Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star
 
natethegreat38's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 LB MT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cali
Posts: 288
Avoiding the A/C

I know it is a pretty simple tactic, but I hadn't really thought of this until the other day: I try not to use the A/C for FE reasons but it gets warm in my car when the sun is shining right in, so I like to pace trucks to stay in the big shadow that they cast. This way I am constantly in the shade! It's a simple yet effective way to eliminate the need for A/C. Just my $0.02
Attached Images
 
__________________
i don't feel like creating another signature, yet. Give it another week...
natethegreat38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
Chupacabra
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 350
Effective as long as you are not concentrating more on staying in the shade than actually driving your car.
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR
 
Malaya1221's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Torrance, Ca
Posts: 1,011
i also remember reading here before the hack that using your A/C is a more efficient way of using ur fuel rather than rolling down ur windows because of the drag!
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください
 
KCALB SIRAY's Avatar
 
Drives: black sand lb
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaya1221 View Post
i also remember reading here before the hack that using your A/C is a more efficient way of using ur fuel rather than rolling down ur windows because of the drag!
All true, plus you do not want to be caught in the blind spot of that big rig. I'd avoid doing this at all cost, no matter how hot you get.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star
 
natethegreat38's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 LB MT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cali
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
All true, plus you do not want to be caught in the blind spot of that big rig. I'd avoid doing this at all cost, no matter how hot you get.
good point about the blind spot (didn't think of that), but I will do it anyhow so long as there is an empty lane on the other side of me. Thanks for the good point though
__________________
i don't feel like creating another signature, yet. Give it another week...
natethegreat38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
rningonfumes
 
rningonfumes's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 865
^ ...in this case, applied to Yaris, voodoo is correct.
__________________
rningonfumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください
 
KCALB SIRAY's Avatar
 
Drives: black sand lb
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,894
how? Wind, weather in general plays a huge part in this. These people he speaks of would have to be in a controlled environment then taken to several locations with different weather conditions. I'd have to disagree here, sorry
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star
 
natethegreat38's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 LB MT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cali
Posts: 288
i've always read (here on YW) that 45 MPH or less: windows cracked to an inch (or whatever is comfortable); 45 MPH or more: A/C, if necessary because too much drag caused by cracked/open windows is less efficient
__________________
i don't feel like creating another signature, yet. Give it another week...
natethegreat38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:31 PM   #9
kargoboy
 
kargoboy's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan/'03 Protege
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 260
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ptions_feature
kargoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #10
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください
 
KCALB SIRAY's Avatar
 
Drives: black sand lb
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,894
I agree with some points in the article, but it still depends on the vehicle in my eyes and conditions. You can't tell me a windy day with 15 to 20 mph winds doesn't play into the cars drag with open windows on an LB yaris vs calm winds out of the southeast at 2 mph. My area, gets hit with crazy winds and I can tell you, without a scan gauge, I've seen the gas get sucked out while having the windows open vs having them open.

EDIT: I guess we can all agree to disagree on this. I just read 4 articles ranging from Car and Driver to Gasbuddy.com. It's 50/50 across the board. Some say yes, some say no.

Last edited by KCALB SIRAY; 11-26-2008 at 03:56 PM.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:10 PM   #11
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star
 
natethegreat38's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 LB MT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cali
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
I agree with some points in the article, but it still depends on the vehicle in my eyes and conditions. You can't tell me a windy day with 15 to 20 mph winds doesn't play into the cars drag with open windows on an LB yaris vs calm winds out of the southeast at 2 mph. My area, gets hit with crazy winds and I can tell you, without a scan gauge, I've seen the gas get sucked out while having the windows open vs having them open.

EDIT: I guess we can all agree to disagree on this. I just read 4 articles ranging from Car and Driver to Gasbuddy.com. It's 50/50 across the board. Some say yes, some say no.
Open windows vs. open windows? That's a tough one...
__________________
i don't feel like creating another signature, yet. Give it another week...
natethegreat38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:12 PM   #12
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください
 
KCALB SIRAY's Avatar
 
Drives: black sand lb
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,894
They all say different with having the AC on or off so the conclusion I think would be to practice other gas saving tips like making sure tires are inflated to the proper psi, things like that. Good luck
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #13
smacky
 
Drives: 2008 Liftback AT
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 14
AC and windows

Before the hack there was some great data collected that showed FE with windows open or AC running at various speeds. It showed across the board that the AC used more fuel than driving with the windows open. Bailout has come to the same conclusions and my experience with the Scangauge corroborates it as well.
It's different for different cars, Mythbusters did a show with some SUVs and they got better FE with AC running. But I'm pretty sure this is due to their bigger engines.
It can get pretty hot here in Utah too, but 100 degrees here is not the same as 100 degrees in the southeast. I can't say what I'd do there, only the best I could.
__________________
smacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #14
kargoboy
 
kargoboy's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan/'03 Protege
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 260
I agree that a lot depends on the type of vehicle and conditions.
My only point was to debunk a myth that is widespread.

As for me personally, I will always prefer open windows to A/C no matter how hot it is
outside.
kargoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #15
PETERPOOP
 
PETERPOOP's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 white liftback
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oahu
Posts: 3,674
lol. screw that! you're in their blindspot. no thanks.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:34 PM   #16
floydisrock
73 Centurion droptop 455
 
floydisrock's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 S Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Posts: 64
I love a/c.
Couldn't care what it costs me to be comfortable.
__________________
"THIS SITE HAS BEEN HACKED BY www.bimmerfest.com. YOU FUCKERS!"
floydisrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:29 PM   #17
*MAD DOG*
 
*MAD DOG*'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 6,412
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by natethegreat38 View Post
I know it is a pretty simple tactic, but I hadn't really thought of this until the other day: I try not to use the A/C for FE reasons but it gets warm in my car when the sun is shining right in, so I like to pace trucks to stay in the big shadow that they cast. This way I am constantly in the shade! It's a simple yet effective way to eliminate the need for A/C. Just my $0.02

I hate to be the first one to break this to you but you are not doing your FE any favours by hiding in the shade of the truck. In that picture the shade is on the right side of the truck.

If you drive on the right side (or the left) of the truck you will get all the wind resistance coming off the front of the truck, this will cause more drag on your car and you'll need to put more strain on the engine to keep at the same speed as the truck, thus using more fuel.

As others have also said it is not safe to drive in a trucks blind spot for any amount of time, let alone deliberately staying there. I applaud you for trying to boost your FE, but trust me, use your air con and live a little.

If you want to enhance your FE skills check out Bailouts thread by clicking here, start by using Basic FE then work your way up.

I hope this helps.
__________________


"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:27 AM   #18
k2vitz
 
k2vitz's Avatar
 
Drives: Vitz 2006
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lahore, Pakistan
Posts: 28
Quote:
I know it is a pretty simple tactic, but I hadn't really thought of this until the other day: I try not to use the A/C for FE reasons but it gets warm in my car when the sun is shining right in, so I like to pace trucks to stay in the big shadow that they cast. This way I am constantly in the shade! It's a simple yet effective way to eliminate the need for A/C. Just my $0.02
Simple tactic but very dangerous. I will put on AC if it is hot than to drive in the shadow of that big rig.
k2vitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY: Unlink A/C from Defroster stran DIY / Maintenance / Service 46 01-19-2015 09:17 PM
Gas mileage and A/C Chaad32 General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 18 01-29-2009 04:31 PM
Help Needed: Unlink A/C to Defroster stran DIY / Maintenance / Service 25 01-09-2009 01:50 PM
A/C & Aftermarket intake KSIbucky DIY / Maintenance / Service 2 03-26-2007 09:08 PM
A/C smelling weird? Yaris_PR General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 11 08-04-2006 08:26 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:16 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.