Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2009, 02:56 AM   #1
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Wouldn't Have Expected.

Okay, so I Seafoamed my Vios today and did an oil change. Well, when Seafoaming a car, you're suppose to drive it like you stole it. So that what I did. However, before that, you have to rev your engine and idle to let most of the carbon build up out (seen as heavy smoke). So I revved and idled for 15-20 minutes, all the while thinking that my crappy tank (I had a lower mileage after the 2nd bar went off) is just getting crappier. Then I went to go to my place (an hour or so away) to change my oil (Gotta drive around with the Seafoam in). I was accelerating hard, doing jack rabbit starts until I got on the freeway. That's where I kept on flooring it every other minute (or less). I would floor it in 3rd all the way up to around 5k rpm (up to 65 mph). Then I would ease off and let it fall to 55 mph (in 5th), and drive at 55 mph for half a minute. Then I would drop it back to 3rd and repeat the process. I did this all the way back to my place (again, a little more than an hour away from my mom's). Changed my oil, and did some laundry. Then we ate dinner, and started to drive back to my mom's. I decided to fill up once I only had a quarter tank of gas left. Again, I was thinking, man, this has got to be the lowest mpg I'll ever get. So, I calculated my mpg, and got 39.615 mpg!!! I thought I did it wrong, so I recalculated everything again; 375 miles divided by 9.466 gallons (I put in 2.001 gallons prior to Seafoaming since I was already at half tank, so when I filled up just now, I added 7.465 gallons). I just find that crazy.

Anyway, back to the Seafoam. With 42k miles on the odometer, and hypermiling driving habits, I got a ton of carbon build up. I tried to take pics, but it's hard when you have to set the timer on the camera, run to the car and rev it in time before the shutter opens. I'll post some pics in a few. Gotta take care of some things first.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote