Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 12:06 AM   #1405
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Thumbs up

Test fit the elements!...

















D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:44 AM   #1406
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp


Talk to me about the edge there...

You sanded it down more, correct?
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:17 PM   #1407
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Talk to me about the edge there...

You sanded it down more, correct? YES!
I left on purpose that image, I knew it was going to bring your attention:

- Yes... I did sanded more with this:





- I could have photo-shop the image

-D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #1408
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
He he! My man! I have learned to love the straight edge sanding block. Tell me about the tweeter...

(yes, I'm being tough on you on purpose)

Here's something for you:




















^No leaks...and it sounds great. Excuse the camera's microphone, it doesn't reflect the actual sound.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #1409
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
He he! My man! I have learned to love the straight edge sanding block. Tell me about the tweeter...

(yes, I'm being tough on you on purpose)

Here's something for you:

^No leaks...and it sounds great. Excuse the camera's microphone, it doesn't reflect the actual sound.
The right tweeter end up flush but the left one there was a small gap, that I filled in and then sanded out, similar to what you did to the edge of your subwoofer.

That's a sexy sub you have there, I think I wrote this before (o:

If I could just do something like that with my IDQ12 and stick it under the dashboard...

Hey I'm about to try the Mids down in the Kicks, the PLDs turn out to be really good, I want to do this before I plug the Mids on the a-pillars to compare and write my thoughts.

I'm afraid I could like it! that makes me think... mmm going to start all over again!

D.
D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #1410
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I think you could like it too...



__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #1411
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
I think you could like it too...
On the first photo... tell me he is not using the OEM door speakers area? Mids in the kickpanels Tweeters on A-pillars, Lows on the floor... floor? how did he deal with ground clearance? sub in the trunk?

Keep them coming!

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #1412
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Mid bass in the doors AND in the floor. Two 15"s in the trunk.

That is Bill Pleasant's IASCA/USACi SQ vehicle. It's been the highest scoring vehicle in his class in IASCA for 4 years now without changing a single piece of equipment. People have been trying to take him down for years and it's hasn't worked well for them.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #1413
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Mid bass in the doors AND in the floor. Two 15"s in the trunk.

That is Bill Pleasant's IASCA/USACi SQ vehicle. It's been the highest scoring vehicle in his class in IASCA for 4 years now without changing a single piece of equipment. People have been trying to take him down for years and it's hasn't worked well for them.
4 Midbass!!!

very interesting....

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #1414
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I thought you might like that. It seems to work for Bill. I'll probably be seeing him in August.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:25 AM   #1415
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
I thought you might like that. It seems to work for Bill. I'll probably be seeing him in August.
What are your thoughts comparing the ergonomics of the Yaris with the Altima?

HAT recommends a difference of PLDs of no more than 12 inches for the Mids. At the A-pillars I have 10 inches aprox.

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #1416
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Yes an no. This is where you can play with aiming and your time alignment. Yes, the PLDs should be equal (or as equal as possible). That goes without saying for any speaker really. Take my setup for example, it works because the passenger's side speaker is more on axis than the driver's side. It lends itself to a nice even stage and precise imaging. What it lacks at this point is width. It goes a little beyond pillar to pillar.

I know what and how I can improve the pillars if I was to do them over again. The tweeters would stay the same but the kids would sink in a little more and I'd put the mids slightly more on axis and deeper into the windshield. Why? Because we have the processing to make that setup happen.

Ultimately, I want to rebuild the dash and make this little yaris a two seat car for the IASCA judges. I could do that...

Planning and scheming. I know exactly where I'd place the speakers. On the engine bay side of the firewall...aperiodically enclosed (sort of)...weatherproof of course. The trippy
thing is that the other drivers around me would hear all my music.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:32 AM   #1417
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
More spurring for you D! I'm glad you got the sub ordered. I'm working on the CD thing. I just got the blue screen of death on my laptop on Monday. I'm working on it though.









To those who don't know...that is a 15" woofer. Small car and huge amps...much like an audio hot rod. :)
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:49 AM   #1418
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Exclamation

I love "Yes and No" answers at work we use them a lot. There is a lot of thinking behind that short sentence.

"mids slightly more on axis and deeper into the windshield." more on axis I get it but deeper into the windshield?

What does it means a 2 seat car for the IASCA judges?


"On the engine bay side of the firewall" I can't picture this..


D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:57 AM   #1419
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
More spurring for you D! I'm glad you got the sub ordered. I'm working on the CD thing. I just got the blue screen of death on my laptop on Monday. I'm working on it though.

To those who don't know...that is a 15" woofer. Small car and huge amps...much like an audio hot rod. :)
Yeah, mean while I'm getting a 6 inch woofer you are showing off a 15" woofer!

Beautiful amp rack, the DD logo looks like it's a woofer in action!



D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:34 AM   #1420
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Yesterday I painted the a-pillars black (mate) I left my camera at the office so we'll have to wait for pictures!

I like the way they came out! looks very OEM finish,

NOTE: the original color of my Yaris on the a-pillars is Tang or Beige not black! I just don't want the speakers to show off from the outside! in black they will blend better, like camouflage.

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #1421
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
I love [B]"mids slightly more on axis and deeper into the windshield." more on axis I get it but deeper into the windshield?

What does it means a 2 seat car for the IASCA judges?


"On the engine bay side of the firewall" I can't picture this..
You recall how my mids are now. Angle them in towards the cabin, then move them "back" to snug more closely with the windsheild, and then sink them in a little more closely to the a-pillar.

In IASCA you have two types of judging classifications. One seat and two seat. Two seat judging is what the more advanced audio setups are in. They're the ones that *should* sound good from either seat with judges in both seats.

Picturing the location of the speakers I was talking about isn't needed at this point. I'm exploring future setups. While at CES this year, I was privy to how Scott set up Black Betty. Now I know how and where he stages his speakers as well as what the specifics of the enclosures are (for the most part). This will make it easier for me to move up into a two seat class OR simply improve on my own setup in the future.

The action shot of the trunk is from a crappy iPhone camera. Being "blurry" is simply an effect of the conditions and lack of a good camera.

So...Pics of the new colored A-pillars! Give!
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:46 AM   #1422
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
So...Pics of the new colored A-pillars! Give!
Per your request!






















D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sound deadening: sq footage amount for 3dr goku87 In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 29 11-14-2013 12:37 PM
2007 Yaris S Sound Deadening sqcomp In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 70 12-13-2010 07:40 PM
Sound deadening 06vitzRS General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 10 05-05-2010 01:51 PM
Sedan Door Panel Deadening sqcomp In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 42 06-01-2009 02:47 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:12 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.