Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-14-2008, 01:29 AM   #1
AznGouki
Metsu

Drives: NCP91 ; E36
Frozen/Laggy Clutch

Well in Calgary it's getting cold. Like -27 degrees C cold. It's nowhere near what I would consider the coldest for the year, which is what has me worried. The clutch pedal has become heavy and upon release, it lingers behind. Right now it isn't terrible but if it get's colder and it get's worst, I fear the clutch just siezing up.
Any of you guys experiencing winter have this problem? maybe if this is normal I can just adjust to it. But if I have like the wrong level of fluid and it is prone to freeze the line, I'm gonna want to do something before it gets colder.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2008, 01:34 AM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I didn't know cars even worked in -27 degrees.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:35 AM   #3
Rich k

Drives: 07 3dr white Yaris 5spd stock
Send a message via AIM to Rich k
hrm, its never been that cold here that i know of though so far i haven't had any problems like that. Definately check with the dealer or call toyota canada and ask, no sence driving with it like that if you don't know if its could cause damage. Good luck, hope it just needs different lubrication or something. LOL at -27 degrees i'm not sure i would be fast enough to notice anything lag.
Rich k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:38 AM   #4
tuckevalastin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
at -16.6 degrees fahrenheit I'd imagine you'd start noticing unusual things about the car
tuckevalastin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

Drives: 2007 Polar White LB
Send a message via MSN to SIPNGAS Send a message via Yahoo to SIPNGAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
That's C not F...

We had a spell of some below weather last winter and I did notice a little lag, but I think it just requires a bit more warm up time. I was happy the car never failed to start, no matter what the temp. THAT rocked.

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
SIPNGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:44 PM   #6
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
its the liquid in the hydrolic clutch being cold....should go away once you reach operating temps

i imagine the shifter/transmission is a bit stiffer too....transmission fluid is cold cold

i got that on my yaris last winter when it was below -20 and i got that on my XRS the year before that

id let the car run for 5min or so and pump the clutch a few times in neutral to get the fluids moving around...

but it IS normal when its that cold
Old 12-14-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
AznGouki
Metsu

Good to hear it's normal. I'll start putting my auto start to use, but so far, even when the engine is fully warmed, my clutch stayed the same. As long as our lines are strong enough, I really don't mind and can just adjust my driving style.
I think shifting may have gotten stiffer too, but I have a ssk installed so it's always pretty tough lol. I know the brake pedal stiffened. But I like that feel haha.
I think once a warm period hits I'll get the brake fluid changed to a cold weather one.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:02 PM   #8
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznGouki View Post
Good to hear it's normal. I'll start putting my auto start to use, but so far, even when the engine is fully warmed, my clutch stayed the same. As long as our lines are strong enough, I really don't mind and can just adjust my driving style.
I think shifting may have gotten stiffer too, but I have a ssk installed so it's always pretty tough lol. I know the brake pedal stiffened. But I like that feel haha.
I think once a warm period hits I'll get the brake fluid changed to a cold weather one.
well, from what i see from the weather network channel, you guys are in a deep freeze out there right now....like -42C w/ windchill.....

the first year i had my matrix i went up to northern ontario for new years (near timmins), it was -29C the day i left and the car wouldnt even turn over in the morning because the oil was so thick. now that i live out east, i made sure i had a block heater thrown in w/ my yaris purchase (among other things ;) )
Old 12-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #9
AznGouki
Metsu

Yea...I just walked over to futureshop just to look at some things and it's like a 8 minute walk and my face like died. I think I better pack an extension cord to work with me.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #10
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonono View Post
Might also want to switch to a high quality synthetic gear oil, and let it warm up a long time, all the while gently pushing the clutch in and out.
i dont think switching to a synthetic gear oil is going to make THAT much of a difference.....i ran synthetic transmission oil in the matrix and it didnt matter....was still stiff at those temps

i wouldnt be workin the clutch ALL the time while the car is warming up either....your left leg would get HUGE, lol
Old 12-15-2008, 07:42 PM   #11
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
With the old beetle you could drill a hole in the transmission near the release bearing. Then you could spray the bearing and input shaft of the transmission with lubricant.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #12
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
dude.. he's talking Celsius.. thats not that cold. 0C = 32F.

I know my yaris ran fine down to 0F temps last year. I don't remember then thinking the clutch felt or sounded wierd in the cold. BUT! I have noticed it this year, and It seems when its less than 40F outside the clutch and gears in the car are a bit chunky... The best I can describe it is like rolling an octagon shaped wheel. It only feels like that for a minute however. Once i've made about 3 or 4 shifts, it seems to warm up and be fine.

I no longer live in a cold area tho.. so today being in the mid 20's (F) is probably about as cold as I will see this winter.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #13
alhope34
Spool'd

Drives: 07 yaris, 16 gen coupe rspec
Fluid gets thicker hence a stiffer clutch. Happens to my MS3, too. Last winter was -40 one of the times I started my car up visiting my fiance in north-eastern Quebec. Redline synthetic transmission fluid gets VERY thick. Had to let the car idle 15 minutes before I could even get it into gear.
alhope34 is offline   Reply With Quote