![]() |
|
|
|
|
|
#1 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2008 Black Sedan Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 966
|
Yup that happened to mine and that's when I went open downpipe. It was for me all the vibrations and the degree of the bend I had. Over time it broke.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
1NZ-6spd
Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,967
|
The weld doesn't look like it had any penetration. Was this one a custom down pipe or is it part of the zage kit?
|
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 875
|
It broke at the weld - that's why it looks like a perfect cut. Pretty annoying
![]() Anyhoo, planning on doing some professional tuning next week. I do still suspect a vacuum leak and would also like to do ignition timing. Otherwise I'm trying to figure out where to go from here. I'm never going to raise the boost as I need this car to be somewhat reliable. Currently I'm thinking of actually switching to a top mount intercooler(+functional hood scoop) and maybe adding meth injection with like 75% water and 25% meth (since meth is just eh with only 8ish psi). |
|
|
|
|
|
#4 |
|
C'est la vie
Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: chicago
Posts: 482
|
This down pipe is definitley repairable. You need to install a stainless mesh flex joint and have it welded in at a exhaust shop. I had one installed on my custom downpipe and never had a problem. Check the bottom of page six on my thread and there is a picture of the one I used. U can make a pressure tester to check 4boost leaks. My friend made one for his 932 hp e85 supra and found 4 boost leaks. Now he has much more torque and less lag. He used a piece of silicon hose attached to the turbo inlet that had a round piece of aluminum to block off the end. Then he installed a 3/8 air hose quick connect fitting by threading it into the aluminum block off plate. Then he used a compressor with a regulator set to 5 psi and charged the intake with the engine off. He then just listened for all the spots where the air leaked out. He could not believe all the leaks he found. He is running 32 psi of boost now with no leaks. He also said all the hose clamps with a T-bolt were leaking. Now he installed screw type hose clamps and they are holding good. Hope this helps.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#5 |
|
Banned
Drives: yaris Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: earth
Posts: 364
|
worlds worst welding job
Last edited by A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby; 11-12-2011 at 11:53 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
|
C'est la vie
Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: chicago
Posts: 482
|
On a second look U may need to have it rewelded at the crack because its on the bend. And have the flex joint installed on the strait portion of the pipe. U can buy flex joints that are only 3-4 inches long.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#7 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2008 Black Sedan Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 966
|
Weld it right back at the spot and the weld in some support bars. It wont break after that.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 875
|
Thanks guys. I literally had it repaired an hour after I posted that up lol. Obviously it's going to be a temporary solution, and I'm especially worried about that other weld joint. Definitely liking the mesh flex joint though. Next time it breaks I'll have one added.
If I had a compressor I would definitely do leak testing... Anyone know of a place that rents em out? Otherwise, I'll just have a tuner look for leaks while we're tuning. |
|
|
|
|
|
#9 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2010 black yaris Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: savannah, ga
Posts: 2,867
|
A compressor is a wonderful thing to invest in. I bought mine from Harbor Frieght about 6 years ago and is still compressing 235psi weekly. If you are able to get a hold of a compressor check this thread out to make your own 5 dollar boost leak tester:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/arti...your-to4e.html DSM guys are awesome when it comes to help with turbo's for cheap. I made something like this for my crx. easy to use, easy to make
__________________
-Derrick- "Racing is important to men who do it well. When you're racing... It's life. Anything that happens before or after, is just waiting." |
|
|
|
|
|
#10 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 875
|
So last week I took the turbo out to check for shaft play since it's been in now for a little over a year. Also had to remove a broken stem from where the downpipe mounts up. Been putting this off for awhile because taking the turbo off this car is such a god damn burden lol.
Anyway, shaft play is just dandy which I was glad to see. I've also made some progress on my ongoing boost leak battle. I believe the problem is on the exhaust side - specifically where the manifold mounts up to the block. That broken stem wasn't exactly helping either. AND it turns out when I originally reclocked the turbo I had stretched the actuator and thus put preload on the spring (oops :p). When I get time I need to check it out more. |
|
|
|
|
|
#11 |
|
C'est la vie
Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: chicago
Posts: 482
|
Exhaust leaks suck. I have had my share.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#12 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 875
|
More problems...
I'm misfiring BADLY. Literally if I even get on the throttle moderately it completely misses and almost stalls. I can't even build past like 1.5 psi of boost (even if I accelerate slowly...). Gas quality wasn't the problem so hopefully it's something plug related. The plugs are less than 10k miles old so I can't imagine they would already be fouled. No diagnostic codes either. |
|
|
|
|
|
#13 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ULTIMATEDrives: 07 Yaris Turbo Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,857
|
Check the coils too.
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific. |
|
|
|
|
|
#14 |
|
Mr. 155 and climbing
Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In The Hotbox
Posts: 4,742
|
__________________
Team Tiamat Racing on Facebook Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes. |
|
|
|
|
|
#15 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 875
|
Went to go work on the exhaust leak today. In the process I immediately noticed the actuator had no spring pressure. As soon as I started toying with it, the rod fell right out of the actuator. Unbelievable... I can't figure out how to get it back in (if even possible) so it looks like I'll be buying a new one. The best part is that Zage torqued the actuator bracket bolts so hard that I broke the heads off of BOTH of them trying to get them out.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#16 |
|
1NZ-6spd
Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,967
|
Sounds like the Zage kit is adding up to be a "get what'cha pay for" kind of kit after a few thousand miles have been put on it. Unfortunate.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#17 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ULTIMATEDrives: 07 Yaris Turbo Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,857
|
^ With a warranty. Interesting that no one asks.
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific. |
|
|
|
|
|
#18 |
|
1NZ-6spd
Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,967
|
Oh well that changes my view a bit. But there has been quite a few issues.
Garm, we're you still putting together your own kit? |
|
|
|
![]() |
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| NEWS: TOYOTA REVEALS ALL-NEW YARIS SEDAN AT 2006 LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW | VitzBoy | General Yaris / Vitz Discussion | 7 | 09-20-2023 07:50 AM |
| Turbo kits!! | djgab101 | Forced Induction Forum | 26 | 03-09-2015 03:24 PM |
| 2007 Yaris Pricing Info ! | YarisBueller | New YARIS Purchase Forum | 104 | 06-24-2009 04:54 PM |
| Turbo kit Brainstorming | Gideon | Forced Induction Forum | 16 | 04-19-2009 12:54 AM |