Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLMACH View Post
my point is different anyways - just curious why such a low x-over point?
I understand,

some one told me once...

"do what ever it takes so it sounds right"

and like I wrote once... everybody hears different.


My observation when I had my tweeters crossing low, is that it was harder to adjust center image due to reflexions from the windshield and matching with center image on Mids, going back to point source (with Mids) made my tuning easier, sqcomp knows what he is doing for sure and with a purpose. Some times I like the easy way.

But that's just me.

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
packetrace
 
packetrace's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Quebec
Posts: 566
I have a question...with active filter...and 75W of output on the L1V2...do you need protection ?...75W seems a lot for those little tweeter :S
__________________
Interior:ALL red, black roof
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
_S7V7N_
 
_S7V7N_'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Texas
Posts: 805
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Tolmach I hope you're getting more info for that reply you just gave if not it was totally pointless. The guy can't just go and start cranking on dials and everything magically sound good. If I'm right he has 5V preouts we will need to see the input sensitivity on the amp he gets if it's 5V at the min position you have to be very careful with gain. We need a lot more info before we can give advice.

Packet please don't mess with any of your equipment until you fully understand how you are going to tune the amps and set you crossover points, eq's, we will get you a very detailed how to on setting your amp gain.

When that time comes we'll need detailed information on your equipment.
__________________


Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3

Last edited by _S7V7N_; 04-25-2012 at 07:31 PM.
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Clarification would probably read like this:

Adjusting the gain structure at the source and at the amplifier to not give off a clipped signal from the signal chain as well as a responsible crossover point for the tweeter is the way to go.

Think about it this way, Scott Buwalda is using a JL HD750/1 for each L3SE. He's not blowing speakers. I'm working with 240 Watts (@ 12V) on my L4SEs. I'm doing just fine. Why? Refer to the clarified sentence.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Oh! If I do change the pillar setup, I'll reuse these current pillars and do the entire pillar in ABS to reduce the stress points between the different substrate materials (plastic, fiberglass, filler, and MDF).
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Just to add more to the equation, I'm playing the I6SW a (Pmax Rated Power Input of 120 watts) with 400 watts. But Yes... I'm very conservative on volume, distortion and abusing speakers!

I know many people over power, but it's like Sqcomp's sample of the BMW vrs Prius, remember that?

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:15 AM   #7
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Completely re aimed my front stage. Changed the crossover points and slopes. Now to get the pillars and kicks redone before June.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Completely re aimed my front stage. Changed the crossover points and slopes. Now to get the pillars and kicks redone before June.
Tweeters or Mids?

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Yes to both. :)

It amazes me sometimes how far we come and yet how circular things are. I'm hearing that the tweeters aimed slightly into the glass are just a big winner for me. The issue I was having on the all pillar setup was left side width. With the mid below in the kick I have more width on that left side.

I'll have I e-mail you the camera shots of the placement where it sounded the best for me.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #10
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Yes to both. :)

It amazes me sometimes how far we come and yet how circular things are. I'm hearing that the tweeters aimed slightly into the glass are just a big winner for me. The issue I was having on the all pillar setup was left side width. With the mid below in the kick I have more width on that left side.

I'll have I e-mail you the camera shots of the placement where it sounded the best for me.

Yes! I'v been there! with tweeters it's hard with all the reflection either avoid them or play with them, my tweeters are kind of aiming towards the windshield.

For the Mid down on the left, I agree. Gives me more width that the a-pillar install and that's why I did the extra mile cutting the metal to push it as much as possible physically it's my speaker that sits farther to the left, both mids are off-axis but the left one has a slightly angle so if you see them from the pilots position they look almost to the same angle towards the listener.

My theory is that this way both drivers would give me the same off-axis response. I may be far away from a pro-install, but man sounds good!


BTW... I missed Why? for a "show off" we re-schedule for next week. That gives me time to start tuning each side individually like I stated a few posts above. Wish me luck. Will be waiting for that email, I'm curious to see how you end up aiming your mids and tweets now.

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #11
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
One of the challenges now is to find out what kind of plastic is used to make the a-pillars. I can't find an identifying mark on the back of either of my pillar sets...

Anyone have an idea? I'm hoping it's ABS.

This will help me figure out what I can use to meld plastic to plastic with...to make a new a-pillar entirely out of plastic.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
packetrace
 
packetrace's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Quebec
Posts: 566
Someone already told me it was abs plastic...
__________________
Interior:ALL red, black roof
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
If this is true then I'm set! I just became very excited. This means I already have experience with "cold molding" this type of plastic. Recall my conversion of the 2 DIN bezel into a 1 DIN for the P-01? *rubbing hands together*

This is very good!

...whoops...

I don't think I can stand up now! :P
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #14
packetrace
 
packetrace's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Quebec
Posts: 566
But verify to be sure but I remember someone told me this..:)
__________________
Interior:ALL red, black roof
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
To update...I tore up the a-pillars:

















I know...it's rough looking...but it'll get there. It's all ABS so that means I can fill, shape, and mold with more ABS. Notice the ABS tube? It's already a perfect radius. You can presume what I'll be doing with that.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #16
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Wow! that's nice, I can see how you are using the reflections of the windshield in your favor... that's what I call when you work with your enemy instead of fight it! (Spanish translation)

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:27 AM   #17
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
It came down to the center image. I was getting some funky phasing issues being on axis. I spent about 6 hours moving each set of speakers around, muting all the others, and searching for the center image. I found it. It turns out to be along the same aiming I had in my first iteration last year.

That's why I mentioned it coming full circle. The biggest difference is in the separation of the mids and tweeters. Still, even in the mids I have similar aiming as when they were in the pillars.

Some things are simply strange to me. I need to get this rocking. I have a USACi show on the 27th of May and on the 3rd of June. Then it's planning for a show at Streamline later in the year. D, I want to send you my ID8 in the enclosure I made for my wife's truck. I'm telling you, you'd LOVE the response from this little thing. This little thing is accurate...and downfiring?! It loads off the floor of the car and feels like you've got bass shakers in your seat without ANY slop whatsoever.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #18
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
D, I want to send you my ID8 in the enclosure I made for my wife's truck. I'm telling you, you'd LOVE the response from this little thing. This little thing is accurate...and downfiring?! It loads off the floor of the car and feels like you've got bass shakers in your seat without ANY slop whatsoever.
I'm sure the i6sw will give your ID8 some thing to talk about!

I just can't believe it's just a 6.5 inch woofer what I have.

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sound deadening: sq footage amount for 3dr goku87 In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 29 11-14-2013 12:37 PM
2007 Yaris S Sound Deadening sqcomp In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 70 12-13-2010 07:40 PM
Sound deadening 06vitzRS General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 10 05-05-2010 01:51 PM
Sedan Door Panel Deadening sqcomp In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 42 06-01-2009 02:47 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:47 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.