included I only needed to keep like nuts and bolts that hold the assembly to the vehicle but all suspension components were otherwise included.

I cut the bump stops when I did stock struts/shocks with lowering springs but the reds I believe already are made ready for shorter springs.

The impact wrench/air tools will be useful in removing the top nut and those holding the shock body to the hub. No hand tools could apply enough force to break either top nut loose and neither of the two bolts on the passenger hub. But I did my suspension at like 65k miles. I had an offset box wrench but like I said I could not apply the force to break the top nuts loose so the cowl had to come off to zap it.

I could do the rears blind, deaf, crippled, and asleep in like 30-45 minutes. They are too easy. Just unassemble everything lay it down and backtrack the order so everything fits back like it should.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
Yarflana

Thanks Phil.

I am thinking I will need the spring compressor after all if I need to use the upper strut components from the stock strut on the new Tokico reds.

I haven't done this before and just don't want to get in there and find out midway I am not prepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5 View Post
I did coilovers so all those parts where included I only needed to keep like nuts and bolts that hold the assembly to the vehicle but all suspension components were otherwise included.

I cut the bump stops when I did stock struts/shocks with lowering springs but the reds I believe already are made ready for shorter springs.

The impact wrench/air tools will be useful in removing the top nut and those holding the shock body to the hub. No hand tools could apply enough force to break either top nut loose and neither of the two bolts on the passenger hub. But I did my suspension at like 65k miles. I had an offset box wrench but like I said I could not apply the force to break the top nuts loose so the cowl had to come off to zap it.

I could do the rears blind, deaf, crippled, and asleep in like 30-45 minutes. They are too easy. Just unassemble everything lay it down and backtrack the order so everything fits back like it should.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
Form>Function

That happened to me lol I had to ride over to home depot

Old 02-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
Yarflana

Great deal...found that Autozone in my neighborhood rents spring compressors for free...just $50 deposit, keep as long as needed, return and get your money back!

These look like they will work.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...questid=445783
Old 02-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
Form>Function

yup thats what I was talking about

Old 02-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #12
yPod09
All black everything.

Drives: '09 5dr All black.
Yep, spring compressor is a must (probably possibly without, but not fun).

I used the offset box wrench and a long handled hex-key, and thus did not have to remove the wiper stuff. Kind of a tough reach in there, but SO much easier I think.

1.5 is right, the back is SOOO easy.

And if you can get your hands on an impact wrench you will be so much happier! I grabbed a cheap one at Harbor Freight that works great. ALSO, WD-40 is your friend on those big bolts/nuts.

Have fun!

p.s. Don't forget before and after pics. You'll want them to compare.
yPod09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
The short arm of a long handled allen wrench, correct.
It needs to be cut to 1/2 its length. To slide under the cowl, and still be able to stick it into the top of the rod.

Spring compressor is advisable to remove the springs from the strut, but can be reinstalled without one. With TRD springs, all I did was push down on the top hat, and had my son thread the nut.

Impact not needed, unless the car is 5 years old from Canada!!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #14
Yarflana

Thanks guys.

Concerning the allen wrench, I was looking at the top area today and noted that the allen wrench short side will have to be a bit stubby to get in that space, but I will figure it out.

I shouldn't need an impact wrench...the car is 4 years old, but with some liquid wrench and my 1/2" drive breaker bar, I should be fine.

I found that the offset wrench for the top nut doesn't have to have a very larger offset and 10 degrees is enough and usually what is provided on most combination (open/closed end) wrenches. I hate using 12 point wrenchs because rounding off crucial nuts is always a chance. I have all 6 point sockets for my socket-wrenches so that is okay.

I was advised to cut the bump stop a little, even though I shouldn't need to for only a 1" drop. I may cut it anyways...just the bottom notch of the 2.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #15
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarflana View Post
Thanks guys.

Concerning the allen wrench, I was looking at the top area today and noted that the allen wrench short side will have to be a bit stubby to get in that space, but I will figure it out.
Read my post prior!!
Old 02-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #16
Yarflana

I need to do a DIY on the strut/shock installation. I read the one I linked to above and it was helpful, but there are a few things I did which would make this possibly easier, especially the tools to use and the fact a torque wrench is a MUST!