Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #397
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Hopefully this will help prevent the manafold from cracking again.
Did you put on the replacement manifold I sent you?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:57 AM   #398
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
My previous set up used a 1.5mm restrictor that came with my oil line. I thought it was needed to maintain proper oil pressure in the engine. My turbo was trashed after 4 months. More recently I did a lot of reading on Garretts web sight and they say no restrictor is needed unless you have so much oil pressure its leaking through the seals into the intake or exhaust. I looked inside my turbo and it looks to have its own restrictor built in. Its bigger then 1.5mm, mabe 3mm. So far everything going well. And yes I am still using a extra spring to pull my wastegate open at a lower pressure. i still need to buy some lager injectors soon. Mabe then run at 8-9 psi
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #399
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Did you put on the replacement manifold I sent you?
Yes
Old 04-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #400
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Awww yeah
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #401
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Ordered some used 2azfe injectors today. Looking forward to doing some more tuning and mabe a dyno run while its still cold outside. I saw no noticable difference in afr using 1zz injectors from a 99 corolla.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:05 AM   #402
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp my yaris View Post
My previous set up used a 1.5mm restrictor that came with my oil line. I thought it was needed to maintain proper oil pressure in the engine. My turbo was trashed after 4 months. More recently I did a lot of reading on Garretts web sight and they say no restrictor is needed unless you have so much oil pressure its leaking through the seals into the intake or exhaust. I looked inside my turbo and it looks to have its own restrictor built in. Its bigger then 1.5mm, mabe 3mm. So far everything going well. And yes I am still using a extra spring to pull my wastegate open at a lower pressure. i still need to buy some lager injectors soon. Mabe then run at 8-9 psi
I am running 1mm restrictor in my GT2560R turbo as recommended by Garrett.

Looking from the oil feed you can see a 3mm restrictor but that is not the proper restrictor to use.
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #403
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmas View Post
I am running 1mm restrictor in my GT2560R turbo as recommended by Garrett.

Looking from the oil feed you can see a 3mm restrictor but that is not the proper restrictor to use.
I believe the 2560r is a ball bearing turbo, but for a journal bearing turbo like mine, Garrett recomends no restrictor.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #404
Parmas

Quote:
I believe the 2560r is a ball bearing turbo, but for a journal bearing turbo like mine, Garrett recomends no restrictor.
I didn't knew yours was not ball bearing. If so then you should not restrict the oil feed line.

Do you know what oil pressure you have at the turbo feed line?
Old 04-23-2011, 08:55 AM   #405
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmas View Post
I didn't knew yours was not ball bearing. If so then you should not restrict the oil feed line.

Do you know what oil pressure you have at the turbo feed line?
No, but its a 4an line so there should be plenty of oil flow.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #406
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Yesterday I installed 2azfe injectors from a 08 scion TC. Then spent about an hour driving around and retuning with the AEM FIC. Got it running great and may only need some slight tweeking in the future. I first tryed using my previous map and changed the injector size in the FIC software. That did not work so well, so I had to start from scratch making a new map. The stock injectors could not keep up at high rpm. Now I need a dyno run soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1610.jpg (163.1 KB, 217 views)
Old 04-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #407
Focus_Sh1ft

^ Just be ready for super rich AFRs next winter. The ECU will be increasing the duty cycle for cold weather compensation and it's going to be expecting 200ish cc injectors and tCs are what, 360?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #408
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
yes, dyno run soon please
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #409
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
^ Just be ready for super rich AFRs next winter. The ECU will be increasing the duty cycle for cold weather compensation and it's going to be expecting 200ish cc injectors and tCs are what, 360?
Oh ya. On my first start up the car would barely run. My wide band was pegged at 10:1. Most of my new fuel map is pulling duty cycle back with negative percentages. I am running positive percentages in high boost. The FIC actually zeros out (no intervention) at about 2 psi of boost. At idle its negative 27%
Old 04-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #410
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
how is your timing? i can send you the tune i got if ya want
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #411
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Quote:
Oh ya. On my first start up the car would barely run. My wide band was pegged at 10:1. Most of my new fuel map is pulling duty cycle back with negative percentages. I am running positive percentages in high boost. The FIC actually zeros out (no intervention) at about 2 psi of boost. At idle its negative 27%
Months ago I said exactly what you are going through with the TC injectors. They are too big for the factory ECU to handle. I said you would have to pull fuel. I hope the person who thought I didnt know what I was talking about reads your post and admits they were completely wrong.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #412
Focus_Sh1ft

^ Who was that? It's not exactly a hard concept to grasp...

Anyways, I could have sworn the FIC causes hesitation at 0 and below in its maps. So pulling fuel actually works? That means I can stop skewing the MAF!
Old 04-25-2011, 03:23 AM   #413
Parmas

Quote:
I think you must precise more this post when saying " I am running positive percentages in high boost". How much positive and how much boost?

Running low AFRs are not very good to the engine. Excess fuel tend to mix with engine oil and you can see it dirty after 2 runs already. Running dirty oil mixed with fuel tend to make flash marks on the cylinder bores due too low lubrication to the piston rings. Also turbo bearings tend to fail earlier because of this. I am mentioning this from experience so prevent running the engine like this.

Do you have an upgraded fuel pressure regulator? With the regulator you can reduce fuel pressure and equalizing fuel ratios (although I don't know how the stock ecu reacts having it installed)
Old 04-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #414
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

After tuning I am idling at 13.5 to 14:1 afr with the engine warm. When under full throttle my map maintains about 11.5:1 afr. So far its running great and the engine runs very smooth. And Focus, about that hesitation under acceleration I am almost sure its caused by the ignition system and not the FIC. I replaced my spark plugs with a colder heat range and closed the gap very small. This made a huge difference as the spark needs less voltage to jump the smaller gap. I still sometimes have a hesitation but much less often. I think the only way to correct this completely would be better ignition coils. I have heard of boost actually blowing out the spark when more air rushes into the combustion chamber. Have you corrected your hesitation?