Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
You REALLY won't see this too often

Philippe Jaroussky is a classically trained singer from France. I don't know if he has a hormone problem or is gifted but he can sing close to the "castrati" range. Once upon a time gifted singers were neutered before they reached puberty, causing them to develop a voice that had a boy's range but a man's volume. Such singers were considered musical superstars.
Perhaps the Baroque era just came and went too early?

In any case, singing a resurrected Vivaldi Aria (yes, he wrote lots of Opera, a lot of it still not recorded) here is a show on French TV featuring Phillippe Jaroussky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zQX2XqAE8c

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
GeneW
Banned

BBC Article - how to make a Castrati...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4853432.stm

The things that some people do for Stardom...

Gene
Old 02-14-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Finally, someone with a cultural interest. I am SO tired of turning on the radio and hearing nothing but amplified guitars accompanied by someone building a garage.... oh, sorry, that's the drummer...

I love hassling some kid who says, "man that's an awesome song' by asking him (or her) to hum me a few bars. It usually ends up in some bad language (from the kid) and some laughter (from me). Mean, huh?

Listening to some Rachmaninov (sp?) at the moment, early 20th century, very nice to drive to.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:04 PM   #4
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Richard Wagner, my favorite composer
Old 02-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Der Flug der Walküren
Old 02-15-2009, 01:37 AM   #6
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
I listen to the PBS (National public radio) JUST for the Classical music... relaxing really...
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:53 AM   #7
GeneW
Banned

Rachmaninoff, Wagner, "Classical Music".... you crazy kids and your modern music. If it isn't Baroque, fix it! :)

Ton Koopman, Adagio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OocLZgmIR0

Nice duet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgqrKFT7u0U

Brandenburg Concerto IV Adagio (very deep piece, the Recorder is associated with funerals).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s20qUN39OyI

Alternate arrangement (by Bach) audio only. You may have to listen to both for a while but there is an "extra voice" in the fugue. Bach was legendary for adding extra voices during performances, something that he encouraged his students to do, in fact trained them to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Kkr3rrkpI

A little night at the Opera....

This is a great piece

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMZhWpg9OsM

Sometimes I too listen to Classical radio. However they "jump around" like a jumping bean - from Renaissance to Baroque to Classical to Modern.

Gene
Old 02-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Sometimes I too listen to Classical radio. However they "jump around" like a jumping bean - from Renaissance to Baroque to Classical to Modern.

Gene
true but when the older stuff comes on 200-500 years old...thats when it gets good...
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
DFA
Compulsive Washer

Drives: 08' AT Meteorite Metallic LB
Send a message via MSN to DFA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
Der Flug der Walküren
Heeeey, I played that for an audition last thursday!

DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
DFA
Compulsive Washer

Drives: 08' AT Meteorite Metallic LB
Send a message via MSN to DFA
Why is heavy modern music looked down upon, to the extent of calling it's listeners culturally uninterested?
I love metal music and I pretty much grew up listening to it. I also grew up listening to classical music and I'm currently a (non-professional) musician.

I love Tool, yet Gustav Mahler's awesomeness makes my privates tingle. Am I some sort of musical hypocrite?

edit: I just read this finished post and I want to make clear that I'm not trying to start a fight, it's just something that really ticked off my curiosity.

DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #11
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA View Post
Why is heavy modern music looked down upon, to the extent of calling it's listeners culturally uninterested?
I love metal music and I pretty much grew up listening to it. I also grew up listening to classical music and I'm currently a (non-professional) musician.

I love Tool, yet Gustav Mahler's awesomeness makes my privates tingle. Am I some sort of musical hypocrite?

edit: I just read this finished post and I want to make clear that I'm not trying to start a fight, it's just something that really ticked off my curiosity.
I feel you on this one.. Playing piano for 10 years and listening to metal will do that to ya :D

I think people who cast aside whole genres of music are either just trying to seem cultured, or have no idea what music is..

Until you can hear the beauty in classical, metal, jazz, country, rap, techno, blues, rock, punk, folk, tribal - you are just listening to what you heard on the radio, or at your friends house, or in your moms car as a kid.

Anyways, with that said,

Tchaikovsky > Herman Li > Vivaldi (vivaldi is still pretty good though :D)
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #12
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA View Post
Used to be an old Roman expression - "In matters of taste there is no dispute".

Maybe it's the amount of time and talent that a lot of "heavy" modern music takes to play? Some rock and roll is very difficult musically, while other stuff is more theatrics, makeup or gimmicks. You can hear it in the performance.

The band, "Tool", for example, has a lot of talent. Their drummer is taking music lessons for the Tablas. A guy who is established who still wants to grow musically gets a lot of respect from me.

"Mudvane", probably a lot less talent and more showmanship. Their stuff isn't bad but it's not as good to me as Tool. KISS is another good example of showmanship. Even kids with limited musical training can play a KISS song.

Music means many things to many people. To some it's a form of craftsmanship, and they want it to be of "good quality" or to show talent. Sad to say, some heavy metal is not as much talent as technique (limited kinds of talent) or showmanship.

Gene
Old 02-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #13
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Until you can hear the beauty in classical, metal, jazz, country, rap, techno, blues, rock, punk, folk, tribal - you are just listening to what you heard on the radio, or at your friends house, or in your moms car as a kid.
Takes time and effort to learn the inner language of any art form.

There is also the cultural aspect. A good friend of mine sneers at "Rock and Rollers", "Headbangers" and "drug addled rock 'n roll listening perverts" yet he tunes into Country Music stations that offer rehashes of 60s Rock 'n Roll. We agree to disagree about music....

Listen to the Monkees's "Stepping Stone" and Aaren Tippin's "Working Man's PhD". They're very close.

Gene