![]() |
|
|
|
#37 |
|
Roadrunner Jr.
|
Ha HA! Finally! someone else outside of the sound forums who knows about RC's challenge!
This is based off the true idea that a Watt is a Watt no matter what amplifier it comes from. This is basically saying that a Watt from a POS Boss amplifier is the same as a Watt from a top end McIntosh. amplifiers making the same power at the same signal level do NOT sound different...IF there are NO eq's or sound shaping variables. Dammit...work is almost over...I'd get into it more but I've said enough.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” ― Thomas Paine |
|
|
|
|
|
#38 |
![]() ![]() ![]() |
Well I kind of held my tongue and was also confused by bigsky's post about the amp. I was thinking to myself what difference does it make what amp I use with the Focals? I mean...like you say, a watt is a watt. I can tell you for sure I will be using what I can truely afford if I do amp them. Which means 300 or less for my front\rear amp.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#39 |
|
YRS WHOR
Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chiangmai, Thailand
Posts: 359
|
Well, an undistorted Watt from a POS Boss with a proper signal, gain settings and speaker load will sound the same, as a McIntosh Watt..
It's just that the McIntosh will make a lot more undistorted Watts, will likely be more energy effecient, looks waay sexy, won't overheat or shut-down, and will outlast you and all of your cars :) |
|
|
|
|
|
#40 | |
|
YRS WHOR
Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chiangmai, Thailand
Posts: 359
|
Quote:
If you buy a POS bargain basement brand it might also sound the same, but you'll be saving money at the expense of reliability, features, build quality and backup support. Stick the the big name brands and you won't go wrong. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#41 |
|
Roadrunner Jr.
|
Razr, I think you hit it on the nose.
What everyone needs to know is HOW to properly level match your system. That will keep distortion and clipping COMPLETELY out of the picture. As was mentioned, people spend more for engineering quality and reliability. You buy authorized to get local and factory support. Holler at me if anyone wants the low down on how to PROPERLY level match your system. You can get close by ear and I can tell you how to do that as well BUT for dead on accurate level matching you'll need an O-scope. A REAL shop and installer should be able to do this for you if you don't have access to a scope.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” ― Thomas Paine |
|
|
|
|
|
#42 |
|
Banned
Drives: LB Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: OH
Posts: 7,787
|
I seriously feel like I've been living under a rock for 21 years.
http://www.alpinef1status.com I searched eBay and Froogle and came up with a couple of dingy used head units. (used, stolen, whatever) How much are those components and what do they sound like? I have never seen this line until today! Credit to sqcomp... I found it where he used to work and he'll likely be the first to chime in! Just look at this crap! Its beautiful! I'll bet its a freekin' fortune too! img_dvi-9990_p.jpg img_spx-z15m_p.jpg img_tmi-m990_p.jpg |
|
|
|
|
|
#43 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#44 | |
![]() ![]() ![]() |
I came across that the same way you did Chino. Too rich for my blood. I wont be doing any SQ comps but I do want quality sound for a decent price.
Quote:
Tack on another 2600$ |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#45 |
|
Banned
Drives: LB Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: OH
Posts: 7,787
|
Holy shat!
I'll have top-of-the-line Alpine one day down the road. For now the X series should do nicely. |
|
|
|
|
|
#46 |
|
Roadrunner Jr.
|
LOL! Yeah...the ACTUAL cost of those F#1 units is 50% off list to the dealer...or it was when I worked for the shop. You can probably talk a shop down to $1800-$2000 without install on that piece. The thing is when buying that into range you DO NOT want the "average" slap a deck in and turn on the power. You want good, close attention to your vehicle.
I've actually had some good luck with E-bay. I purchased a Denon DCT Z1 from a gentleman headquartered in Taiwan. The purchase was recomended from Scott Buwalda. I was on my way to purchase an Alpine 7909J before the Denon. I still want to get my hands on the 7909J though... Anyway, The F#1 equipment is some of the best out there as a package. You're paying for exclusivity, quality and great local and factory support. Pioneer also has an head unit/processor package at a more "attractive" price...or at least they did in the P1. Remember guys, it's all about what you can do with what you have. I'm working with David Navone and Scott Buwalda on a "budget" system that aims to get near the high dollar project that is in the glass works now. I'm dropping names, I know...The point of that is to see how many of you know your sound competition history. This is of course after someone mentioned Richard Clark.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” ― Thomas Paine |
|
|
|
|
|
#47 |
![]() ![]() ![]() |
No idea...but I wish someone would take me under their wing and really show me a proper install on a budget. Also....any recommendations on center channels??? Could I use say like a normal 4" coax for a center? And what good would this do for my sound stage?
|
|
|
|
|
|
#48 |
|
YRS WHOR
Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chiangmai, Thailand
Posts: 359
|
Name dropper! :) OK, I'm intrigued!
|
|
|
|
|
|
#49 |
|
Roadrunner Jr.
|
If you need a center channel, you're doing something wrong...or you're installing a 5.1 system. Seeing as I've only had my Yaris for a week and a half, I don't know too much about the stereo options that come for the vehicle from the facotry. I have the Yaris with an integrated radio option, that doesn't "easily" come out. I think the other radio option is what, 1 1/2 DIN? Or is it a double DIN?
If it is a double you can buy a center channel speaker that fits just above a single DIN stereo. Ithink that Pioneer and Alpine also have a pod that can be put in the center of the dash...oh wait! where is our instrument cluster? Well, it may still work closer to the glass. The idea you'll have to consider with a center cannel mounted in the console is that it will pull your soundstage down. Honestly I don't see the need for a center channel.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” ― Thomas Paine Last edited by sqcomp; 03-04-2007 at 11:49 AM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#50 |
![]() ![]() ![]() |
I have the double din radio that looks very easily removed. I was asking due to a 5.1 setup. That probably wont happen though.
|
|
|
|
![]() |
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Fiberglass enclosure / Stereo system | bugnuts | In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) | 30 | 05-20-2007 12:11 PM |
| Immobilize and security system. | Meow | In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) | 19 | 04-18-2007 05:40 PM |
| System is installed! | Venom | In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) | 14 | 01-28-2007 06:06 PM |
| My Sound System | mhero | In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) | 0 | 09-18-2006 11:50 PM |
| Question about Toyota's shipping system | Goose | New YARIS Purchase Forum | 4 | 04-30-2006 11:03 AM |