Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
etherdude
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris SE 5-speed
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mass., USA
Posts: 39
thanks for the data...

Tooter, please remind us. How do your fully modded figures compare with "bone stock"?

Thanks, Doug
etherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by etherdude View Post
Tooter, please remind us. How do your fully modded figures compare with "bone stock"?

Thanks, Doug
Here's bone stock dyno runs from the dyno chart sticky thread:



The results.

Stock:

91hp

91tq

Tooter:

111hp

105tq

So with:

Intake
Throttle body
Intake manifold
Header
Axle back exhaust

I have 22% more horsepower, and 15% more torque with the stock ECU, no tuning, and regular 87 octane pump gas. Latest gasoline fillup today: 39.4 mpg.

Total cost: $1,350
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
I'd also add that none of these modifications has altered the basic reliability economy or longevity of the engine. My wife's car is still just a regular daily driver that always needs to be in service.

Now it's just way more fun to drive...
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
etherdude
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris SE 5-speed
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mass., USA
Posts: 39
Impressive results!

Tooter,

I would estimate you have optimized the volumetric efficiency of this particular air pump. A gain of 20 hp at the wheels is awesome. Without changes to cam timing, fuel map, and injectors (meaning access to the ECU), I cannot imagine there is anything left in a naturally aspirated Yaris. Think about it...your at the crank hp is pushing 125+.
etherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by etherdude View Post
Tooter,

I would estimate you have optimized the volumetric efficiency of this particular air pump. A gain of 20 hp at the wheels is awesome. Without changes to cam timing, fuel map, and injectors (meaning access to the ECU), I cannot imagine there is anything left in a naturally aspirated Yaris. Think about it...your at the crank hp is pushing 125+.
I know nothing about the electronics and so chose to leave them totally untouched while focusing solely on the physical aspects.

And the dyno runs tell only part of the story. In normal daily operation nothing was conceded to drivability or to getting excellent gas mileage. I believe this is because I didn't alter the factory electronic engine management and instead turned my attention to the issue of flow.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:07 AM   #6
JustDidIt
 
JustDidIt's Avatar
 
Drives: '08G2T Prius
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post

So with:

Intake
Throttle body
Intake manifold
Header
Axle back exhaust

I have 22% more horsepower, and 15% more torque with the stock ECU, no tuning, and regular 87 octane pump gas. Latest gasoline fillup today: 39.4 mpg.

Total cost: $1,350
That's impressive considering you haven't modified any electronics and let the stock ECU make any corrections.

Tooter, I really plan on coming up in the next 2 wks or so. I'd like to meet up and talk with you about my ideas for my 1NZ-FXE. It includes a few items like the ones below...




Last edited by JustDidIt; 08-19-2013 at 02:29 AM.
JustDidIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:46 AM   #7
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDidIt View Post
That's impressive considering you haven't modified any electronics and let the stock ECU make any corrections.

Tooter, I really plan on coming up in the next 2 wks or so. I'd like to meet up and talk with you about my ideas for my 1NZ-FXE. It includes a few items like the ones below...



Sounds like fun!

PM me in advance before you come so that I can set some time aside from work, and we can explore the possibilities. Oh oh, stainless. That's a lot harder to work with than aluminum. But it's still buildable material.

Greg
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
homemade intake manifold ttr125fan09 Performance Modifications 1 02-17-2012 01:09 AM
Custom Intake Manifold + Direct Port Nitrous blacksandiegovitz Performance Modifications 9 04-21-2010 07:05 PM
Turbo Manifold thread Sabretooth Forced Induction Forum 78 05-22-2009 06:52 AM
turbo manifold build... joey1320 Forced Induction Forum 4 06-30-2007 02:26 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:41 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.