Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #1
nurburgring
ringmeister

Drives: YARIS 1.5
Track Virgin No more.

Finally. Some track time.

Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres I was running was phenomenal. Extremely good grip in the dry. The Yaris was extremely grippy, but on the track, I wished for coilovers rather than NF210s I'm running. Way too soft. Harder shocks and springs would have made the car corner flatter and more predictably.
The balance of the car was quite neutral, the rear felt very planted, no fears for oversteer at all.

The engine, was pathetic. As expected. Definitely needing more power.

Pictures courtesy of Leong.

nurburgring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Hee! I can see your co-pilot gripping the "oh shit handle" pretty tight must have been a big corner coming up...

So you don't like the NF210's for this purpose? Those are the ones I have been planning to get, but I would be auto-x only, no high speed tracks... also I'm wondering if you have sway bar on there...
Old 06-11-2007, 03:05 PM   #3
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
I think its a pretty well-established fact that lowering springs are mostly aesthetic improvements and less about handling improvements. They don't change the damping rate of the shocks to cope with bumps of higher speed and frequency like a set of coilovers can.

It can get rather choppy in the bends when the car starts hopping sideways over undulations.

The car felt neutral and balanced because you weren't going fast enough, Marc.
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurburgring View Post
The engine, was pathetic.
I know what you mean. Toyota put a 1.5L engine in there when all we really needed was 700-750cc. Our efficiency isn't what it could and should be because of this.

Quote:
Definitely needing more power.
For what? It only takes 1 humanpower to pick up groceries. ;)

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #5
kurokoma-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleong View Post
I think its a pretty well-established fact that lowering springs are mostly aesthetic improvements and less about handling improvements. They don't change the damping rate of the shocks to cope with bumps of higher speed and frequency like a set of coilovers can.

It can get rather choppy in the bends when the car starts hopping sideways over undulations.
I am thinking more about center of gravity... guess I try the NFs, not that expensive, though I know I'm gonna want the coilovers eventually...
Old 06-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
kurokoma-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
...all we really needed was 700-750cc.
Who's "we"?
Old 06-11-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
I know what you mean. Toyota put a 1.5L engine in there when all we really needed was 700-750cc. Our efficiency isn't what it could and should be because of this.

For what? It only takes 1 humanpower to pick up groceries. ;)
Its a pity you can't get the 1 litre Vitz because you might actually get 55 MPG as a hypermiler.

But then again, all we really need is an oxcart to get around. Or better yet, since we've evolved legs and feet, we should all be just walking and running around.

If you're talking about need, a human being needs very little, just air, water, shelter and food. All the rest are wants.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:45 PM   #8
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurokoma-kun View Post
I am thinking more about center of gravity... guess I try the NFs, not that expensive, though I know I'm gonna want the coilovers eventually...
Yes I forgot about that. You will get a lower CG, the lowered springs are stiffer so they'll also resist roll a little better.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:56 PM   #9
Thotprawsis

Drives: '07 Blazin' Blue LB
Quote:
Finally. Some track time.

I wished for coilovers rather than NF210s I'm running. Way too soft.

Want to sell them?

ps
Thotprawsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:19 PM   #10
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurokoma-kun View Post
Hee! I can see your co-pilot gripping the "oh shit handle" pretty tight must have been a big corner coming up...
Look carefully, he's grabbing on to the door/roof frame...... its a sharp corner after the start and finish straight.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:19 PM   #11
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thotprawsis View Post
Want to sell them?

ps
It would be cheaper for you to buy them new, it would cost a bomb to ship it from Asia to where you are.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:31 PM   #12
Thotprawsis

Drives: '07 Blazin' Blue LB
Good point! Well if you are ever in my neighborhood and change your mind...
Thotprawsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:43 PM   #13
driver centric
I know right?

Drives: 07 Bayou LB
Very cool. I've thought about taking mine to a road course just for kicks.

07 Bayou Blue Liftback 5-spd manual
driver centric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:24 PM   #14
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
cool. i want to run on a track...=\
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:35 AM   #15
Safariworld

Drives: Yaris S
Even with a lower centre of gravity, the roadholding would not be so great with just lowering springs. The damping rate of the stock shock absorbers may not match the new springs resulting in choppiness. Still, unless you truly intend to keep adjusting your suspension settings every month or so, coilovers may be overkill due to the high price.

Cleong, SG club running in Pasir Gudang?
Safariworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:54 AM   #16
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Yup, this coming weekend, just trying out our cars (we know that they're slow). But at least it validates some of the mods that have been performed on each car as compared to stock.

Some of us should be there, maybe around 5 or 6 Yaris. A mix of autos and manuals is possible, and there should be a JDM Vitz 1.3 also.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:18 AM   #17
nurburgring
ringmeister

Drives: YARIS 1.5
I beg to differ when cleong says.... springs are only meant for aesthetics.

I love my NF210s on the road. Its supple enough, yet... it gives me alot better handling compared to stock. Turn in improves, car feels so much more direct.

I wouldnt even go near the track with stock suspension. THe NFs are pretty soft, so the stock dampers does an acceptable job calming things down. I love to take the NFs over undulating country roads with real world ridges, bumps and what have you.

However, if you're installing stiff springs on stock dampers, it would feel crappy. I have driven cars which felt like they have no damping because of the springs. CHoppy. Harsh.

On the track however, G forces are consistently high over sustained periods. That is when I felt I needed stiffer dampers and springs. But seriously, how often do I drive on the track ?

You may get 2 second faster lap times for the occasional track session, but I believe it will rattle the shit out of you on a poorly maintained roads. IN fact, you'll probably be so much slower on the road... trying to avoid bumps, manholes, etc etc.
I think the NFs and stock dampers are good for the road, realist
nurburgring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:01 AM   #18
kurokoma-kun

Quote:
I beg to differ when cleong says.... springs are only meant for aesthetics.

I love my NF210s on the road. Its supple enough, yet... it gives me alot better handling compared to stock. Turn in improves, car feels so much more direct.

I wouldnt even go near the track with stock suspension. THe NFs are pretty soft, so the stock dampers does an acceptable job calming things down. I love to take the NFs over undulating country roads with real world ridges, bumps and what have you.

However, if you're installing stiff springs on stock dampers, it would feel crappy. I have driven cars which felt like they have no damping because of the springs. CHoppy. Harsh.

On the track however, G forces are consistently high over sustained periods. That is when I felt I needed stiffer dampers and springs. But seriously, how often do I drive on the track ?

You may get 2 second faster lap times for the occasional track session, but I believe it will rattle the shit out of you on a poorly maintained roads. IN fact, you'll probably be so much slower on the road... trying to avoid bumps, manholes, etc etc.
I think the NFs and stock dampers are good for the road, realist
Thanks for the insight! I am looking for a solution that will feel comfy enough on daily drive in "pothole rich environment" and bumpy back roads, but give me a bit more stability on low speed auto-x maneuvers (mine are pretty low speed anyway ).

Right now I thinking I will replace springs, then shocks, then maybe add rear sway once I see how much more body roll I want to dial out.