Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #19
basslover911

Drives: Future Yaris!
So Im still left with the question... would it be beneficial at all to build little sealed boxes for the rear speakers?
basslover911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #20
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
Nope.
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:06 AM   #21
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I'd agree with that last post.

Personally, I enjoy the bigger woofers. I get to settle for dual ID 15"s sealed.

Taln, I really do want to hear the enclosure you're rocking! You know, I've got a couple classical pipe organ pieces that have some magnificent LOW bass passages...
Old 10-21-2009, 03:26 AM   #22
advocate

Drives: car
My vote is to get high quality speakers with maybe 1 amp to power them and to just crank the bass setting on your head unit.

You're not likely to get vibration-inducing level bass out of speakers but you can get very adequate bass and even more if you change the equalizer settings during playback.

You're going to have to decide what's best for you: 1) solid speakers w/ amp 2) give up and save your money 3) quick release amp / sub setup

Personally? I started out with a huge audio system and loved it but ended up tearing it out because I started getting into performance. If I were you I'd just save the money and if you haven't already, install high quality aftermarket speakers to replace the Toyota OEM ones. I bought 4x blaupunkt speakers with my audio system and they sound great. Got a hell of a price on em too.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #23
Musmat
I've made a post!

Drives: balck car
I have component speakers in the front. So 6.5 mid drivers in the door and tweeters up on the door sails. And then 6x9 coaxials in the back. I have the speakers wired thorugh a 4 channel amp to give them more power and then front set on HP and rear set to LP so you get more mids and sometimes lows so you get actually pretty good base. Its enough to rattle my rear view mirror down and have to adjust occasionally. Without dynomat though in the doors it does rattle the doors significally. I cant have any bottle water in the holder. Its not earth shaking but is not too bad.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #24
TKO

Drives: 4 door hatch
You'd be surprised on how the small bazooka tubes sound. And they hardly take up any space.
TKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #25
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
to add a point, you dont have to keep the subs in the car for autocross, if its a big bulky box that isnt fixed to the car, you can always remove it. wires left behind would weigh a lot less than leaving it in, or building fixed boxes behind speakers, or whatever. Just do it right the first time, allow it to be removed. Then you found your happy medium between both worlds..

Just dont complain about having to remove it.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #26
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by basslover911 View Post
So Im still left with the question... would it be beneficial at all to build little sealed boxes for the rear speakers?
Maybe.... it depends on the Qts/Qes/Qms & Vas of the speaker... By putting the speakers in sealed boxes you will get more volume (and less rattles), but at the same time, you may lose volume in the lower frequencies depending on the specs of the driver & the size of the box. The ultimate would be if you could make ported boxes for those speakers inside the doors. It would be a VERY tricky install though.

If you have an automatic, I'd say build some fiberglass kidpods, throw something like a Tangband neo 6.5" sub in each one, run those pods sealed, and get a 80x2rms amp to power them. then run your normal doors speakers off a 50x2 rms amp and call it good.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #27
anton

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan
If space and weight is really an issue, i'd recommend that you do a proper infinite baffle install on your rear dash with a pair of eights a single ten or even reuse the factory 6x9 cutouts for a pair of tang band or CDT 6x9 subs (parts express)
anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #28
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
But a damn good substitute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
Nope... just a substitute.
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:38 PM   #29
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
If space and weight is really an issue, i'd recommend that you do a proper infinite baffle install on your rear dash with a pair of eights a single ten or even reuse the factory 6x9 cutouts for a pair of tang band or CDT 6x9 subs (parts express)
not a bad idea... would have to spend some time stiffening up the rear deck.
I didn't know CDT made dedicated midbass drivers in the 6x9 size... not many companies do that.