Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Speakers, need guidance.

okay, I am a total audio newb.

my stock speakers are not sounding so hot anymore from the 40 on the volume on the stock head unit for 90k miles. I listen to heavy metal with loud instrumentals, and deep vocals. I like it loud, all the time.

I was wondering if there were speakers that you guys think would work good for the music that I listen to, lift-back front and rear.

Im not good at sizing speakers, so links would be appreciated.

thanks ahead of time
Old 05-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
beanders

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan 5-Speed
The factory speakers are junk. With my factory system, I had to reduce nearly all bass and treble, for it to sound more flat (audiophile'ish). I couldn't get the volume much passed 30 without hearing distortion.

I have the factory speakers replaced with Pioneer TS-D6902R (6x9) in the rear and Pioneer TS-D1602R (6.5) in the front. The factory head unit powers them well. I bought them on Ebay new about $100 a pair.

I would recommend buying the spacer/adapters for the speakers to fit.
beanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:26 AM   #3
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
what we recommend will really depend on your budget. If you are wanting to stay under $200 then I'd say have a pair of 6.5" installed in the front. If you do it yourself, you can save some serious money when combined with buying online or last years model speakers. Components are better than normal (coaxial) speakers.. but take slightly more effort to install.

If you are willing to spend upwards of $500 then you could get a deck ($150), a small 50x2rms amp and power kit ($150), and a quality set of components ($150), and a tiny bit of sound deadening mat for door rattles. That's considering you do the install yourself.

If you could also do something inbetween the two setups, and use the stock deck (tho I don't recommend it)... and you could have stock deck, amp & speakers... for around $300.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:22 AM   #4
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Heavy Metal is a challenge. By its very nature, it is noisy and distorted.
The speed of it tends to blur everything together.
Improperly mixed and mastered, it can sound like mud in a can.

It is a challenge to keep it all separated and clean.

Components would be better, but not totally necessary.
A tight fast bottom-end is pretty much a requirement.

Again, a budget is needed. Can't spec anything out unless we have a budget to work with.
( and how much "work" you want to do )
Old 05-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
I can do it all myself, and budget will be a couple hundred ordering over the next few months. would like to run the 4 speakers to a small amp, as I am building a carpc as well and need the source input
Old 05-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
I can do it all myself, and budget will be a couple hundred ordering over the next few months. would like to run the 4 speakers to a small amp, as I am building a carpc as well and need the source input
like I say in all threads like this... only replace your front speakers, and if you can fight the urge, don't connect your rear speakers. This will allow you to get speakers that cost twice as much, and should be of much greater quality. two speakers is all you need to get loud, in fact, 1 speaker is all you really need, but you need two for stereo effect. Furthermore, a 2 channel amp is cheaper than a 4 channel, and its nicer on your electrical system. A smaller amp will also mean you can get away with using smaller guage power wire which is cheaper too, and lighter, and easier to work with.

You get where I'm going with this... the benefits of running 2 speakers is almost exponential compared to 4 speakers... and i'm only talking about the cost so far. There is also sound quality improvements as well.

You can get a decent set of component speakers starting at around $100-120 if bought online ($200 in stores).

Since you like always loud metal.... i'm going to guess that you'd be a fan of shrill tweets like the metallic tweets found in MB Quart or Focal... JL also uses metallic tweets, tho they seem include a crossover that tames the tweet a lot more than the Quart & Focal crossovers do.

so... your homework... go listen to some speakers, listen to speakers which use a metallic looking tweet (will look like its made out of mylar or some other thin metal material, like the ballons) and then go listen to some other speakers that use a soft dome tweet, or silk tweet. See which speaker has the best sounding highs.

TAKE A CD OF YOURS WITH YOU... you have to compare using music you are familiar with other wise the comparison is pointless.

If you go to an Infinity dealer it'll be easy to compare, the Refrence line of speakers use a soft dome tweet, the Kappas use a mettalic tweet.... tho, Quart and Focal are probably the most notorious for having harsh/shrill tweets.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:16 AM   #7
DFA
Compulsive Washer

Drives: 08' AT Meteorite Metallic LB
Send a message via MSN to DFA
As an avid metal listener myself as well, components are a must.

$.02

DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:15 PM   #8
psykobowler

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Smile

If money is an issue you could go to target or walmart for cheap 3 way speakers. I got generic 3 way speakers for the front and back and it sounded better and louder with the stock head unit. When I upgraded my head unit with a pioneer avid touch screen and added kicker bass amp and cab I kept the 3 way speakers. The stock speakers hardly has any magnet in it and cheapo 3 way speakers from target far exceeds the stock.
psykobowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:50 PM   #9
DailyDriver

Drives: 3dr Lftback (meteorite) Manual
You have received some great advice so far from folks who know their stuff!
DailyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:04 AM   #10
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
...i suppose i'm fairly biased when I say avoid wally world. If you're saving money you can get good speakers without having to dredge at walmart. Look through the clearance stuff at your local sound shop.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:17 AM   #11
H3LlIoN

Drives: '09 Yarrrr hatch
On a reasonable budget...

Loud and clear is infinity, amped.

OMGf$%cking loud is Kicker, amped.

I always recommend Alpine amps, they just sound so damn good. PDX series is k3y. pdx-4.100 for entry to mid levels, or 4.150 for kappa perfects, or anything topend kicker. Kickers are also bi-amp-able, depending on how loud you like it.

Special thanks to Cali Yaris, 1NZYaris1 and lilredrocket
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:19 AM   #12
H3LlIoN

Quote:
I'm not good at sizing speakers...
6 1/2's, front and rear and you're good, assuming you can make an mdf spacer. If not, use crutchfield speaker finder tool to match depth with car. Ignore part where it says no components will fit...that just means you have to cut hole in door panel or a pillar to make it work.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:25 AM   #13
H3LlIoN

Quote:

Head on up to your local Best Buy. You might find that Rockford Fosgate products are....extremely well priced right now through them.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:21 AM   #14
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

If you're going to best buy...do NOT let them touch your car! This week alone the shop has fixed three totally efed BB installs. They are some of the worst...too many shortcuts, not enough brains behind the installs. Rat's nests look better.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #15
H3LlIoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
If you're going to best buy...do NOT let them touch your car! This week alone the shop has fixed three totally efed BB installs. They are some of the worst...too many shortcuts, not enough brains behind the installs. Rat's nests look better.

Honestly, that depends on the best buy. At the very least, just talk to the installer before you let them work on your car, as you would ANY installer. The installer here does excellent work, with 5 years worth of custom show quality experience. That is a rarity tho...not all BBY's have that.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:47 AM   #16
ciscobear

Drives: Toyota Belta
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanders View Post
The factory speakers are junk. With my factory system, I had to reduce nearly all bass and treble, for it to sound more flat (audiophile'ish). I couldn't get the volume much passed 30 without hearing distortion.

I have the factory speakers replaced with Pioneer TS-D6902R (6x9) in the rear and Pioneer TS-D1602R (6.5) in the front. The factory head unit powers them well. I bought them on Ebay new about $100 a pair.

I would recommend buying the spacer/adapters for the speakers to fit.
I have the same speaker setup in mind Good to know another member went that route as well.
ciscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #17
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Ressurection!