Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-09-2008, 12:08 AM   #19
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypierre View Post
*shrugs* just trying to help nevermind then
I had edited my post btw.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:43 AM   #20
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
1 reason ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
Why would you spend more on oil? Esp on a teeny weeny engine like our 1NZ?
it works harder . Especially on interstate , steep hills , etc..
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:51 AM   #21
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
plus the comfort of knowing it's synthetic . SECURITY BLANKET for you and your YARIS (es) . Sleep well baby YARIS .

Last edited by gid; 12-09-2008 at 01:02 AM.
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:20 AM   #22
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Bearing load tests done shows it protects better then conventional, but there are all kinds of threads on here for oil.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:52 AM   #23
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
i heard the yaris comes with syn in it....
Old 12-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #24
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
I got 8 free toyota dealer oil changes with the purchase of my car. On my 3rd oil change (13,700 miles) I asked how much it would cost to upgrade to synth...they said something like $40... I asked If I could bring my own 5w30 oil... and they said it was fine. Next day I returned with my 5quart mobil1 synth I got from walmart for something around $20-22. for my oil change at 18k miles I couldn't find a 5 quart jug of mobil so I went with castrol synth.

If I didn't have those free oil changes... I would be doing this all myself... but.. why bother... they do it quicker than I can... no set up or clean up time for them. And I've never had to wait in line at their place either. I love small suburbs.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #25
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I really hope all you guys that are rocking top-tier oil in your cars don't go out and buy bottom-tier crap-o gasoline. That always cracks me up... Mobil One + Costco. LOL
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #26
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
I really hope all you guys that are rocking top-tier oil in your cars don't go out and buy bottom-tier crap-o gasoline. That always cracks me up... Mobil One + Costco. LOL
This is subjective according to your location. Costco gas gets the same gas as all the local Chevrons in my area.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:02 PM   #27
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I figure this: Every 5,000 miles it costs me about $15 more to do a synthetic oil change. To me, spending the extra money is worth it. That's just my "dos centavos," though.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #28
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
My Yaris came with and at the dealership when I had them change it their Toyota bulk oil was Valvoline Durablend. I always run Marathon gas in mine and about every other fill up I put in a can of Seafoam.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:36 PM   #29
65tuxedo
Tuxedo

Drives: 08 Yaris hatchback
My dealer charges quite a bit for synthetic, but the service manager told me to bring my own oil next time, they don't care.
65tuxedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:24 PM   #30
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyGiant View Post
i heard the yaris comes with syn in it....
It dosen't.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #31
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
the dealer does Castrol GTX in Canada.. and Mobile1 for synthetic.

I actually do go in the garage to look at what they are doing.. and speak with the mechanics if the one doing the oil change is experienced. but... i do my own oil change anyways...
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #32
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
plus the comfort of knowing it's synthetic . SECURITY BLANKET for you and your YARIS (es) . Sleep well baby YARIS .
I just made the switch on Sis car to MOTUL 8100 SYN ACEA A5/B5 (their cheapest stuff) and the car runs noticably better than the M5000 I was breaking it in on. Smoother more stable idle and no noticable performance loss during warmup of the oil ( 15deg F to 195+). Car is less buzzy on the interstate at 60-70mph and the apparent midrange torque is improved (you call "butt dyno"). Cant prove it but like it. This is PAO base so not as good as MOTUL 8100 E-Tech or 300V. PAO syn is Good for winter, polyol esters for (or DI-A ester) for race or hard summer use..
_
_
#1 benefit - of REAL syn? Near zero (-0-) varnish behind piston and in chain tensioner area
Biggest zone for performance issues on modern tight tolerance engines.

Second benefit is more shear stability around the piston - so less gum higher balanced compression, less chance of stuck ring and consistent piston-will lubrication day in and out. Tear a few hundred motors down in your carreer and you will see what I mean ....

Little means HARD WORKING: Any high-specific output engine needs TLC ( yaris makes over 1-HP per Cu/In so it is POWERFUL for a1-Atmospheric engine If it was sized up to a 6.2L Chevy V8 it would be like 450HP!!

- Sonjas Bro

MOTUL is famous for their Lemans 20 -60 Race oil ( and NO dont put it in your yaris) I don not work for them
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:54 PM   #33
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
I have not been impressed with ANY commonly available OTC oil in API SJ/SL/SM. I had a good application for M1 tri-syn formula YEARS ago and the oil performed well in a HSO Mitsubisho 1.5L 4 cyl. But now we hear NO commonly available oil is 100% GTO or vegetable syn base, just H-R mineral oils. M1-EP should be 100% non-mineral base.
- I am liking the MOTUL. No complaints on oil NOW.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #34
metalshark
MetalShark

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Stock oil=>Mobil-1=>Amsoil 5w-20

When I had the dealer install synthetic at 10K miles they charged an extra $40 and they used Mobil-1 from quart bottles. At first the motor was slightly noisier afterward but quieted down quickly. The mileage with stock Toyota 5w-30 and Mobil-1 5w-20 was identical. (no surprise there) I didn't develop any leaks after the dealer installed synthetic (warranty issue) so at 15K I did the change myself with a stock filter and Amsoil 5w-20. My mileage went up and I still have no leaks. Looks like the stock seals don't care about synthetic. Once again I got a little more engine noise after the change but it quieted back down in about a week. I'm going to look into the Motul products but with 43 city/39 highway I'm doing well considering the winter temps and ethanoled gasoline. For calculating mileage I still wish I could buy imperial gallons for the same price. When the canucks report fabulous mileage I always wonder about that little detail. Yes, I hyper-mile.
Absolutely red, Drawtite hitch, CAI, Insulated Header, Amsoil 5w-30, Mag-drain plug, Red-Line MT-90 tranny oil, Scotch-Guard, Window Tint, Dash rug, Custom short throw shifter, Lowered OEM arm rest, Super-Turbo muffler/w chrome slash cut tip., TRD rear sway bar, sticky pads, front shock tower bar, RS grill badge, VVT-i emblems, Second tire set from Tirerack.com, DISABLED DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS, platform- style locking custom bike rack. 86K miles so far. 5 years use now on ceramic wrapped insulated stainless-steel header.
metalshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #35
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
I just made the switch on Sis car to MOTUL 8100 SYN ACEA A5/B5 (their cheapest stuff) and the car runs noticably better than the M5000 I was breaking it in on.
Don't know much about Motul, but the Amsoil HP also has the ACEA A5/B5 rating, without the API approval. I don't want to hear any excuses from the service department, when and if I ever have any warranty issues, so I'm thinking about switching out the Amsoil HP and going with LubroMoly 5w-30, next oil change (ACEA A3/B4/C3, I think...and API certified) Maybe not as good as Amsoil HP, but better than Amsoil XL, plus I'm already using their product in my transaxle. What I like about LubroMoly is that I can get it with next day free shipping.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote