Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-21-2022, 02:06 AM   #1
2009ToyYaris

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Exclamation Burning Oil + Coolant = Overheating

Help!!

-Vehicle History-

2009 Toyota Yaris, 235K miles. It has never seen a professional mechanic, I have done all the maintenance myself.

-Coolant-

My one neglect was never checking the coolant until recently ~8k miles ago.
When I did check the level through the hose cap it was near bone dry. So I flushed it and filled it up with the red Toyota coolant. I took about a gallon out, but the car only let me put back in about 3/4 gallon, until the next day I was about to put the rest of the gallon.

-Oil-

Started using regular 5w30 Conventaional oil.
-I have been using Valvoline 5w30 Conventional High Mileage after 100k miles.
-Switched to Valvoline 5w30 Full Synthetic High Mileage at about 215k.
I change the oil and filter every time the maintenance indicator comes on, about 5K. The last three time it has been about a quart low. This last change I switched to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic High Mileage, Because I couldn't find Valvoline in-stock.

-The Overheating Problems-

I was driving to work in the morning about 65 degrees out.
My engine usually is warm by time I hit the freeway. This particular day the engine cold indicator came back on. It was followed but a hot indicator, back to cold, back to hot. I immediately pulled off the freeway and opened the hood to let it cool down. This drive was a total of 4.6 miles

After 20 minutes of cooling down I checked the two fluids. Coolant was empty and the oil was not showing up on the dipstick. Poor engine, I gave it a little bit more than 1/2 a gallon of distilled water(the only amount I had in my car at the time) I'm sure it could have taken more water and a $13 dollar quart of 10w30 full synthetic oil, because they didn't have 5w30 at the gas station.

Drove it home and I had to take a chevy to work how embarrassing lol

Any reasons why It depleted my two fluids, I don't have any leaks under my Yaris. I was thinking of a possible blown head gasket knowing the warm engine turned cold then hot(possibly fluids mixing and sudden temperature change.)
Also the day before I took it to the store (5 miles away) the A/C was not blowing cold, nor was the heater blowing hot. The fan was just putting out room temp. Before this I would drive to work and a total of 25 miles each way with speed upwards of 80miles and the Yaris' engine would perform fine.

Thanks for your time.
2009ToyYaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant levels, oil consumption, overheating