Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2006, 10:35 PM   #6
twocvforme
 
Drives: Yaris Liftback ...Silver
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NH
Posts: 23
EXAMPLE OF TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS FROM OTHER FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




#1 1 Week Ago
Rat
Junior Member Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2

Yaris Transmission friction point

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a 2007 manual Yaris about 3 weeks ago. I drove about 15 brand new cars in my life time. Most of them Japanese, and manual.

My first impresson of the Yaris manual transmission was that the friction point when you're starting from a dead stop is not so good. The car starts shaking when your reach the friction point, if the RPM is too low and if its the RPM is fine, it's not easy to get a smooth start. Often the motor will choke if the RPM is too low. I never had that much trouble starting with any other manual transmission.

Usually for most cars, the friction point is smooth and long, but with the Yaris it's short and quick.

So, when I start in a hill, I either choke or make the wheels spin because I gave too much gas.
I can't seem to adjust to it. So what I do is I don't make a dead stop, so it stats much easier on 1st, and very smoothly.

In the other gears it's fine.

Another thing that I noticed, is that with my 2006 automatic Corolla, when I go at 100km/h, the RPM is 2200, while with the Yaris, it's 2800 RPM. With the Yaris, the motor revs at 3000 RPM at 108 km/h, which i find fast.

So, the Corolla is more economical at highway speeds, while the Yaris is a little cheaper to run in the city.

I'm slightly deceived with the fast RPM of the yaris. Also when I shift from 4th to 5th gear, I don't see much of a difference. They could have made the 5th gear better for higher speeds, so that the motor wouldn't rev as fast.

I go down only 400 RPM at highway speeds when I shift from 4th to 5th gear. It should have bee more like 700 or 800 RPM...

Another thing that I noticed that is annoying, not only on this Yaris, but the Yaris I tried at the garage before buying this one, is that when you change gear, lets say from 1st to 2nd, although you let go the gas pedal to shift gears, the RPM goes UP for a second AFTER you let go the gas pedal, instead of dying down immediately. It does this also when you change gears from 2nd to 3rd, and from 3rd to 4th. Maybe it's to burn the remaining gas better, but It's really annoying.

If it wasn't for these flaws, it would be a great car.

Bottom line, it's worth the 1,300$ more to get a Corolla.
twocvforme is offline   Reply With Quote
 


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Manual shifter Mod.... hoahmaru Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior) 28 04-07-2014 05:05 PM
Manual Yaris performance info? SimmZ General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 22 10-27-2009 09:27 AM
Is the 2006 Yaris Manual stick leather wrapped or not? hoahmaru General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 21 10-30-2008 08:14 AM
Detailed dealer pricing on the new, 2007 Toyota Yaris. tomjasz New YARIS Purchase Forum 3 08-11-2006 10:46 PM
transmission swap kralmrax DIY / Maintenance / Service 5 07-22-2006 01:04 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:23 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.