Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #1909
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLMACH View Post
which means you should be crossing your tweeters at at least 1800 Hz @12db slope .. the producer recommends 1800 hz @4 order

I also just learned that HA has passive networks (which look pretty awesome) and it seems that they cross the tweeter at around 3500 hz 12 db (5.6 mF capacitor used paired with some inductance)

http://store.12velectronics.com/prod...Crossover.html

my point is different anyways - just curious why such a low x-over point?
I'm now at 3.15 kHz at a 6dB on the right and a 36dB on the left tweeter. I'm playing with response, soundstage, and phasing. I wish it was as simple as just slapping a prefabbed passive crossover on a set of speakers. It's just not. I'm a pillar man, always have been. I'm trying to get the stage width SERIOUSLY wide without sacrificing the center image. There is ALWAYS a give and take.

Before anyone trys to rake me over the coals, I had Scott Buwalda riding in the Yaris on Monday while on our way to dinner. I showed him the crossover points for all the speakers. He didn't have any issue with 3.15kHz at a 6. If the right kicks it, I'll let everyone know and get Scott to re-work the guts of the tweeter (since it is an L1Pro SE and not a mainline production R2 tweeter).
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #1910
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Oh! If I do change the pillar setup, I'll reuse these current pillars and do the entire pillar in ABS to reduce the stress points between the different substrate materials (plastic, fiberglass, filler, and MDF).
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #1911
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Just to add more to the equation, I'm playing the I6SW a (Pmax Rated Power Input of 120 watts) with 400 watts. But Yes... I'm very conservative on volume, distortion and abusing speakers!

I know many people over power, but it's like Sqcomp's sample of the BMW vrs Prius, remember that?

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #1912
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
ooh, didn't realize the 16sw was a 6.5. That could work for me. And a pretty darn good price too.

I had the JL 10 in a ported box in the back of the hatch with a full interior. Even with the windows open there was too much sound pressure.

I bet you could even kick my butt so I installed it myself. I used to go to school in N Dartmouth, let me know.

The lunatic in me is curious to know if you know how much it weighs. Rofl, 7 lbs.
Now I now why, why? gets head-each right?

(Bohemian Rhapsody, Keane, queen, garbage, etc.)


That's ok, I'll show my car to why? on Friday, I hope he likes the little that can! (i6sw) and no I don't know how much it weights sorry? not much I guess?

I'll bring other 2 big brothers too (IDQ12 one of the best SQ subs I've seen it just doesn't fit where the i6sw does, and a Bazooka just to play around)






D.


.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:48 AM   #1913
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Even when I turned down the sub through the h/u, and the gain on the amp it still gave me a headache. So annoying.
Mmm, are you still driving without rear seats?

I'm sure that would give me a head-ache too!

I'm going to have to take you for a ride!



D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:15 AM   #1914
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Completely re aimed my front stage. Changed the crossover points and slopes. Now to get the pillars and kicks redone before June.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #1915
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Completely re aimed my front stage. Changed the crossover points and slopes. Now to get the pillars and kicks redone before June.
Tweeters or Mids?

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #1916
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Yes to both. :)

It amazes me sometimes how far we come and yet how circular things are. I'm hearing that the tweeters aimed slightly into the glass are just a big winner for me. The issue I was having on the all pillar setup was left side width. With the mid below in the kick I have more width on that left side.

I'll have I e-mail you the camera shots of the placement where it sounded the best for me.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #1917
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Yes to both. :)

It amazes me sometimes how far we come and yet how circular things are. I'm hearing that the tweeters aimed slightly into the glass are just a big winner for me. The issue I was having on the all pillar setup was left side width. With the mid below in the kick I have more width on that left side.

I'll have I e-mail you the camera shots of the placement where it sounded the best for me.

Yes! I'v been there! with tweeters it's hard with all the reflection either avoid them or play with them, my tweeters are kind of aiming towards the windshield.

For the Mid down on the left, I agree. Gives me more width that the a-pillar install and that's why I did the extra mile cutting the metal to push it as much as possible physically it's my speaker that sits farther to the left, both mids are off-axis but the left one has a slightly angle so if you see them from the pilots position they look almost to the same angle towards the listener.

My theory is that this way both drivers would give me the same off-axis response. I may be far away from a pro-install, but man sounds good!


BTW... I missed Why? for a "show off" we re-schedule for next week. That gives me time to start tuning each side individually like I stated a few posts above. Wish me luck. Will be waiting for that email, I'm curious to see how you end up aiming your mids and tweets now.

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #1918
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
One of the challenges now is to find out what kind of plastic is used to make the a-pillars. I can't find an identifying mark on the back of either of my pillar sets...

Anyone have an idea? I'm hoping it's ABS.

This will help me figure out what I can use to meld plastic to plastic with...to make a new a-pillar entirely out of plastic.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #1919
packetrace
 
packetrace's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Quebec
Posts: 566
Someone already told me it was abs plastic...
__________________
Interior:ALL red, black roof
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #1920
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
If this is true then I'm set! I just became very excited. This means I already have experience with "cold molding" this type of plastic. Recall my conversion of the 2 DIN bezel into a 1 DIN for the P-01? *rubbing hands together*

This is very good!

...whoops...

I don't think I can stand up now! :P
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #1921
packetrace
 
packetrace's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Quebec
Posts: 566
But verify to be sure but I remember someone told me this..:)
__________________
Interior:ALL red, black roof
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #1922
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
To update...I tore up the a-pillars:

















I know...it's rough looking...but it'll get there. It's all ABS so that means I can fill, shape, and mold with more ABS. Notice the ABS tube? It's already a perfect radius. You can presume what I'll be doing with that.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #1923
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Wow! that's nice, I can see how you are using the reflections of the windshield in your favor... that's what I call when you work with your enemy instead of fight it! (Spanish translation)

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:27 AM   #1924
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
It came down to the center image. I was getting some funky phasing issues being on axis. I spent about 6 hours moving each set of speakers around, muting all the others, and searching for the center image. I found it. It turns out to be along the same aiming I had in my first iteration last year.

That's why I mentioned it coming full circle. The biggest difference is in the separation of the mids and tweeters. Still, even in the mids I have similar aiming as when they were in the pillars.

Some things are simply strange to me. I need to get this rocking. I have a USACi show on the 27th of May and on the 3rd of June. Then it's planning for a show at Streamline later in the year. D, I want to send you my ID8 in the enclosure I made for my wife's truck. I'm telling you, you'd LOVE the response from this little thing. This little thing is accurate...and downfiring?! It loads off the floor of the car and feels like you've got bass shakers in your seat without ANY slop whatsoever.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #1925
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
D, I want to send you my ID8 in the enclosure I made for my wife's truck. I'm telling you, you'd LOVE the response from this little thing. This little thing is accurate...and downfiring?! It loads off the floor of the car and feels like you've got bass shakers in your seat without ANY slop whatsoever.
I'm sure the i6sw will give your ID8 some thing to talk about!

I just can't believe it's just a 6.5 inch woofer what I have.

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:31 AM   #1926
talnlnky
Audio Junky
 
talnlnky's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 liftback
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Spokane, Wa
Posts: 1,412
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
It came down to the center image. I was getting some funky phasing issues being on axis. I spent about 6 hours moving each set of speakers around, muting all the others, and searching for the center image. I found it. It turns out to be along the same aiming I had in my first iteration last year.
Good to know, tweet install is next up for my car... Today I just finished getting rid of my dash rattle. Its amazing how much of a difference .5sq ft of ensolite foam + .5sq ft of mat, + about 20" of electrical tape can do. It actually wasn't that hard getting dash off, once I realized I forgot the two bolts securing the airbag.

I know one thing, my tweet install is going to be much simplier than yours, and also look way more ghetto... but thats ok.
__________________
talnlnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sound deadening: sq footage amount for 3dr goku87 In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 29 11-14-2013 12:37 PM
2007 Yaris S Sound Deadening sqcomp In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 70 12-13-2010 07:40 PM
Sound deadening 06vitzRS General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 10 05-05-2010 01:51 PM
Sedan Door Panel Deadening sqcomp In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 42 06-01-2009 02:47 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:26 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.