Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-02-2007, 09:59 PM   #19
jmjonesey

Drives: Red 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to jmjonesey
Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
I agree with the 3600 at 70 in the MR2.....but with the dubzzz on the Yaris did you recalibrate your speedometer to account for the larger diameter tires, calculate from the ratio of the diameter difference, or just guessing about your speed?
cuz everyone knows deuce-deuces fit on our cars....

Should just get those tires that are no thicker than pencil erasers to make up for the larger rim size !!!

*ducks
jmjonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #20
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco View Post
I bet your rpm is alot higher then its supposed to be,in 1st 2nd and 3rd,untill you get up to speed,this is where the weight of the rim bennifits your car,more rotating mass thats already spinning,this gives the car a high forward momentum,which helps ease engine load,the faster your going the better(for this effect,be safe ofcourse).But check your rpm going uphill
Well the rpm is going to be a bit lower for the same speed across the board, but it does take more effort to get goin.

I've noticed that my MPG figures remain the same (31-33) whether i'm going 80+ or cruising 55... before cruising 55 would get me 35-36mpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
I agree with the 3600 at 70 in the MR2.....but with the dubzzz on the Yaris did you recalibrate your speedometer to account for the larger diameter tires, calculate from the ratio of the diameter difference, or just guessing about your speed?
Going off the post here that noted there is a 6% difference, its just an educated guess :)
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:44 AM   #21
littlenaches

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Send a message via Yahoo to littlenaches
I filled up today @ 3.47 p/gallon Yikes! I had only gone 192 miles and it took 5.4 gallons. That's 35.6 MPG. That was 192 miles at speeds around 65-70 and a little bit of city less than 25 of the 192. I'm running 17 inch lightweight wheels with 215/40/17 tires. Does this sound normal or should I be getting better. Anybody know anything about the $8 dollar performache chip on ebay to get more horsepower and better fuel economy. The chip is getting good user feedbacks on ebay and is not supposed to void your warranty or harm your engine at all. Your thoughts please!!
littlenaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:46 AM   #22
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlenaches View Post
Anybody know anything about the $8 dollar performache chip on ebay to get more horsepower and better fuel economy. The chip is getting good user feedbacks on ebay and is not supposed to void your warranty or harm your engine at all. Your thoughts please!!

Think Hasher had fun with one of these a while back.... If I remember correctly it ended up meeting a hammer of sorts
Old 05-10-2007, 02:17 AM   #23
mutatio

Drives: Flint Mica AT Sedan
no scangauge here but it usually looks like 2800-2900 @ 70 for me.
mutatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:58 AM   #24
grampi

Drives: Corolla
I guess Highway RPMs is somewhat of a concern to me as it directly effects two things; fuel economy and engine longevity.

Before I became interested in the Yaris I was considering a Scion tC. While I love almost every aspect of the tC, it's geared extremely low. So low in fact, it turns 500-700 RPMs higher than does my Corolla in the same gear at a given speed. This wouldn't be that big of an issue to me if 95% of my driving wasn't spent on the highway.....but it is. After doing some research on the tC, I was finding out it only gets high 20s to low 30s MPG. Since I put roughly 3000 miles a month on my car, and the fact that the price of gas is just going to keep going up, that doesn't cut it. While Toyota builds some of the most durable engines in the world, I can't see the 2.4 liter tC engine lasting 200K-300K miles when it has to turn 3500-4000 RPM at highway speeds. That's a lot of mass having to spin so fast.

The Yaris seems to be geared more in line for my needs. Turning 3000-3500 RPMs for a 1.5 liter engine is right about where an engine of this size should be at highway speeds. I can easily see the Yaris engine lasting 200K-300K miles with normal care. It also seems to have the potential to achieve mileage figures of more than 40 MPG (depending on driving style), which is something the tC will never achieve.

I realize the tC is probably more of a sports car than is the Yaris, but the Yaris is sporty simply by virtue of its small size and light weight. And while the tC has a more classic sports car look, there's something about the Yaris LB's look that has this intregue I can't explain. To me, it's quite attractive.

At any rate, because I drive so much, I need a car that's as good on gas as possible, that'll last 200K-300K miles, and is comfortable enough for me to be able to spend 5 in hours at a time. I'm hoping the Yaris LB will meet these requirements.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:06 AM   #25
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
At any rate, because I drive so much, I need a car that's as good on gas as possible, that'll last 200K-300K miles, and is comfortable enough for me to be able to spend 5 in hours at a time. I'm hoping the Yaris LB will meet these requirements.
I think most of us here can say our cars fit those requirements almost perfectly.

The only discomfort that quite a few people are reporting is the position of the steering wheel, which is not telescopic, it can get tiring after a while because it is too far forward and you either have to sit very straight, or have your knees bent a lot. There are some people working on a steering wheel extension to remedy this, though, so all hope is not lost

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:38 AM   #26
grampi

Drives: Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
I think most of us here can say our cars fit those requirements almost perfectly.

The only discomfort that quite a few people are reporting is the position of the steering wheel, which is not telescopic, it can get tiring after a while because it is too far forward and you either have to sit very straight, or have your knees bent a lot. There are some people working on a steering wheel extension to remedy this, though, so all hope is not lost
That might work out well for me since I have the arm length of an orangutan!
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #27
Tonavi

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Is my AutoMeter tach off or what?

It says I'm doing 2800 @ 60 mph, 3150 @ 70, and 3600 @ 80.

I ordered a ScanGauge about 2 hours ago so we'll see what that says.
Tonavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #28
highwaypass
Captain Slow

Drives: '08 1.5 hatchback
70mph=112 kph
around 3100rpm
highwaypass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #29
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypass View Post
70mph=112 kph
around 3100rpm
can't really compare our cars to the US ones, we have shorter gearboxes...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote