Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
Now that more people are boosted...

What have we learned? How many PSI can you safely go to before fuel system modifications are required? with 4 to 5 pounds of boost, will it throw a check engine light?

So, how has our little 1.5l handled boost so far? has anyone had catastrophic engine failures?

I am building a datsun 510 this summer, but next summer my yaris will be out of warranty, and I am considering adding a small amount of boost from a intercooled turbo set up. So, this winter I might start planning for a small amount of boost (3psi-5psi), depending on what everyone says.

thanks in advance for the answers!
Old 06-19-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
I'm running 8 pounds of boost w/ blitz s/c kit. No check engine light/no problems.

battleversiontc mocked up his own turbo kit. Noone has seen it yet and he has no pics (besides a pic of a motor on the floor), and he was pushing 20 pounds of boost I believe. But he only went up to 15 on his dyno pulls. He dyno'd it and had 300whp (but no pics of dyno sheets). I don't know if it was stock internals or not.

"1st run 247 hp 243 tq 8psi
2nd run 279 hp 269 tq 12 psi
3rd run 300 hp 277 tq 15 psi
was going to run it higher on the boost but was running to hot already so scrapped the idea and left it"

PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
one Yaris supposedly blew up on the dyno (Holdener's), but it's vague what actually happened.

I ran mine at 8 psi for a good 9-10 months, no management, no loss of compression resulting as far as testing is concerned.

I think Tamago ran 9-10 psi on his xA "ghetto fabuloso", also with no damage to his motor.

No one is going to say with certainty that the car can handle custom forced induction without a loss of longevity and possible major failure -- especially without managing at least the fuel in some way.

More people will have to experiment before there is enough data to say where the "limit" is.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

there is no way the stock motor will handle 20 psi. period.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
how many times will this question be raised in the FI forum?

OP if you have any questions, feel free to ask me. i know exactly what NOT to do (tried everything the hard way :( )
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
how many times will this question be raised in the FI forum?
More times.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
well, its not just one question, its several. I wanted confirmed reports of people running over 6psi with no problems, so that I would know if I would need fuel management with 4-5 pounds.

i am sure i will loose some longevity by running boost, there is no escaping that, but...something to keep in mind...my yaris is almost 3 years old, and it currently just now hit the 12,000 mile mark... that should give everyone an idea of how much I drive it...even if the turbo cuts the life of the motor from 200k miles to 100k miles....it will be a LONG time before I will have to worry about it.

so, thanks to the responses so far, and if anyone has any thoughts on my plan of a low boost intercooled turbo set up on a mostly stock motor and no fuel mods, let me know what you think!
Old 06-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #8
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Here's a thread that Yoda made a little while ago..

http://yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17681
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #9
The Spectacle

Drives: 08 BSP LB
I'm going to steer clear of this thread. ;)
Old 06-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
turboecho2005

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
It really all depends on how its tuned.

I run 11.1:1 compression pistons with 8.5psi all day long with no problem. should be turned up to 12-14psi with some meth injection. i'll have to update my thread one day...

ANY motor will take 4-5psi without modifications...

1987 Nissan Maxima - 40,000 original miles - Slammed
1991 Isuzu Impulse RS AWD Turbo - approx 250hp - Winter Beater
1989 Isuzu Imark RS - Mint Condition - 0 rust - 100% factory :) - Summer Cruiser - 100% restored
1986 VW Jetta Wolfsburg - 120,000km - Mint condition. TDI swap in progress
turboecho2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:54 PM   #11
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
So directed toward cali/tamago. How shitty did your motors run with low boost/no management? I'm assuming you both had CEL's
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #12
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXDEMON View Post
So directed toward cali/tamago. How shitty did your motors run with low boost/no management? I'm assuming you both had CEL's
i had management.. talk to Garm lol
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #13
Keith Tinari
Scrubble with a poke.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
What about nitrous? has anyone really experimented with it? My father thinks it would be funny to give it a shot and see what happens just because the other kits SC/Turbo are sooooo expensive. I really have no intentions of doing it but I am curious.

My brother has a SC cobalt SS and was running 20+psi with a 50 shot and held up pretty well to my 21psi with a large 16g WRX. But I also dont know much about SC or Nitrous.
Keith Tinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #14
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tinari View Post
What about nitrous? has anyone really experimented with it? My father thinks it would be funny to give it a shot and see what happens just because the other kits SC/Turbo are sooooo expensive. I really have no intentions of doing it but I am curious.

My brother has a SC cobalt SS and was running 20+psi with a 50 shot and held up pretty well to my 21psi with a large 16g WRX. But I also dont know much about SC or Nitrous.
the stock setup can handle a 75shot as long as it's a wet shot.

i'd recommend buying a wideband o2 sensor and gauge in conjunction with the nitrous purchase.
you nailed it sir.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #15
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
The weak spot is the clutch. If you want to boost a Yaris and don't want to have to baby it, expect to replace the clutch with something more durable pretty soon after you install the turbocharger. Mine is starting to go. I know when and how I screwed it up. Comes with the territory. It isn't an expensive mod relative to a turbo system but it is a little bit of work, and there is that old saying that if you're going to bother dropping the tranny to install a clutch you may as well install a flywheel and a LSD and yadda yadda yadda... in the end it is your call, but I'd say at least the clutch. At this point I'm planning to buy a second car in the next year so I can retire the Yaris from its DD duties and get serious about building it. Garm did it right, but most of us don't have pockets like his. I'm sure he will tell you its no cheap proposition.

Also, a little piece of advice... if you're going to turbo your Yaris, plan on keeping it until it goes to the junkyard. I couldn't imagine selling my car. Nobody in their right mind would pay what I would have to get back for it to sleep at night having put this much money into it. Supercharger is different, but since there is no bolt on turbo kit it is what it is. People are a lot more apt to buy a car when you can point to your FI kit in a catalog or on a web site. Frankenstein turbo kits... not so much, but holy sh!t are they fun, and you learn a lot by having one.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:29 PM   #16
changchewsoon

Drives: Vios Turbo
Send a message via MSN to changchewsoon Send a message via Yahoo to changchewsoon
mine has been running for about 15 months on 9 psi with a piggyback, no problems so far.
changchewsoon is offline   Reply With Quote